Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Charlie Cochet’s Men & Mischief Monthly Author Column… THIRDS & Change is Coming.

Charlie M & M


Hello all! Thank you for joining me here for another installment of Men & Mischief! In just a little over two weeks, the next book in the THIRDS series is out. Smoke & Mirrors marks the seventh book in the series. It also marks the turning point. In Smoke & Mirrors we get answers to many questions, and we reach the moment the series has been building up to. It’s filled with action, danger, drama, and romance.

SMTeaserAvatarSMOne question I’m receiving from readers is, “what’s going to happen to the THIRDS?” The THIRDS is far from over. When I set out to write this series, I knew what direction I wanted it to go in, for the most part. With characters like Dex you never know for sure. You can have one thing in mind and he leads you completely astray. Anyway, I had a set number of books in mind for the original THIRDS series with events I knew would need to happen by book 9, the final book. By the time I was halfway through the series I would know whether I’d be ending the series at 9, or continuing in the direction I wanted to go in if certain factors were in play by then, namely 1) I was still having fun writing the series, and 2) Readers were still enjoying the series. Thankfully, both of those factors continue, so by the time Catch a Tiger by the Tail was released, I knew what I was going to do.

On July 7th, is the THIRDS two-year anniversary! Woot! You can bet we’re going to celebrate with an anniversary event full of giveaways and goodies, but on that day I’ll also be announcing what’s heading your way for the THIRDS. I’m super excited about it, and I hope readers will be just as excited. So the answer to reader questions of “is book 9 the end?” No. No it isn’t. But like with any series, change has to happen. I want the THIRDS guys to end in a bang, the way they deserve. So, although it is the end of the original THIRDS series, it is not the last we’ll be seeing of Dex, Sloane, and the Destructive Delta crew. By the end of Smoke & Mirrors, readers will have an idea of what’s coming.

Change in a series is always scary for both the author and reader, but change can be good. It’s time to kick things up a notch, and take the THIRDS to the next level. I hope you join me along for the ride.

What do you love most about reading a series?


Smoke & Mirrors

Charlie Cochet

Smoke&Mirrors300Genre: Paranormal Gay Romance

Series: THIRDS

Length: Novel, 91,512

Published: July 8th, 2016

Publisher: Dreamspinner Press 

Cover Artist: L.C. Chase

Ebook ISBN-13: 9781634773871

Paperback ISBN-13: 9781634773874

Life for Dexter J. Daley has never been easy, but he’s always found a way to pick himself back up with a smile on his face. Taken from his home, and the arms of his boyfriend and THIRDS partner, Sloane Brodie, Dex finds himself in a situation as mysterious and lethal as the Therian interrogating him. Dex learns what he’s secretly believed all along: his parents’ death wasn’t an accident.

Discovering the whole truth about John and Gina Daley’s homicide sets off a series of events that will change Dex and Sloane’s lives forever. As buried secrets rise to the surface and new truths are revealed, Dex and Sloane’s love for each other is put to the test, with more than their relationship on the line. If traversing the waters of murder and secret government agencies wasn’t enough, something inexplicable has been happening to Dex—and nothing will ever be the same.




FF_Divider_Pink THIRDS-Series-Banner


Hell & High Water (THIRDS, Book 1) Blood & Thunder (THIRDS Book 2) Rack & Ruin (THIRDS, Book 3) Rise & Fall (THIRDS, Book 4) Against the Grain (THIRDS, Book 5) Catch a Tiger by the Tail (THIRDS, Book 6) Smoke & Mirrors (THIRDS, Book 7)

THIRDS Beyond the Books: Volume 1


Meet Charlie Cochet


Charlie Cochet is an author by day and artist by night. Always quick to succumb to the whispers of her wayward muse, no star is out of reach when following her passion. From adventurous agents and sexy shifters, to society gentlemen and hardboiled detectives, there’s bound to be plenty of mischief for her heroes to find themselves in, and plenty of romance, too!

Currently residing in Central Florida, Charlie is at the beck and call of a rascally Doxiepoo bent on world domination. When she isn’t writing, she can usually be found reading, drawing, or watching movies. She runs on coffee, thrives on music, and loves to hear from readers.

Website | THIRDS HQ | Facebook | Facebook Author Page | Twitter | Pinterest|Tumblr | Instagram | Newsletter | DSP |Amazon |Goodreads



Each week, on our Author Column posts we will gift to one lucky commenter answering the author question, a Kindle eBook from your TBR list.

Please leave your email address with your comment so we can contact you.

Good Luck

::: And the winner is……. Allie……. CONGRATULATIONS! :::


  1. I love knowing there is more of Dex and the Delta guys on the way!! Meeting characters who I already like and watching their evolution is what I like more of a series... I honestly don't think I'll ever get tired of the THIRDS! Thank you, Charlie!!! ;)

  2. When I read a book and really connect with the characters I want to know what happens next with them or simply to spend more time with them (weirdly put I know). That's what I love most about series. I don't think I will ever grow tired of Dex! Thanks for the giveaway.

  3. Look forward to reading Smoke and Mirrors! I really interested in seeing how you will be changing things up.

  4. For as much as I love "getting in on the ground floor" as it were (ie, catching a series just as the first book is published), there's a comfort in being able to go immediately to the next book, especially as each one ends in a cliffhanger! I love it when I can laugh and cry and celebrate and worry along with the characters because they feel so real in dialogue and action.

