Tuesday, March 08, 2016

Review : Stealing Dragon’s Heart (Lifting the Veil) by Susan Laine

51C0N eD3ML._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_

Title ~ Stealing Dragon’s Heart (Lifting the Veil)

Author ~ Susan Laine

Publisher ~ Dreamspinner Press

Published ~ 2nd March 2016

Genre ~ Paranormal M/M Romance, Fantasy

Rating

1c1c1c1c1ca

goodreads add to

Synopsis

A Lifting the Veil Story
Notorious master thief Finn Grayson is hired to break into a high-class skyscraper in New Shanghai and steal a priceless artifact known as the Shard. But someone’s gotten to the Shard first—and the penthouse suite turns out to be a dragon’s lair.
Cameron Feilong, Guardian of the Earth Shard, is ancient enough to realize that he and his unbidden guest are being used like puppets on a string. Forming a shaky alliance is the only way for them to survive and to stop their ruthless foes.
Unfortunately, Finn and Cam seem to be forever one step behind. To learn more about their clandestine enemy, they travel together from walled Asian cities, barren tundras, and underwater temples to secret paranormal clubs and legendary elvish cities rising high in the trees or buried deep under glaciers. Finn and Cam must learn to trust each other before it’s too late, for bringing together the five Elemental Shards will spell the end of the world.

Molly’s Review

This is not the typical type of book that I read, at all—Fantasy/Paranormal. Although, having said that, I really enjoyed Stealing Dragon's Heart. The author created a wonderfully detailed world, suspending my disbelief.  I have not read the other five, and I didn’t need to, to fully understand this one.

Finn is a little thief, literally. He’s human, I like that, and he interacts with all sorts of mythical creatures who he’s not used to, so he comes across awkward at times, and that was a good thing. It made him human and an interesting character. He’s also snarky and hilarious. I enjoyed seeing the world from his head.

Finn breaks into Cameron’s place to steal an artifact worth five million dollars to him when he delivers it to his fence. When he gets there, though, it’s already been stolen and he realizes that he’s been set up. What he was sent to steal, was one fifth of an ancient shard, that when put together, could destroy the earth, and humanity as we know it. He and the dragon shifter Cameron realize they need to be allies to save the rest of the shards from evil Kamala, even though it’s a rocky start between our two main characters.

From the very beginning, Finn's thinking about Cameron in a sexual way. The entire story is told in Finn’s POV, which I’m also not so used to. But, it worked for this story. We only know Finn’s thoughts and feelings, and he’s feeling the Dragon Cam in a big way. However, because we are only in Finn’s head, we don’t really know what Cameron is thinking this whole time, or his true feeling of Finn; only what Finn sees. I think this is why most romance stories are in third person, so we can get into both their heads.

Because of that, I didn’t really feel the romance throughout this story. Finn and Cam do have sex when they are trapped together, and it's hot as hell, but the driving factor in this book is saving the planet, not the romance. Not that that's a bad thing, but I'd have liked to have seen their romantic relationship develop more throughout the story. Again, this is not my normal genre.

I love the camaraderie between the five guardians and Finn as they work together to save the Shard. All of the places they travel to are unique and vivid. There is a cool twist that I hadn't predicted involving Finn (I won't give it away), but it made the pieces fall together nicely.

I'm giving Stealing Dragons Heart four and a half stars because it's extremely well written and the author truly weaves a great story with magnificent imagery, taking us on a colorful adventure. For lovers of Fantasy and Paranormal Romance, I would definitely recommend this book.

Purchase Links

DreamspinnerPress

AMAZON GLOBAL LINK

divider_doodle

Connect with Susan Laine

susan laine

I'm an award-winning author of LGBTQ erotic romance, often described as M/M (gay) and F/F (lesbian) romance. I write for Dreamspinner Press, Siren BookStrand, and Evernight Publishing. I'm a Finn but I write in English. I adore gorgeous men getting it on with other gorgeous men. I also like pop music, chocolate, saunas, and the seasons in Finland. Join my newsletter HERE.

WEBSITE | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | GOODREADS

No comments:

Post a Comment