Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Charlie Cochet’s Men & Mischief Monthly Author Column… What the Winchesters did for me. TV and character.

Charlie M & M


What the Winchesters did for me. TV and character.

Hello all! Thank you so much for joining me today at Sinfully for another one of my monthly author columns. Today I thought I’d chat about TV characters and how they can improve your writing.

A few years ago when I was working the EDJ (evil day job) full-time, and writing during every spare possible moment, I didn’t watch much TV. I tended to watch sitcoms when I could since those episodes were usually about thirty minutes long. I did go to the movies every weekend and was pretty up to date on those, but the idea of sitting down in front of the TV on a specific day for an hour every week to watch a TV show was laughable. My ever changing work schedule alone would guarantee I missed an episode or three.

And then came Netflix.

Welcome to the wonderful world of TV binging. I knew just where to start. For years, friends had been telling me about this TV show called Supernatural. Something about brothers hunting monsters. The family business. Lots of plaid. The guys were gorgeous and the premise sounded like fun. Bring it on.

Several weeks and seven seasons later, you could say I was hooked. Actually, you could say I was a wee bit (read a lot) obsessed. Not so much because of the storyline, but the characters. As a writer, and someone who’s always adored creating characters, I was enthralled with the Winchesters. In those seven seasons I watched these two characters get dragged to hell and back. Literally. These characters grew and evolved from season to season. They were complex, constantly forced to sacrifice and give, and when there was no more to give, give some more. I cried for these guys. Ugly tears. Dean stole my heart and trampled on it with his one single man-tear. They made me laugh, made me worry, made me scream at them in frustration. There was colorful language involved. I won’t lie.

It occurred to me that I couldn’t think of another show that had ever run me through such a range of emotions like this. (I’ve heard of Game of Thrones. I’m not sure I’m ready for that level of emotional compromise). That these characters were so real, they’d become a part of my life. It hit me then how freaking fantastic the writing on this show was, especially where these characters were concerned, and having the perfect actors sealed the deal. No one can play Dean Winchester like Jensen Ackles, or Sam Winchester like Jared Padalecki.

Supernatural opened the gateway to a new world of TV and fandom that I’d never experienced. I have a weekly schedule now, but that’s beside the point. Watching Supernatural made me even more aware of character. I mean, in this show there is nothing that hasn’t been done to Dean and Sam Winchester. To the point where—and I’m sure I’m not the only one who feels this way—I think “please Supernatural gods give these boys some happy in the end” because sweet baby Jesus, really?

Supernatural is a love story. A love story between two brothers. Not that kind of story you dirty birdy. A story about the bond between two brothers who fall and stumble, who make mistakes, terrible mistakes, but are always willing to sacrifice whatever it takes for each other and those they care about. They can be pigheaded, stubborn, sweet, and funny. They’re weary and have felt pain like no one else, but they keep going, together. Every week I patiently wait for a new episode and I’ll continue to do so for Dean and Sam Winchester.

What’s your favorite TV character and why?


Love In Retrograde

Available 11th May

LoveInRetrograde300Genre: Science Fiction Gay Romance

Length: Novella

Published: May 11, 2016

Publisher: Dreamspinner Press

Enthusiastic, play-it-safe Kelly Sutton is an American intern at the Photonic Royal Society in New London. He’s been working on Project Mars for over a year, a mission kept so secret by the Society even Kelly doesn’t know exactly what it is. What Kelly does know is his contribution to the task will benefit mankind, and that’s enough for him.

Kelly’s world turns upside down when concerns over his mentor’s behavior lead Kelly to investigate and stumble upon a wicked truth. What is supposed to be a project to advance human life turns out to be an endeavor capable of mass destruction. The terrifying reality forces Kelly to choose between looking the other way to keep his job, as he’s always done, or risking his career and even his life to do the right thing by saving the man who’s captured his heart.


Purchase Links



Meet Charlie Cochet


Charlie Cochet is an author by day and artist by night. Always quick to succumb to the whispers of her wayward muse, no star is out of reach when following her passion. From adventurous agents and sexy shifters, to society gentlemen and hardboiled detectives, there’s bound to be plenty of mischief for her heroes to find themselves in, and plenty of romance, too!

Currently residing in Central Florida, Charlie is at the beck and call of a rascally Doxiepoo bent on world domination. When she isn’t writing, she can usually be found reading, drawing, or watching movies. She runs on coffee, thrives on music, and loves to hear from readers.

Website | THIRDS HQ | Facebook | Facebook Author Page | Twitter | Pinterest | Tumblr | Instagram | Newsletter | DSP |Amazon |Goodreads



Each week, on our Author Column posts we will gift to one lucky commenter answering the author question, a Kindle eBook from your TBR list.

Please leave your email address with your comment so we can contact you.

Good Luck!

::: And the winner is……. HEATHER ……. CONGRATULATIONS! :::


  1. I really loved this series, Northen Exposure, and the main character, Joel Fleischman (Rob Morrow). He's a New York doctor who is obliged to accept a position in Cicely (Alaska) to pay back his student loan. He hates it there. There was something strange about him: He was a jerk, and a grumpy, snoobish, peevish one... And you still adored him. But anyway I've always liked characters who are different

  2. I love West Wing (all seasons available on Netflix)...incredibly well written characters and so many of the politcal issues raised on the show are issues we are still working on and changing today!

  3. I have to admit I'm a huge Dean (and Jensen) fan too, though the series has jumped the shark for me. I'm really liking the character of Lucifer on the new Fox show Lucifer.

