Monday, May 16, 2016

Featured Guest Author: Kate McMurray on Top of the Second with Out in the Field.


Happy Release Day to Kate McMurray!

We are thrilled to welcome Kate McMurray to Sinfully as she celebrates the re-release of her novel Out in the Field.


Top of the Second

By Kate McMurray

The funny thing about getting the rights back to an old book is that, in some ways, it feels like you get a do-over.

Sort of. Out in the Field is probably the book I’m best known for, and given how many people have read the book, I didn’t want to change anything radically. But it still gave me an opportunity to do some things right that I didn’t the first time.

I sold the first edition of Out in the Field on spec in December of 2011, with only half the manuscript written. The book was due in mid-February. I was excited to have sold the book, but something about that looming deadline paralyzed me. I’d never sold a book on proposal before, and I hadn’t anticipated that deadline being such an issue. I kept thinking that if I didn’t pull this off, if I didn’t write a solid story with a satisfying ending, I was letting people down. I stalled through all of January, writing a little here or there.

Then, with two weeks to go before the deadline, I spent one feverish weekend writing almost the entire second half of the book in one go.

In some ways, I think this was the secret to the novel’s success; I didn’t have time to overthink anything.

But still, I ended up turning it in a little late, which meant we kind of raced through the editorial process. I was certain the first edition had mistakes in it. And, sure, I’ve received reviews and email over the year pointing out little errors in my baseball scenes, but generally, reader response to the book was overwhelmingly positive.

Getting the rights back felt like an opportunity to re-edit the book, with enough time to slow down the process and do it right. My editor at Dreamspinner is fantastic, and I knew she’d be able to help me spruce it up. It would be the first time I even really looked at the book since before it was published.

So we got to work. We fixed errors. We edited out some of my writing tics and tightened the language in spots. I updated several scenes to reflect the progress LGBT athletes have made over the last couple of years. (And I also edited for technological progress. Iggy had a flip phone in the first edition.) I added some new scenes to show plot points that were off the page before, including a new scene with Iggy’s mother. In all, I added 5,000 words.

I’m really pleased with the new edition. It’s the same book at its core, but with a new sheen. I hope that fans of the original find something new to love in it, and that new readers love the book as much as I do.


Out in the Field

Kate McMurray


Publisher ~ Dreamspinner Press 

Published ~ 16th May 2016

Genre ~ Contemporary Sports M/M Romance





Matt Blanco is a legend on the Brooklyn Eagles, but time and injuries have taken their toll. With his career nearing its end, he’s almost made it to retirement without anyone learning his biggest secret: he’s gay in a profession not particularly known for its tolerance.

Iggy Rodriquez is the hot new rookie in town, landing a position in the starting lineup of the team of his dreams and playing alongside his idol, Matt Blanco. Iggy doesn’t think it can get any better, until an unexpected encounter in the locker room with Matt proves him wrong.

A relationship—and everything it could reveal—has never been in the cards for Matt, but Iggy has him rethinking his priorities. They fall hard for each other, struggling to make it through trades, endorsement deals, and the threat of retirement. Ultimately they will be faced with a choice: love or baseball?


Purchase Links




Connect with the Author

Kate McMurray is an award-winning romance author and an unabashed romance fan. When she’s not writing, she works as a nonfiction editor, dabbles in various crafts, and is maybe a tiny bit obsessed with base­ball. She has served as President of Rainbow Romance Writers and is currently the president of the New York City chapter of RWA. She lives in Brooklyn, NY.


No comments:

Post a Comment