Thursday, August 25, 2016

Audiobook Review: Among The Living (Psycop #1) by Jordan Castillo Price

22888714

Title: Among The Living

Author: Jordan Castillo Price

Publisher: JCP Books LLC

Release: 8th August 2014

Length: 2 hrs and 59 mins

Genre: M/M (crime / paranormal)

Synopsis

Victor Bayne, the psychic half a PsyCop team, is a gay medium who's more concerned with flying under the radar than in making waves.

He hooks up with handsome Jacob Marks, a non-psychic (or "Stiff") from an adjacent precinct at his ex-partner's retirement party, and it seems like his dubious luck has taken a turn for the better. But then a serial killer surfaces who can change his appearance to match any witness' idea of the world's hottest guy.

Solving murders is a snap when you can ask the victims whodunit, but this killer's not leaving any spirits behind.

STORY

grey stargrey stargrey stargrey stargrey star

NARRATION

grey stargrey stargrey stargrey star

[pink-divider-1_thumb2_thumb1_thumb_t%255B2%255D.png]

Mark’s Review

Why haven’t I picked this series up before now? These books have been around for a while but I just haven’t managed to get around to them. You know, too many books not enough time, but oh my I should have done this earlier. I liked this more than I actually thought I would. Wasn’t sure if the paranormal aspect would be a little too much for me to get into. Well, I took the plunge by getting the audiobook and…………………

I ABSOLUTLEY ADORED IT!

It was just the right balance of murder-mystery, paranormal and gay romance. What more could I wish for? For me personally it was like reading M/M Romance meets the X-Files and Buffy. Loved every minute of it.

Victor is psychic and works with the police to solve crimes and murders. I wasn’t quite sure what to make of him at first. He obviously has a gift that is also a handicap too in many respects. This gift needs to be controlled with drugs when he’s not using it otherwise it drives him to despair. So yes, in many ways a broken character with a gift, something that makes him very vulnerable and possibly infuriating for others but I could also see the adorable side too. Someone who would like to be in a relationship but just doesn’t somehow see to think that will happen to him so just takes his opportunities where he can get them I guess.

Through a series of events he is paired up with Jacob Marks. A normal cop with no psychic abilities. This guy is just sex on legs so no wonder the two of them end up  getting it on. Their first encounter is just a bathroom quickie before they are paired up to work together. However, when their chief of police put them together then it’s was obvious more that these two are going to make one explosive pair. And did they? Phew, the sex was off the scale! But this is what I really liked too, that the sex did not distract from the main plot of the story. Added at just the right times while keeping the pace of the murder-mystery going to. It’s too early and their lives are far too complicated to say whether this might turn into a solid relationship but it would be nice if it does. I guess the only to find that out is to continue with the series.

This book covers a lot of ground in a short space of time which means there is no hanging around for intricate narratives or pages of background descriptions before. The story is off and running from the word go. That’s what I love about such books. Also we are introduced to a collection of wonderful secondary characters that all add to the story and hope to hear more from them in future books too.

This was a wonderful first book to a series. That had me in its grip from the very first chapter and didn’t let up until we get to the final conclusion. Is there a conclusion, well yes, not the one I was bargaining on but I found it all the more intriguing due to this. I have now started this series and I will be committed to hearing the remaining books out. Can’t let these go past me any longer.

Narration

This isn’t the first book I’ve listened to narrated by Gomez Pugh, the first one being Winter Kill by Josh Lanyon. I loved his narration in this book and thought it an ideal choice of narration for another murder-mystery even if there is a touch of paranormal in it. Well, I wasn’t disappointed. His voice characterisations are great, suitably strong and “macho” for characters involved in law enforcement. I could really envisage Jacob Marks just oozing testosterone everywhere – lol! However, I sometimes just feel that his female voice characterisations for me are somehow a little affected. It’s nothing that distracts me from the story or the brilliant narration it’s just a personal thing my ears pick up on. As the story reaches its final conclusion with Victor rushing to save Jacob’s life my heart racing with adrenaline listening to Gomez which is always a good sign that the suspense has been built up gradually throughout the book without me noticing it.

[pink-divider-1_thumb2_thumb1_thumb_t%255B2%255D.png]

Audio Sample

[pink-divider-1_thumb2_thumb1_thumb_t%255B2%255D.png]

Meet Jordan Castillo Price

jcp-200Author and artist Jordan Castillo Price is the owner of JCP Books LLC. Her paranormal thrillers are colored by her time in the midwest, from inner city Chicago, to small town Wisconsin, to liberal Madison.

Jordan is best known as the author of the PsyCop series, an unfolding tale of paranormal mystery and suspense starring Victor Bayne, a gay medium who's plagued by ghostly visitations. Also check out her new series, Mnevermind, where memories are made...one client at a time.

With her education in fine arts and practical experience as a graphic designer, Jordan set out to create high quality ebooks with lavish cover art, quality editing and gripping content. The result is JCP Books, offering stories you'll want to read again and again.

Connect with Jordan

WEBSITE | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | GOODREADS

[pink-divider-1_thumb2_thumb1_thumb_t%255B2%255D.png]

Purchase Links

AMAZON | AUDIBLE US | AUDIBLE UK | AUDIBLE AU | AUDIBLE DE | AUDIBLE FR

Ebook Purchase Links

AMAZON | B&N | KOBO

No comments:

Post a Comment