Hello, all! Thank you so much for joining me for another installment of Men & Mischief! Today I’m sharing five things I learned while writing The Soldati Prince, the first book in the Soldati Hearts series.
1. No two shifters are alike. Well, they shouldn’t. As it stands, I have three running shifters series: Soldati Hearts, THIRDS, and A Little Bite of Love. Three different worlds with three different sets of rules, and no one shifter is like the other. A Little Bite of Love revolves around Husky shifters, their origins one of myth and magic, as well as folklore, specifically Russian folklore.
The Soldati in Soldati Hearts are a race of tiger shifters. The THIRDS also has tiger shifters which we refer to as Therians. What makes these tiger shifters different? Everything. In Soldati Hearts, the tiger shifters come from magic. They’ve been around long before humans, residing in a realm beside our own world, a world that had no idea what’s out there, at least not yet. In the THIRDS world, shifters come from science, a mutation created through chemical warfare. Everything about the tiger shifters in these two worlds is different befitting the world they reside in, from the way they shift, to the way they dress, to the way they talk. It all comes down to world building and being true to the character.
2. Getting through the gruff to get at the gooey center. I have to admit I love a gruff alpha. On the outside he’s growly and maybe even a bit of a bastard, but inside he has a gooey center, a soft spot for something or more importantly someone. They try their hardest to protect their hearts. Sometimes he’s the bad boy, like Ash Keeler in the THIRDS, and sometimes he’s an arrogant king who has to learn to have a little faith, like Khalon King in The Soldati Prince. Whether they get dragged into love kicking and screaming, or they come barreling in like a bull in a china shop, writing them is always so much fun.
3. Making things up ain’t easy. You’d think that making stuff up would be easy. It’s not. World building is a long, difficult process. It’s not just about building this new creative world, it’s about making it work, and that involves rules. A world without rules or laws brings chaos. The world of the Soldati is a far cry from the THIRDS world. Each have their own set of rules, and these rules define how characters will act and react to what’s thrown their way. Soldati Hearts is more fantasy than paranormal. The Sodlati Realm is ruled by a tiger-shirt warrior king who wields strong magic, but his power can’t fix everything. Even in a realm of foxlings and demons, magic has limitations. At one point Riley comments on how he had no idea magic would have so many rules and restrictions.
4. Nothing is there for the sake of it. Whether it’s the setting, dressing, secondary characters, background characters, objects, it must all serve a purpose. If a character is one scene, he or she must serve a purpose, must have a personality. The bashful servant in the that scene might turn out to be a prince in another book, or end up falling for a secondary character. Much like in real life, sometime characters come together and they surprise you with the chemistry they develop. When writing a series, everything and everyone is fair game. I love connecting pieces, growing the puzzle until it all starts to form a picture for the reader. Something you mention in book one might be a game changer in book seven.
5. Having fun is key. I’m having a great time with this series, and have just started the second book. I love writing paranormal, love creating new worlds, and the characters to fill that world. I love bringing them together and tearing them apart only to have their love grow stronger before they get their happily ever after.
The Soldati Prince (Soldati Heart #1)
by Charlie Cochet
Title: The Soldati Prince
Author: Charlie Cochet
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
Release: 23rd November 2016
Genre: Paranormal Gay Romance, Fantasy
Cover Artist: L.C. Chase
Length: Novella, 97 pages
One moment, Riley Murrough is living a normal life working in a coffee shop, and the next, he’s running for his life from demons, learns he bears the mark of a shape-shifter king from a magical realm, and—worst of all—he’s destined to become the mated prince to the arrogant tiger-shifter he would rather strangle.
Khalon, the shifter king, is equally distraught at the idea of being bound to a human prince, and along with his Soldati warriors, he sets out to return Riley to his own world, where he belongs. On their journey, they might discover why the goddess brought them together—if they can escape the demons and make it to her alive.
Preorder on DSP
Ebook ISBN-13: 9781634775809
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Charlie Cochet is an author by day and artist by night. Always quick to succumb to the whispers of her wayward muse, no star is out of reach when following her passion. From adventurous agents and sexy shifters, to society gentlemen and hardboiled detectives, there’s bound to be plenty of mischief for her heroes to find themselves in, and plenty of romance, too!
Currently residing in Central Florida, Charlie is at the beck and call of a rascally Doxiepoo bent on world domination. When she isn’t writing, she can usually be found reading, drawing, or watching movies. She runs on coffee, thrives on music, and loves to hear from readers.
Each week, on our Author Column posts we will gift to one lucky commenter, a Kindle eBook from your TBR list.
Please leave your email address with your comment so we can contact you.
::: And the winner is……. PREETHI ……. CONGRATULATIONS! :::