Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Charlie Cochet’s Men & Mischief Monthly Author Column… Writes about the Dreamspinner Press Author’s Workshop.

Charlie M & M

Hello, all! Thank you so much for joining me once again for my author column here at Sinfully!

FF_Divider_Pink

Early this month I attended Dreamspinner Press’s author workshop. It’s an event I look forward to every year for many reasons. It’s where I get to connect with my fellow DSP authors, sit, chat, brainstorm, and have a good time. It’s also where I get to attend fabulous panels on everything from forensics to marketing. I also get to catch up with the amazing folks who make by books happen, and that’s where the idea for this post came from.

I thought it might be fun to share workshop photos of some of the fabulous people who help bring my books into the world. Just how many people does it take. Lots. Sadly, not everyone is able to attend the workshop, and I wouldn’t be able to fit everyone in this post without it being pages and paged long.

pink-divider (1)_thumb[2]

First, Dreamspinner Press wouldn’t exist without these fabulous ladies. They had a dream, and they made it come true. I am very much in awe of everything they’ve achieved. Dreamspinner Press recently turned ten years old. So much as happened in those ten years.

From left to right: Lynn West, Elizabeth North, Ariel Tachna, Anne Regan, Julianne Bentley, Connie Bailey

Thanks to these ladies and everyone at Dreamspinner, not only has my dream of being a published author come true, but writing has become my career. My books are available around the globe in different languages, and they’ve also been made into audiobooks. The way Dreamspinner forges ahead, constantly looking ahead to the future of publishing, always amazes me.

pink-divider (1)_thumb[2]

The first challenge, is getting the book done. Once I’ve written it, and polished it, I send it off to this lovely lady.

From left to right: Amy DiMartino, Charlie Cochet

Amy DiMartino is a close friend, and one hell of a beta reader. Because she’s a close friend, she has no trouble telling me like it is, and I love that because I know it comes from her heart. In fact, it’s how she became my beta reader. She wasn’t happy about something in one of my books, we discussed it, and she was totally right. I said, “Okay, well how about you read my next book and tell me what you think? Don’t hold back.” She did. I ended up adding 12,000 words after my chat with her.

pink-divider (1)_thumb[2]

Once my book’s been beta’d, it’s submitted to this amazing lady: Elizabeth North, the Executive Director of Dreamspinner Press. I wouldn’t be where I am today without her. She is truly inspiring.

If I get a crazy idea about something I’d like to try, or if I have questions, or concerns, I chat to Elizabeth. Emails from Elizabeth are always exciting because she’s generally the one who lets me know when one of my books has had the foreign rights contracted for translation and lots of fun stuff like that, and she signs the contracts I receive.

pink-divider (1)_thumb[2]

Once my book is contracted it, it goes into the production process which I won’t go into here as it involves lots of fabulous folks, deserves its own post. When my book reaches the editing stage, it’s handed to this amazing lady.

From left to right: Michael Murphy, Desi Chapman

Desi is my senior editor and has been working with me for several months now, since I realized I needed to really get my butt kicked in edits. Some authors are afraid of this, but my editor and her team are not there to tear me or my down my book. They’re there to help me make it the best story it can be. My assigned editing team does that. They’re so wonderfully cheerful about it too. Desi knows more about my books than I do. I was so happy I got to sit down with her and chat about all kinds of things, including the future TIN series.

pink-divider (1)_thumb[2]

During edits, the wonderful art department, headed by Paul Richmond who is Dreamspinner’s Associate Art Director, finds me the right cover artist to work with.

pink-divider (1)_thumb[2]

This is the awesome Lynn West, Editor in Chief, and she helps me with my writing and production schedule.

If I’m having trouble making something work, or falling behind, or need to move something, she helps make that happen. If I have an idea for, say, THIRDS Beyond the Books, I chat to her about it.

pink-divider (1)_thumb[2]

During the production process, I chat with this amazing lady, Poppy Dennison, the Marketing Director for Dreamspinner Press.

I like to start planning my book marketing at least six months before release. If it’s something big, like a long series, I start a year or so before. As I’m writing a book, I think about what I want to do to promote it before, during, and after release day. If there’s something I want to do, but I’m not sure how to do, I ask Poppy. If I get a crazy idea, and want to know if it’s doable, I ask Poppy. I don’t know the ins and outs of third party sellers like Kobo, Barnes & Nobles, and iBooks, or how the almighty Amazon works, so I ask her questions, and she does her best to find the answers.

pink-divider (1)_thumb[2]

Once my book is released, if it’s picked up for audio, it’s handed over to this fabulous gentleman, Andrew Grey who is the Audiobooks Coordinator for Dreamspinner Press. He helps me find the right narrator for my book and oversees the audiobook production process.

pink-divider (1)_thumb[2]

If my book is picked up for in-house translation, it’s handled by this very lovely lady, Ariel Tachna, Dreamspinner’s Translations Coordinator.

pink-divider (1)_thumb[2]

As I mentioned, it takes many, many, many people to get a book published, and these are just a very select few. Every year at the workshop we have a group photo taken. This is only a tiny fraction of the authors currently published with Dreamspinner Press. There’s probably about eight or nine times this now. I love being a part of the Dreamspinner family, and I appreciate everything they do. So much hard work goes into these creating stories, and just as much getting them out into the world. I’m very fortunate to be a part of this amazing group of people.