  4. I've been meaning to watch Supernatural instead of just catching a few episodes here and there. I love watching Criminal Minds and my favorite character is Dr. Spencer Reid. He's intelligent, sensitive and he's part of the Behavioral Analysis Unit with the FBI.
    humhumbum AT yahoo DOT com

  5. I'm from the UK and I to love Supernatural and have watched it from the beginning even though it has jumped from channel to channel and it was even off our screens for over a year once!!! Dean (Jensen)is my favourite, I first saw him in "Dark Angel" which was fab to. I've also followed David Boreanaz first seeing him in "Buffy" and then "Angel" and now I love his character in "Bones." Both characters have flaws and that's why I enjoy watching them.

  6. Like you, I binge watched The Vampire Diaries and now I am hooked. Similar storyline, as there are 2 brothers who look out for one another and a town full of people who rely on them. I did not want to add to my busy week, but I find myself relaxing as I watch the beautiful eyes of the ever incredible Ian Somerhalder and Paul Wesley.

  7. Thanks for the great post!

    My favorite TV character is Hawkeye from MASH. I have seen the entire run of the show several times over - my kids even love it. I connect with Hawkeye's sensibilities, his sense of humor, his loyalty and caring for his patients and peers. He was able to come through the horror of war still able to laugh and love.


  8. This question had me scrolling through my Netflix history. Ive done some serious binge watching with Supernatural being the longest, most condensed block of tv watching. My favorite tv characters are the ones who are off-beat and miss social queues. So Castiel ( Supernatural ), Gary ( Alphas ), Sheldon to some extent ( Big Bang Theory ). But topping the list is probably Temperance Brennan (Bones ). She doesn’t get some cultural references, but she does not care. She’s too busy being the top of her field and the smartest person in the room, but she’s not mean about it.
    hchas8tv at

    1. Hi Heather, congratulations! you are our lucky winner of this month's author column from Charlie. An email is on its way to you.

  9. Actually, your entire blog was about my favorite show. I didn't get started watching Supernatural until season 5 and became hooked. I caught myself up on all 5 seasons in 3 days, I was that hooked. And six years later I'm exactly the same. I laugh, I cry, I sit on the edge of my seat during every season finale waiting to see what happens next; and then curse the writers of the show for the cliffhanger I'll have to wait until September or October to get the answer to. It's the only show I've ever watched that has gotten me so vested in the outcome of every episode and every season. The writing is outstanding and the actors are exceptional. It's that combination that pulls you in and attaches you too the characters and what they're going through. Because if the writing was bad it wouldn't matter how good the actors are. Just as it wouldn't matter how good the writing was if the actors were no good at bringing life to characters they are portraying. If both are not good then no one is going to care. Just like with books, if the writing is not good and the characters aren't engaging then you aren't going to want to continue reading that book or series.

  10. I only watch TV on Netflix so I don't have a lot to pull from. Lately I've been watching Criminal Minds. My favorite character is Penelope Garcia. She's wicked smart, geeky, has her own sense of style, isn't stick thin, & has a heart of gold.

  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

  12. Right now I'm seriously crushing on Nick from Grimm. I have always loved fairy tales and the shows take on them is amazing.

  13. Congrats on your new book. There are so many favorite characters over the years to choose from. In terms of more recent, I'd have to say Frank Underwood, House of Cards. I love Spacey, the show, and his portrayal is so compelling. - Purple Reader

  14. I'm telling you. Lost. Watch it. Everyone needs Lost in their lives. And be prepared to be gutted and fall into a Showhole that will consume you. Favorite Characters? All of them. Well. With the exception of Jack and Kate....they'

    But Sawyer played by Josh Holloway, a con man that there's more than meets the eye. We joke he's allergic to clothes. He's naked a lot. A lot.

    Then Sayid, a former Republican Guard "Communications Officer" AKA tortured people for information but turned the most dependable and good guy. And that was a period that anything at all Iraq related on TV was a waaaaay no-go.

    And Desmond....aaaaahhhh Desmond. Labeled a complete coward and ran away from manning up to the woman he loves and travels to the far side of the world to get his honor back. His story will make you have the grossest of gross tears.

    Oh wait. I take that back. Jin and Sun, a lovely Korean couple who Jin ends up becoming a "company man" for Sun's father (and is basically a hitman) and Sun who wants to run away from him. And then their subsequent story about finding their way back to each other. Jin and Sun episodes are always sobfests and hit you hard in the feels.

  15. I love Eric Northman from True Blood.....soooooooo sexy! Hot Viking vampire enforcer...what's not to love?

  16. I don't have fav tv characters, it's only recently that I started to watch series again. But I really like Temperance "Bones" Brennan from Bones, I love the way she is and how she interacts with other characters.

  17. I am going to cheat and say the female clones on Orphan Black are my favorite right now. That show is so good and Tatiana Maslany is just incredible on the show, you can't pick out just one of her characters because her performance is so impressive. If you don't watch it you should give it a chance :)
    annmarief115 at gmail dot com

  18. I have a few favorite TV characters. Abby from NCIS, Garcia and Dr. Reid Spencer from Criminal Minds are three of my favs!
    ree.dee.2014 (at) gmail (dot) com

  19. I'm a total TV addict but I just can't think of any favorite character. I guess I'm just more interested to the ensemble ;-)

    foebz (at) hotmail (dot) com