Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Charlie Cochet’s Men & Mischief Monthly Author Column… The Tropes We Love and Loathe and Finding Mr. Wrong

Charlie M & M

Hello, all! Thank you so much for joining me here today at Sinfully for my monthly author column. As I was writing this, I realized I missed June! I apologize for that. Things have been so crazy over the last few months with conferences, deadlines, edits, and family stuff that the days have just whizzed by. This month I’m chatting about those fabulous tropes we all love and loathe.

FF_Divider_Pink

I grew up reading romance. It was my favorite genre to read, and now, of course, my favorite to write. I don’t know that there’s a romance trope I haven’t read. For me, romance is all about that HEA, and the journey the characters take to get there. Not sure what a romance trope is? It’s a common plot device used in romance novels which often bring our main characters together on their road to love and a happy ever after. A few well-known tropes: friends to lovers, billionaires, playboy, amnesia, marriage of convenience, best friend’s sibling, secret baby, etc. Why do some of us love reading tropes so much? Because there’s something familiar about them. Something that gives us that warm, fuzzy feeling when we read it.

For some, specific tropes are like candy. They can’t get enough. Others steer clear away from certain tropes. Sometimes in a romance, we get multiple tropes in one story. Billionaire playboy meets rival business partner, who also happens to be his best friend’s brother, and is forced into a marriage of convenience! Cue the dramatic music.

My first trope-tastic story in Dreamspinner’s Dreamspun Desires line was Forgive and Forget. There were several tropes in there, the main one being amnesia. In my upcoming Dreamspun titles, Finding Mr. Wrong, we also have several tropes including class warfare: bad boy/wealthy heir, second chances, childhood sweethearts, and I’m pretty sure there’s another one or two tropes I didn’t mention.

Do you have a favorite romance trope you can’t get enough of? Which trope would you love to see more of? Which would you like to see less of?

FF_Divider_Pink

Finding Mr. Wrong

by Charlie Cochet


Publisher: Dreamspinner Press

Release: 1st September 2017

Genre: Contemporary M/M Romance

goodreads add to

Synopsis

He’s nobody’s definition of Mr. Right—but that might make him perfect.

Matthew Hart is heir to the family fortune and owner of Hart & Home. When a near-death experience has Matthew fretting over the future, he decides he needs a husband, and not just any husband—an appropriate man to protect the Hart legacy. The last thing Matthew expects is to cross paths with Jax Foster, his first love and the boy who crushed his heart when he disappeared.

Jax is unlikely to make Matthew’s list of suitable candidates. Bad boy, vagabond, deep in debt, with a father who can’t keep out of trouble, Jax has nothing to offer—except his heart and a second chance at the romance they never got to explore.

Pre-Order Purchase Link

DreamspinnerPress

READ CHAPTER ONE HERE

FF_Divider_Pink

Meet Charlie Cochet

Charlie_Cochet_by_madison_parker150Charlie Cochet is an author by day and artist by night. Always quick to succumb to the whispers of her wayward muse, no star is out of reach when following her passion. From adventurous agents and sexy shifters, to society gentlemen and hardboiled detectives, there’s bound to be plenty of mischief for her heroes to find themselves in, and plenty of romance, too!

Currently residing in Central Florida, Charlie is at the beck and call of a rascally Doxiepoo bent on world domination. When she isn’t writing, she can usually be found reading, drawing, or watching movies. She runs on coffee, thrives on music, and loves to hear from readers.

Website | THIRDS HQ | Facebook | Facebook Author Page | Twitter | Pinterest | Tumblr | Instagram | Newsletter | DSP |Amazon |Goodreads

FF_Divider_Pink

Giveaway

Each month, on our Author Column posts we will gift to one lucky commenter, a Kindle eBook from your TBR list.

Please leave your email address with your comment so we can contact you.

Good Luck!