FF_Divider_Pink

MEET CHARLIE COCHET

Charlie_Cochet_by_madison_parker150Charlie Cochet is an author by day and artist by night. Always quick to succumb to the whispers of her wayward muse, no star is out of reach when following her passion. From adventurous agents and sexy shifters, to society gentlemen and hardboiled detectives, there’s bound to be plenty of mischief for her heroes to find themselves in, and plenty of romance, too!

Currently residing in Central Florida, Charlie is at the beck and call of a rascally Doxiepoo bent on world domination. When she isn’t writing, she can usually be found reading, drawing, or watching movies. She runs on coffee, thrives on music, and loves to hear from readers.

Website | THIRDS HQ | Facebook | Facebook Author Page | Twitter | Pinterest |Tumblr | Instagram | Newsletter | DSP | Amazon | Goodreads

 

FF_Divider_Pink

Upcoming New Release from Charlie

51EPW94OkWL._SY346_

Title: Darkest Hour Before Dawn (THIRDS Book, #9)

Author: Charlie Cochet

Publisher: Dreamspinner Press

Release: 25th April 2017

goodreads add to

Synopsis

THIRDS Team Leader Sebastian Hobbs and Chief Medical Examiner Hudson Colbourn are as much in love now as they were nearly seven years ago when a tragic event on the job destroyed their relationship. The two drift together only to be pulled apart time and time again. When Hudson draws the interest of dangerous enemies, both within and outside the organization, Seb wants nothing more than to protect the man who still means everything to him.

As life-and-death events, an uncertain future, and startling truths draw Hudson and Seb to each other yet again, they must make a choice: trust their love and take strength from what they share, or lose what matters most… for good this time.

Pre-Order Purchase Links

DSP eBook | DSP Paperback

AMAZON | B&N | KOBO | iBOOKS

FF_Divider_Pink

GIVEAWAY

Each week, on our Author Column posts we will gift to one lucky commenter, a Kindle eBook from your TBR list.

Please leave your email address with your comment so we can contact you.

Good Luck!

15 comments:

  1. It is so awesome to see the people behind the scenes of it all! These lucky people have already seen what is in store for Seb and Hudson! Can't wait! :)
    mrussell97@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg, congratulations! You are our lucky winner of this month's author column from Charlie. An email from us is on it's way to you :-)

      Delete
  2. So many great photos. Thank you for sharing them with us. Thank you for post. I'm really looking forward to the release of Darkest Hour Before Dawn.
    humhumbum AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the group photo; Where's Waldo? Lol! I need more than my bifocals to find Charlie amongst the many other authors. I never realized how many folks were involved with each step of publishing a book. An eye-opener for sure, in a good way. Can't wait for more Thirds!

    nick442.nrs@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Charlie, for putting faces to those people I've read about, and even exchanged mails with... Dreamspinner has a great team, who do a wonderful job!
    susanaperez7140(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. that must have been a wonderful workshop to attend!

    leetee2007(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. It great to get a look into all the people who put in such a great job to bring us our Therian heartthrobs! Thanks for sharing with us Charlie!

    Tanyamarieward@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great group of leaders! I especially love Paul Richmond's shirt! Exactly what I imagine an art director would wear!

    dfair1951@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the great post! I loved the photos and learning about all the people involved in publishing books. DSP is a wonderful company.

    jen(dot)f(at)mac(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing about the workshop. I didn't know about the history and background, and I liked how you framed it in the process of publishing a book, and your pics of putting faces to names. I love your work too. - Purple Reader,
    TheWrote [at] aol [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the post. It's really wonderful to place faces with names of these people who help us feed our addiction!
    legacylandlisa(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a reader I found it very inter sting to see, evn at a high level, the process it takes and the amount of people and skills it takes to get a book published. Thanks for showing us. I wonder if DSP's success stems from the fact that a lot of these key peeps are authors too

    Littlesuze at hotmail . Com

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cool to be able to put faces to all the names I've admired!

    --Trix, vitajex(At)Aol(Dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing! Wow, I never iimagined that one book could take that much work in time. I would love to have the chance to meet some authors in the future.

    ReplyDelete