    Now, having read an ARC of Smoke & Mirrors and LOVED IT, I'll be eagerly waiting with the rest of you for the next installment and imagining storylines in my head about the other teams and what's happening in THEIR lives.

  5. I love series for the character development, the ongoing story of their lives. There are a few series that I read and love, but the first really long series I read was and still is the In Death series by JD Robb almost 49 books in and going strong! I really can't wait for July! Just sayin!

  6. I don't ever want this series to end! I am so glad it will live on and look forward to where it goes.

  7. Looking forward to reading Smoke & Mirrors and to your big announcement on July 7th!

    The series I love best are the ones like THIRDS were you get to see how characters grow and change, learn new things about them and also have secrets, plots etc revealed. If books focus on different characters each time, I prefer that the characters from previous books play some role so I can get updated on them.


  8. When I read a series, especially one with lots of books in it like the THIRDS I find myself thinking about the characters and how they would react to my everyday life. I remember when I saw The Force Awakens for the first time, half way through the movie I thought to myself I wonder what Dex and Sloane will think when they see this movie. Even though they are fictional I love how attached you can get to characters when you read a series!

    Thank you so much for this chance at a giveaway! I love these author columns :)

  9. One thing I love about series is seeing how the characters' relationship grow & change. I also love seeing what happens with their friends' lives.

  10. What I love about a much loved series is that the amazing author has the time to do the following...
    1) more in depth character development of not only the main, but the supporting cast (less angst and more quirky sweetness, pretty please)
    2) more off page sexy times so can use remaining contracted pages for more plot *smile*
    3) can create a nascent paranormal super power and have more time to really develop it into something incredible.
    Charlie, I sound like a broken record when I comment on your amazing talent to create a world that sucks you in and have you considering taking the day off work so you can indulge in the long awaited next book on release day. And I must commend you for trying to get the next book out as quickly as possible when most other authors take a full year. And thank you for doing all the other snippets and blogs to keep your fans going while we wait for that next book. Just....thank you...thank you...thank you!

    1. Hi Allie, congratulations you are our lucky winner if this month's author column from Charlie. An email is on its way to you :-)

  11. Compared to one shots that are either too long to read or have hurried storylines,or worse, open endings (of course, some series have them too, but you never know till you get to the end and the author pulls the rug from under you), what I love most about reading a series is how the characters interact and grow around each another in time. Not to mention the fact that series always have cliffhangers that leave you waiting at the edge of your seat for the next installment. Of course, side stories don't hurt either, as it gives readers an insight to the characters' lives when they're not kicking butt or whatever.

    In the case of THIRDS, it's like you're continually guessing as to what would happen next or who's behind this or that while reading the book and then feeling like you need this to be a THIRDS Thursday prompt or wishing that time would fastforward so you can get your hands on the next book.

  12. What isn't there to love about the book? It has a great plot line. The characters are lovable, there's nice action and suspense and the romance <3

    humhumbum AT yahoo DOT com

  13. I like reading a series more compared to a stand alone because I LOVE revisiting these characters that I've fallen in love with. For instance, Cost of Repairs series by A.M Arthur, I love being able to see where the characters are at even though the sequels and so on aren't about them. I love knowing/seeing through eyes of these other characters that they're indeed happy. Even if they don't cross paths with previous characters, once I'm familiar in a world I love being able to get back into that atmosphere.
    Small shorts or free snippets are all good too, but that's what I love most in a series. the possibility of seeing the previous characters in their happiness while falling in love with the new ones. :)


  14. Some of the things I love about reading a series: World and character development and the opportunity to become immersed in both, a feeling of comfort due to familiarity, and the anticipation of what is to come, i.e. how relationships will develop and where the story line will lead us in the next installment. All that being said, THIRDS is definitely one of my favorite series. Really looking forward to hearing about the upcoming changes.

  15. Very excited to hear that this series is going to continue and I'm looking forward to the next book! I love spending time with favorite characters in series and seeing grow and their relationships evolve. It's always fun to return to beloved worlds. violet817(at)aol(dot)com

  16. I always like seeing side characters I like from previous books get their own story!

    Trix, vitajex(At)aol(Dot)com

  17. What I love about reading a series that you get to keep seeing the characters. Whether each book focuses on a different lead character or follows one single person, you get see the people you have grown to care about as they grow and change.

  18. I love this series because it has new elements some shifter books don't have. I'm happy it's not going to be one of those 20-something-never-ending series because at some point they get boring and things drag.

  19. I like going back to known and loved characters in a series, it's kind of getting back together with an old friend. But I also like to see a satisfying end to it, cause too often I feel like some series (not the THIRDS... hopefully never the THIRDS) are dragging after too many books, making readers lose interest and finally coming to an abrupt and disappointing ending...
    foebz (AT) hotmail (DOT) com

  20. I love getting to know the characters. The backstory and also their future as a couple. Thanks so much for sharing.

    waxapplelover (at) gmail (dot) com

  21. I love getting to know the characters. The backstory and also their future as a couple. Thanks so much for sharing.

    waxapplelover (at) gmail (dot) com

  22. What I like about reading a series is that you really get a feel for the world. Whether it is their town or friends or if it is a fantasy world all together. I like that you get to build on it all in a series and not start from the beginning with each book.