Friday, April 08, 2016

Review: #Rev (GearShark #2) by Cambria Hebert

28802913Title ~ #Rev (GearShark #2)

Author ~ Cambria Hebert

Published ~ 27th March

Genre ~ Contemporary M/M Romance





Trent Mask puts the REV in revolution.
A line has been drawn.
Indie vs Pro
Here at GearShark, we’re straddling that line to bring you exclusive coverage of what some have dubbed the war of racing.
Every war starts with a spark and ends in revolution.
Drew Forrester was the spark,
but his second-in-command is the REVolution.
What does it take to stand brave in the face of opposition?
resolve of steel…
Stubborn will…
And a heart that refuses to give up.
It isn’t just the drivers in this war.
The revolution is about more than just racing.
It’s about shattering labels and taking risks.
So we asked Trent Mask: Truth or Dare?
His answer?
Check out the full feature article inside…

Freya’s Review

Here we continue the story of Drew and Trent. Drew is the talented Driver, and Trent is his backup. At the end of the last book, Drew and Trent declared their love for each other. Trent was beaten up by an Omega housemate called Con and his band of thugs. Also, understanding the racing car world Drew was about to be thrust into, Trent tried to show how much he loved Drew by doing what was best for Drew’s career – what that is you’ll have to read the last book. But, let’s just say, it left one hell of a cliffhanger.

It’s impossible to read this book without having read the first one, Junkie. I adored that book so much it was my January pick of the month. It may be even worth going back and reading it again to familiarise yourself with the characters – it’ll remedy any memory loss of the cast.

As already said, I loved Junkie and as such I couldn’t wait to reacquaint myself with the boys and their world. These guys are so damned adorable they turned my heart into knots again. Trent is such a strong character, in presence and physique. Drew is the perfect accompaniment to him. The protectiveness and support they show to each other melted me and was a delight to read.

Drew has to fight for Trent, which makes for an emotional start to the story. This immediately reconnected me to the boys. They are so strong and yet so very vulnerable at the same time. Their love for one another is everything. So is their need to protect each other, and this plays a huge card in this volume.

I greatly enjoyed this book. It was NOT a replica of the first, which can sometimes be the case with follow ups. Instead, #Rev veers away from the racetrack and settles more on the personal lives of Drew and Trent, though the racing activity lies in the background. That being said, it was active in other engaging ways.

All sorts of things cross my mind while reading, and on one occasion when Drew and Trent were making love (other than the standard preparation) the positioning seemed very much like they were engaging as a man and a woman rather than two guys. I’m sure this wasn’t the actual case, but that’s how it read. Particularly since it was stated later that, only at the point of orgasm did Trent lift his legs and wrap them around Drew. It wasn’t as clear cut as it could have been, and I couldn’t help feeling that an extra sentence or two would have stopped me ruminating over what would have been one of the most emotional and sensitive sex scenes I’d ever read.

Also, I found some of the smaller details missed out like they’re discussing clothing while, in theory, cum is splattered all over one. There are a few unexpected jumps, too, that stuttered my reading. I’m all for the unexpected. But these made me stop and check what I’d read. In one such case, Drew led Trent to the bathroom with the promise of more, having already given him a blow job. The chapter suddenly ended, and the next minute they were heading to Drew’s parent's house. I felt like I’d been cheated out of a sex scene. I am probably wrong, but, it’s the lack of finer points that makes me feel that this book was produced quicker than Junkie to ride on its wave of success, the result being, the detail is not quite as polished.

#Rev is told from the POV’s of Drew and Trent, and although there is some crossover between view change and scene, it is relatively small. The lack of repetition is a difficult thing to achieve, so I say “Bravo,” to Cambria for her expertise. Though, with the changing viewpoints, I occasionally had to regroup my mind as to who was saying ‘I’ in the paragraph.

From start to finish, Junkie was high octane gas. For me, #Rev ran on unleaded. I only say that because Junkie got every fibre in me vibrating with excitement and emotion. #Rev is different again, and I can’t help feeling it would have benefited from at least one official ‘thrill of the competition,' racetrack special. I know I already said - I liked that it wasn’t a replica, and there are some driving scenes, but after such an intense first book, I missed the track action. Each to his own, eh. It is still a book very much worth reading. In fact, it will be virtually impossible to read Junkie and not go out and buy #Rev, purely to get closure.

What I found in #Rev was a tale love, coming out, and fusion between two men into one soul. Inventive plotting and revenge on the four frat brothers who beat up Trent. There are periods of absolute delight, and scenes of incredibly intense emotion. And I loved some of the phrases used, like comparing the boys to a snowdrift and snowplough.

Everything is made better with French fries.

Purchase Link



#Junkie (GearShark #1)



Drew Forrester is a total adrenaline junkie.
His high of choice?
The faster, the better.
He’s been making waves in Maryland’s underground racing circuit since he crossed the state line, and after speaking with him, we know he’s not hitting the brakes anytime soon.
So what exactly does it take to burn rubber and make a name for yourself in a world where the only rule is there are no rules?
You gotta be hungry…
You gotta have balls…
And you can never back down.
What’ve we learned here at GearShark?
Drew is all of the above.
We also know he’s got some secrets buried under his hood.
Secrets we think are loaded with octane and just might set the world of cars on fire.
Check out the full feature article inside…
**This book contains an M/M romance relationship.



Connect with the Author


No comments:

Post a Comment