26 comments:

  1. My favourite trope is enemies to lovers. It is the one I cannot get enough. Real, deadly enemies (like war enemies) are something I cannot get enough. All that passion...There is no trope I dislike, I can read anything as long as it is well-written and find the plot interesting ;)
    susanaperez7140(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love friends to lovers, second chance, May/December.
    kathleenpower at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really have a favourite trope, I'll pretty much read them all if the have a HEA.
    younela48@yahoo.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find myself avoiding most of the common tropes because they are so overdone it seems. I won't read best-friends-to-lovers (but do enjoy it for secondary characters, which is weird I know), anything to do with pregnancy or kids (nothing romantic about children-should be for AFTER the HEA,IMO), or billionaire anything. I'm wishing for more blue-collar pairings, and for bad guys to remain bad despite falling in love.

    nick442.nrs@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the fun post! My favorite trope is hurt/comfort and I am also partial to enemies to lovers and marriage of convenience.

    jen(dot)f(at)mac(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favourite tropes are Friends to Lovers and Second Chance romance. I know alot of people like the Rent Boy trope but I don't sorry.

    shirleyann2400 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do enjoy a good amnesia story but the 'must marry/live with/ have sex with X to save family' trope really annoys me!!

    Littlesuze at hitmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like just about any trope, but my favorites are bikers, enemies to lovers, mpreg, and blue collar.
    heath0043 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy friends to lovers and gay for you. I don't care for ménage or cheating.
    donnaemayer@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love friends-to-lovers and unresolved sexual tension, but hate The Big Misunderstanding!

    vitajex(At)aol(Dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enemies to friends is on of my favorites so are second chances. After reading the first chapter I'm going to preorder it.
    zetatau at Hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maude, congratulations! You are the lucky winner of this month's column from Charlie. An email is on its way to you. Happy reading!

      Delete
  12. i am a enemies to lover story fanatic
    jmarinich33 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. My most favorite is hurt/comfort & I also love most things with military or veterans. What I most dislike is miscommunication/misunderstanding & anything with blatant misogyny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry forgot my email address: legacylandlisa(at)gmail(dot)com

      Delete
  14. Don't really have a fave. Like most all of them. colby69@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't like 'let me hurt you for the sake of hurting you' whether it be BDSM or just bad boys. I love the 'oh you knocked me off my socks', 'I didn't know it could be like this', and the 'where have you been all my life?' If those are even tropes!

    dfair1951@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tropes? Well I enjoy friends to lover, reunion/second chances, and marriage of convenience.
    humhumbum AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  17. enemies to lovers, hurt/comfort, out for you, amnesia are all good
    the Big Misunderstanding, billionaires, stepbrothers are blah

    leetee2007(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mine is enemies to lovers and forced marriage. They make for amazing conflict.
    debby236 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like most tropes as long as the writing rises above it so to speak to make it real, and not just a device. Altho most tropes are designed to do this, I lean to those that present an extra amount of conflict or hurdles to overcome - e.g.,enemies to lovers, second chances. or recovery from abuse. - Purple Reader,
    TheWrote [at] aol [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the partners to lovers trope and second chance.
    specksus.js@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like the marriage of convenience, opposites attracts (whether is upbringing, May/December, enemies to lovers...), amnesia if it is well done.
    But I'm really fed up with the billionaires, the rent boy, the fake forbidden stepbrother/best friend's brother/brother's best friend, and most of all I absolutely hate the oops baby (more a MF trope obviously, but maybe it exists in mpreg too?).
    I don't know if it's a trope, but I would really like to read more about normal people, with normal jobs and a normal life, and 30/40 year-olds in a story that's not a second chance...

    foebz (AT) hotmail (DOT) com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am a huge fan of enemies to lovers, marriage of convenience and best friends sibling. Tanyamarieward@hotmail (dot) *com*

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm good with all the tropes, really. But my top ones are Ma/Dec, enemies to lovers, bodyguards.
    serena91291@gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  24. My favorite trope is age gap romance (May/December), but I also like the fake boyfriend/husband one as well. :)

    waxapplelover (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete