Friday, September 08, 2017

Review: Wild by Adrienne Wilder

Wild finalTitle ~ Wild

Author ~ Adrienne Wilder 

Published ~ 1st September 2017

Genre ~ Contemporary M/M Romance

Rating

1c_thumb21c_thumb31c_thumb41c_thumb61ca_thumb2

goodreads-add-to_thumb

Synopsis

August Vallory had it all. A modeling career, a man he loved, and the extended family he’d acquired in the business. Then the world he knew was torn away when the plane he was on crashed en route to a photo shoot.
Lost in the Alaskan wilderness, August doesn’t stand a chance.
No sane man would choose to live in the Alaskan bush unless he had something to hide. And Keegan Brooks has secrets darker than night, more dangerous than wolves, more brutal than an Alaskan winter.
Every day was a fight for his life until he stumbled upon a downed plane with a lone survivor. Now it’s no longer just Keegan’s life teetering on the edge of survival.
It’s his heart.

 

Debra’s Review

I absolutely love the cover of this book and as mesmerizing as those eyes are, this isn’t a hearts and flowers romance. Adrienne Wilder pulls no punches. Surviving a plane crash is just the start of fashion model August’s challenges. August’s life as he knew it is over. The Alaskan wild is unforgiving territory and even though Keegan has spent more than a decade living rough, it doesn’t make it easier. The threats are varied and everything is stacked against August’s survival, but Keegan is determined to save him. Weather, beasts and medical threats are the most predictable issues. Keegan is running from a dangerous past that he knows will eventually catch up with him.

Keegan has a backstory that he is not proud of. He’s a good man who has done bad things and trying to make things right has forced him off the grid. When he comes upon the wreckage of the plane and finds August alive and trapped in his seat, he doesn’t hesitate to help him. August is living the jet setting fashion model lifestyle, but just before the plane goes down his life is unexpectedly turned upside down.

Over the next weeks and months Keegan nurses August through the worst of his injuries, nearly losing his own life in the process, but becoming more and more attached to the beautiful man as he realizes just how lonely he has been. August relies on Keegan for everything until he is strong enough to start to walk again and contribute. When August recovers enough to finally be able to start to function, the two grow even closer. Their relationship builds and the chemistry ratchets up. Through it all August isn’t what you expect him to be. He’s good hearted and determined to not be a burden. Any chance August has to return home hinges on surviving the winter, but he is soon wondering when the time comes, how will he be able to leave his wild man behind?

Wild is firmly set in the present, but there are a few flashbacks that shed light on both August and Keegan and who they were before. There are a lot of scenes that take place in the wild and they were well-detailed and brought the landscape to life. I could hear the mud squishing and feel the cold seeping into my fingers. The harshness of the surroundings and the ugliness of what needs to be done to survive are a sharp contrast to those tender moments the men manage to steal. Keegan is a complex character and he will have you laughing, crying and cheering. August’s character could get lost next to the larger than life hero, but his strength and compassion keeps that from happening.

The story will keep you on the edge of your seat. Keegan’s been playing a cat and mouse game with a grizzly that seems hell bent on murder and that’s not even the biggest danger he faces. There are people out for revenge, poachers, unrelenting cold and snow and falling in love. Keegan never expected it and knows it’s doomed come the warmer weather when August will surely leave him, and he’s afraid that when August leaves he will leave Keegan broken. Keegan and August are a great team and the emotions are strong, especially when each time someone steps out the door there’s the heart wrenching possibility that they might not make it back.

Wild is a fantastic read with a little bit of everything. It’s gritty, with a touch of darkness - fair warning that the men are living off the land and hunting is a necessity for survival. It’s a love story, it’s hurt-comfort, it’s a thriller and it’s a story about redemption. August and Keegan (and Daisy!) burrowed their way into my heart and I was thrilled to see them get the happy ending they so deserved.

Purchase Links

AMAZON GLOBAL LINK

Wild Banner

Meet Adrienne Wilder

Georgia born and bred, I am an artist, a writer, and a general pain in the ass.

I spend most of my days working on my next book or designing cover art for other writers. I have been in love with writing since I was very young but it wasn't until recently that I decided to pursue it as a profession.

I have experimented in several genres and found that since I identify as male, male romance has been the most comfortable for me to write. I don't discriminate in my books. All characters are fair game. I do however, prefer a happy ending at some level.

I don't write the standard romance book. Some might even argue that what I write isn't romance at all. Personally I think of them as love stories, where even in a fantastical world, there are realistic outcomes to the obstacles the characters face.

Many of my books have dark turns and twists where the characters fight for the light at the end of the tunnel. I write action, fist fights, gun fights, down right dirty evil people who have to be stopped, things catch fire, blow up, and fall in. My characters come in a unique range. They are not all good guys, but the majority of them have very good hearts. Many of them have been through hell in their lives, and many of them have a laundry list of faults. But hopefully they manage to surprise you with their tenacity and loyalty.

If all goes well, there will be a myriad of different kinds of books available this year. If I am really lucky, you will enjoy them.

WEBSITE | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | GOODREADS

AMAZON AUTHOR PAGE

5 comments:

  1. I loved this book! I'm so glad you had it on the blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the wonderful review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I'm glad to see so many people enjoying this story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn it, Debra; now I've got another book to add to my TBR pile and another author to check out. Adrienne Wilder has been recommended to me before, but I never really bothered to check out any of her work BECAUSE my TBR mountain is precarious enough as it is. However, after reading your review I'm going to have to add this one I think. I tend to agree with you on your opinions, and enjoy your thorough-yet-not-spoilery (my own word) reviews, so it's safe to say I'm going to enjoy this one. With so much out there to read, I gotta really weed some out. So thanks for your review, and for helping me decide which books/aughors to add to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry aobut that! :)
      Thanks so much Nihcki. I'm glad I've been able to help add to your TBR mountain and you're enjoying my reviews. I have one too and on it are quite a few of Adrienne's backlist books. If you like contemporary with a dark edge you'll probably like Adrienne's books and I would also recommend the first I read of his, Complementary Colors. He also writes paranormal. The Bound Gods series is the only one I've read so far, a kink heavy fantasy/paranormal if you like heavy kink and are not easily offended by almost anything.

      I really appreciate you taking the time to read and comment. It makes the reviewing and blogging all that more fun. Have a great weekend!

      Delete