Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Get Hasselled with Santino Hassell at Sinfully.

GH

We are so excited to have Santino Hassell with us here at Sinfully for his very first Monthly Author Column. So less of me and more of Santino… go see what he’s up to!

pink-divider (1)

I’m Santino, and I’m here to introduce my new column at Sinfully—Get Hasselled. I thought a lot about what to do with this column and decided to be super ambitious and use it for free shorts revolving around the Five Boroughs series.

You will NOT have to have read the series to enjoy them. In fact, you could look at these shorts as an introduction to the series if you haven’t read it yet. They will alternate in heat level and theme, and go between present day and the past. My intention with these stories is to explore the histories of the characters. You may hear from Raymond and David, or Caleb (whose story is coming soon in the standalone erotic romance First and First), but especially Michael Rodriguez and Nunzio Medici—childhood friends who harbored and ignored non-platonic feelings for each other for twenty years before finally acting on them in Sutphin Boulevard.

The first story takes place four years before the start of SB and is told from the point of view of Michael’s younger brother, Raymond. A celebratory weekend in Atlantic City takes a turn for the awkward when Raymond winds up babysitting his hard partying brother and friend. Especially since a drunk Michael and Nunzio don’t always do so well at hiding their attraction to each other.

pink-divider (1)

OUT OF THE FIVE BOROUGHS—ATLANTIC CITY

2011

A weekend in Atlantic City should have been the perfect way to spend my 21st birthday, but I'd somehow wound up the designated babysitter and third wheel to my brother Michael and Nunzio--Michael's best friend.

Nunzio was also my stand-in brother when Michael pissed me off, "childhood" crush, and epically cool video game partner. Basically, the Italian-American jack-of-all-trades to the dysfunctional Rodriguez family.

As Michael approached the concierge, Nunzio came up behind me and squeezed my shoulders. "You hyped?"

I shrugged him off. "I guess."

"You're too old to be this sullen, Ray. Pep the fuck up. It's your birthday."

"I'd have been peppier if Chris hadn't bailed." Having another friend handy would have prevented the awkwardness of spending this weekend watching Nunzio and Michael eyefuck each other while drunk, and then having to pretend I didn't notice. Nightmare level on every point. "What are we even gonna do?"

"Get drunk, laid, and gamble. Maybe not in that order." Nunzio noticed the grim set of my mouth and smirked. "Don't worry. I won't force you to be my wingman at gay clubs."

"Yeah, Michael has you covered." The muttered comment earned me a curious side eye, and I sneered. Right. I wasn't supposed to know Michael was just as gay as Nunzio. Probably gayer considering I'd first stumbled upon him getting busy with another dude at fourteen, and Nunzio had waited until the tender age of fifteen. "Isn't his job to wingman you in any situation or whatever? Best friends and what not."

Nunzio nodded, appeased. Or pretending to be appeased. He probably knew that I knew. "Pretty much, but don't worry about me. What do you want to do?"

"Play Xbox and smoke."

"Tonight in Atlantic City, smartass."

"Fuck if I know, man. I don't do this social shit."

"Yeah, I know. You fuck the same two girls you been knowing since you were in first grade." Nunzio glanced over to the concierge but continued reading me the 'you need to have fun and be young' riot act. "You're a piece of ass, Raymond. Potentially even more attractive than myself, which is an incredible feat. You need to stop holing up in your bedroom with a pipe and a controller, and have some fun."

"You need to stop staring at my brother's ass."

Nunzio swung his gaze back to me. "Shut the fuck up. I wasn't."

"Uh huh." They were so pathetic. "Whatever. We can go out to eat and find a spot to dance, aiight?"

"Bet."

Nunzio looked pumped again. He ran a hand through his dark curls and went back to staring Michael down. I made a mental bet with myself as to how long it would take them to get drunk and sloppy, and start groping each other. If they made it to midnight, I owed myself an hour of peace, quiet, and a copy of Game Informer.

A snarled 'carajo' came from the direction of the concierge, and all thoughts of peace vanished.

"These pendejos fucked up our reservation," Michael griped after stalking over to us. "Instead of a suit with two bedrooms, they put us in a deluxe room with two kings."

"It's cool," Nunzio said. "I'll book another room for me or Ra—"

"Me," I said quickly. "It's for me."

"No sweat. I'll—"

"I already tried that, wise guys. The hotel is entirely booked." Michael glared around the lobby as if looking for someone to murder so he could shove my narrow ass in their room. "This is bullshit."

"Want me to go talk to them?"

"Why?" Michael's gaze swung back to Nunzio with the quickness. "You think you can get the idea across clearer?"

"No, but being a little nicer might—"

"Nicer? Vete pa'l carajo…"

"Okay, okay." I clapped to get their attention. "Both of you shut the fuck up and quit fighting like an old married couple. This is why I don't be going nowhere with you people."

Michael opened his mouth to come back at me with some reckless comment, I could just tell by the gleam in his eyes, but Nunzio edged him out of the way.

"Let's look at the bright side. I plan to get wasted and stumble back to the room at five in the morning, anyway. At this point it's just a crash spot. And if I want to hook up with someone—" he kept talking, clearly missing the irritated look on Michael's face. "--I'll go to their room. Feel me?"

"Yeah." Michael yanked his duffel bag up off the floor. "Got it."

Nunzio snagged one of the room keys and turned around, oblivious to the simmering cloud of jealousy brewing in my dumbass brother. God. They really were pathetic. And now that Michael was all super charged with denial, jealousy, and Rodriguez rage, I was giving them until eleven.

We went upstairs, all of us silent and ornery in the elevator, and I promptly tuned out my brother. He started griping as soon as his suitcase hit the floor. I honestly had no idea why he was so bent out of shape. He'd get to cuddle up in a bed with Nunzio all night unless one of them opted to sleep on the shitty couch. If he wasn't so in denial, he'd be less cranky.

If I hadn't given up on my own crush due to the Jerry Springer-like feel of us both secretly lusting after Nunzio for mad long, I'd have jumped at the chance. But that ship had sailed, and I was quite content to keep my bicuriosity a secret. Although, I'd have probably been able to coax Chris into a mutual drunken jerk if his punk ass hadn't bailed on me.

"Eating or drinking?" Nunzio asked after shedding the sweatshirt he'd worn on the ride from Queens. He looked at himself in the full-length mirror, and pulled at the collar of his T-shirt before yanking it off. "I think everyone needs to cool out."

"Liquid dinner," Michael said shortly. "I want to have fun, and stop stressing over stupid shit."

I didn't point out that he could have fun without being wasted.

"Ray wants to go dancing." Nunzio's baby blues zeroed in on me in the mirror. "What say you—go to a spot for you and then a spot for me? Or split up."

"We could just go to a spot for you." I flopped back on the bed and closed my eyes as they changed into their impressive adult clubwear. My ass was staying in the same jeans I'd worn all day. "I'm not afraid of the gays."

"That's why I love you, Ray. Your apathy makes it impossible for anything to make you uncomfortable."

"Yup."

"And you never know," Nunzio continued. I could practically hear the dirty smirk in his tone. "You might find the right dude to slob your knob and your sexuality might swerve a little bit."

"Shut up, Nunzio," Michael said wearily. "Not everyone likes dick."

Maybe not, but we were three for three in this hotel room.

To be continued next month on Get Hasselled!

pink-divider (1)

Meet Santino Hassell

SH image 200x300

 

Santino is an author of gay romance that is heavily influenced by the gritty, urban landscape of New York City, his belief that human relationships are complex and flawed, and his own life experiences. His new book, FIRST AND FIRST, is the third in the Five Boroughs series and will be released on April 18, 2016. It is a standalone with a HEA ending.

 

 

WEBSITE | FACEBOOK | TWITTER

AUTHOR AMAZON PAGE

pink-divider (1)

CSB

pink-divider (1)

Giveaway

Each week, on our Author Column posts we will gift to one lucky commenter a Kindle eBook from your TBR list.

Please leave your email address with your comment so we can contact you.

Good Luck!

::: And the winner is……. Natalie Peltier ……. CONGRATULATIONS! :::

27 comments:

  1. LOL! What a great short story, Santino! Now all I want it to continue reading...
    susanaperez7140(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was curious about this trip to Atlantic city since the first book,thank you Santino! veroluc@libero.it

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg i love Ray soo much. but damn way to leave us hanging! trinielf82@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations Natalie. You're our lucky winner of this week's author column from Santino. An email is on its way to you.

      Delete
    2. thanks! i just replied. omg thanks so muuuch i can't believe it :)

      Delete
  4. I love gritty stories like Santino writes. anthonytaylor121@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this trip! I'm so glad to see the lead in! Thank you, Santino!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this series and I can't wait for First and First!
    serena91291@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, great start! I'm looking forward to more!

    anamaribelcardenas@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. am loving this series!
    kathleenpower@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great start, I love it and definitely can't wait for more! :) I love the writing style and the attitude these characters carry! Thanks!
    jenndonald00(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great start. Thank you for it!
    humhumbum AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was great. I have some of this series (at least Sutphin Blvd) sitting in my TBR. I need to pull it out & read! Thanks for the short tidbit. legacylandlisa(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! :) I can't wait until you read Michael's and Nunzio's story

      Delete
  12. Oh man, I love Ray so much! I can't wait for more. thebiatles@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved the story. I have both Sutphin Boulevard and Sunset Park loaded on my kindle but I'm finishing up Stygian at the moment. Now I can't wait to read the other two! Thank you so much. ree.dee.2014 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much! I have to admit I haven't read anything by Santino yet, but I have some sitting on my TBR just waiting to get moved up. And I think these shorts will inspire me to do that.

    waxapplelover (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Same as waxapplelover, I didn't have the time to read Santino Hassell's work yet! Now this column is a great start, thank you so much for this generous choice. It usually pays to be ambitious ;-)

    foebz (at) hotmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is exactly what I needed to help tide me over until First and First comes out. Have already re-read SB and SP multiple times and have always wanted to hear about the Atlantic City trip. Can't wait to read more! lamberae@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent short! Loved learning what led up to the infamous event in the hotel room later that evening. And this line is awesome: "That's why I love you, Ray. Your apathy makes it impossible for anything to make you uncomfortable." That is the first time I have read a positive side to apathy. ;-)

    Great title for your author column.

    jen(dot)f(at)mac(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  18. This was a real treat, and I love the idea of the "shorts" for the column! And the name. The name is awesome. And I can't wait for F&F - April 18th seems to far away... neokou2(at)gmail(com)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous start! I can't wait to read the next installment! I seriously need to read Sutphin Boulevard now. :-)
    jczlapin@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love Ray and his lack of filter!

    ReplyDelete
  21. omg i cannot believe i won thank youuuu :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you guys for reading and responding! Part II is coming soooon. :D

    ReplyDelete