Monday, September 05, 2016

Release Day Review: Tart and Sweet (Candy Man #4) by Amy Lane

tartandsweetTitle ~ Tart and Sweet (Candy Man #4)

Author ~ Amy Lane

Publisher ~ Dreamspinner Press

Published ~ 5 September 2016

Genre ~ Contemporary M/M Romance





In the Army, Robbie Chambers turned on his lover out of fear—and he hasn’t been able to live with himself since. Now he’s out of the Army but still trapped in the closet that brought on his most cowardly moment, and he starts to think he’ll never be able to fight his way free.

Until he sees Cy McVeigh. Beautiful and uninhibited, Cy is dancing on the boardwalk at Old Sac for no other reason than the moment called for it. Robbie not only joins in the dance but is smitten from the very beginning.

However, Robbie still has old business to clear up, and when he helps out a kid in need and comes face-to-face with the man he betrayed, he’s forced to come clean with himself. He can’t redeem his mistake if he’s still locked into his old patterns, and he won’t ever be worthy of Cy if he can’t earn Adam’s forgiveness. He’s going to need all the help he can get from the people at Candy Heaven in order to make things right with his past so he can have a future with Cy.

Lisa’s Review

Tart and Sweet is the fourth book in Amy Lane’s Candy Man series. While I did find this book an enjoyable read, I sure do wish I had paid attention when I requested it and knew that this was not a stand-alone nor the first in a series. While it does deal with a new couple within the series there is a back story and I believe I would have appreciated this book so much more if I had read the first three books in sequential order. You can certainly stumble your way through this story just as I did; however, I do feel like big chunks of information were absent and I felt like I was missing out by starting with book four in the series. So, please take my rating and review with a grain of salt. Ms. Lane is a strong writer and had I read the other books I am positive that this would have been a more fulfilling read for me.

Robbie Chambers is a character that we apparently first learn about in book one in this series. He’s someone that carries a lot of guilt and regret upon his shoulders due to past mistakes regarding how he treated a former lover, someone he really cared about but was too afraid to take the jump with. When Robbie meets Cy McVeigh he’s immediately drawn to the beautiful man and his free spirit. He wants more of Cy and wants to be someone who can be worthy of him; however, Robbie has a lot of life lessons to learn and in order to move forward with Cy he must forgive himself and make amends for the mistakes of his past.

I was certainly rooting for Robbie and Cy and wanted them to get their happy forever. I loved how Cy believed in Robbie and was truly a huge support for him as he figured out his life. Watching the two of them stumble their way through the fragility of starting a relationship and moving into a stronger and deeper togetherness was lovely. There was a copious amount of other characters who had obviously been introduced in the previous books. While I did enjoy getting to know them a bit in this book, I did feel like I was missing out considering I truly did not know the whole of their stories.

All in all, Tart and Sweet is a book that I would recommend with the stipulation that you should read the first three books in the series first. It felt like that series came to fruition in this book and I would have bought into this much more had I been familiar with the other characters who appeared and their storylines. I will say that I did really enjoy Amy Lane’s witty and humorous writing style and would not hesitate to read future books by this author.

Purchase Links




Meet Amy Lane

Amy Lane exists happily with her noisy family in a crumbling suburban crapmansion, and equally happily with the surprisingly demanding voices who live in her head.

She loves cats, movies, yarn, pretty colors, pretty men, shiny things, and Twu Wuv, and despises house cleaning, low fat granola bars, and vainglorious prickweenies.

She can be found at her computer, dodging housework, or simultaneously reading, watching television, and knitting, because she likes to freak people out by proving it can be done.



No comments:

Post a Comment