Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Charlie Cochet’s Men & Mischief Monthly Author Column… On the Road.

Charlie-M--M_thumb1[2]

Hello, all! Last week I attended my first YaoiCon, and I had a fabulous time. I got to hang out with fellow authors and friends, met new readers, and got to chat with some of the THIRDS Nerds!

FF_Divider_Pink

While I was there, I took lots of pictures, as it was also my first trip to San Francisco. A friend of mine had a fabulous idea and suggested I bring mini-Sloane along, so I did. He traveled around San Francisco, taking pictures, and joining in on the shenanigans. I thought I'd share some of those photos with you.

sloane-books-2

Here we have mini-Sloane giving some love to his partner and love Dexter J. Daley. Or he might just be aware of all the six-packs around him and going into "this is mine" mode, which is more likely. Below we have Sloane hanging out with Kai Gracen. Sloane's missing his Dex, so he's commandeered the gummy bears and Cheez Doodles the THIRDS Nerds brought me. His attention also appears to be momentarily compromised by the fella on the cover of Gravitational Attraction. He's definitely missing Dex.

sloane-books

Here we have Sloane hanging out with Catherine Dair's Pride bunnies. Freddy MacKay made the introductions. Not sure what Pip and Sloane are looking at, but it's obviously fascinating.

sloane-and-pride-bunnies

After meeting the Pride bunnies, Sloane decided to hang out with Shira Anthony's mermen. I think Sloane's secretly digging that trench coat.

sloane-and-shira

On Saturday we had a visit from some THIRDS Nerds cosplayers. How awesome is that? I was blown away by the attention to detail, from the color of the uniforms to the zipties, to the patches. I'm constantly amazed by all the love shown this series by its awesome readers.

thirds-nerds-tactical-2

thirds-nerds-tactical

Afterward, we headed out in the BearCat driven by the awesome Rhys Ford.

sloane-rhys-bearcat

bearcat

YaoiCon was spent chatting about books, talking to readers, hanging out with fantastic folks, eating yummy food, and checking out the fabulous sights. All this to me makes a conference a success, because for me it's not just about selling books, it's about connecting with people and sharing experiences. There's nothing like being surrounded by people who are as passionate about romance as you are. We had 8 to 9 Dreamspinner authors at the Dreamspinner table at any one time, and I loved how everyone was so supportive of each other. We didn't just talk to readers about our own books, we talked to them about books by our fellow authors. Books we enjoyed reading, characters we loved. It was an incredibly positive, encouraging, and amazing. Looking forward to next year already!

san-fran

Would you like to know where I'll be next? Check out my News & Events page for upcoming conventions. Have you attended a book conference? What was your favorite experience?

FF_Divider_Pink

Giveaway

Each week, on our Author Column posts Sinfully will gift to one lucky commenter, a gay romance Kindle eBook from your TBR list.

Enter the Rafflecopter below for your chance to win

Good Luck X

a Rafflecopter giveaway

19 comments:

  1. Thank you for the post, Charlie! GRL sounds like fun. I'm glad you have enjoyed it so much. I do hope I'll be able to attend one some time in the future...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've attended the National Book Festival a couple times. I'm too shy to talk with anyone else, but I enjoy being around other people who share my passion and my favorite part is hearing authors on various panels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YaoiCon looked like fun. I have't got to a book con, but my favorite conf I've been to was an organizational excellence one in New Orleans, where I met my husband (we got married in July :-)
    Purple Reader - TheWrote [at] aol [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  4. So busy! Congrats and thanks for sharing :D
    I never had the chance to attend a book conference... Maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing those awesome photos! San Francisco is my favorite city in the US, so I am glad you (and Sloane) had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The closest I've been to a book conference was the UK Gay Romance Book Signing in London back in 2014. I wish I could afford to go to one in US as they all sound like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like tons of fun! Mini Sloane is too cute. I've never been to any cons at all. Maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the fun post! It looks like you and Mini Sloan had a blast. I haven't made it to a book conference yet, but I really want to go to GRL and the Rainbow Book Fair in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My sisters usually go to Yaoicon but they've decided to skip this year =( Sadly I've never been but it looks like fun. Thanks for sharing those photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never been to a book conference...they sound like a lot of fun!
    I'd love to attend GRL one day but it's not really likely to happen :\

    ReplyDelete
  11. No, I have never been to a book conference, we don't have that in Indonesia. But I visited book fairs in Jakarta, of course that is not exactly the same haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like fun. I went to a book signing. I have to go more but I have no one to go with. Bummer

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sigh, I so wanted to go, but the timing was bad (my favorite band was touring that week, and I was exhausted). I wonder if it's always in Burlingame? (It's harder for me to get there than SF for some reason, because the Caltrain schedule is weird near the Hyatt during the week.) I did do one day of ALA SF last year, and met none other than the illustrious Amy Lane! (She gave me a hug!!!)

    --Trix, vitajex(at)Aol(Dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have not attended a book conference. I think my favorite part would be getting to meet other people who read and love my favorite books.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't been able to attend one yet- hopefully will get to in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't been able to attend one yet but I'd love to. Hopefully in the near future!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've benever attended a book conference but I would love to! I always read how much fun people have in them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for showing us mini-Sloane's adventure to Yaoi-Con! I have sadly not been to a book conference. There aren't any out here in no man's land, but some day when things with the kiddos get more calm (haha)!

    ReplyDelete