Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Featured Guest Author: Mark Wildyr

JTG

Thanks to Sinfully Gay Romance for the opportunity to guest post this blog. And while I’m about it, thanks to Dreamspinner Press for bringing out my new novel, JOHNNY TWO-GUNS, on March 18.

a_divider_by_ucurmi-d587m8c

Johnny Two-Guns

Mark Wildyr

JohnnyTwoGunsLG

Publisher ~ Dreamspinner Press

Published ~ 18 March 2016

Genre ~ Contemporary M/M Romance

goodreads-add-to_thumb

Synopsis

When vacationing Denver architect Roger Mackie rolls into a quaint old trading post in Montana’s Bitterroot Mountain Range to gas up his car, it’s the start of a life-changing journey. Lean, handsome Chippewa Johnny Two-Guns is looking for a ride. He’s on a mission to recover some clan treasures. Roger is immediately smitten and drives Johnny all the way to Arizona.

Although the two successfully build a friendship, Roger is unable to initiate the intimacy they both seem to desire. A second visit gives Roger another chance to draw Johnny out of his shell. The payoff is spectacular, leading to a week of sex and discovery, during which Johnny’s innocent enthusiasm shows Roger a new side of love between men. But trouble is on the horizon for the new couple, as fate seems set against them. And what does the sudden appearance of sexy young architect Brad Beaver portend for the future?

Purchase Links

DreamspinnerPress

AGL_thumb1_thumb1

a_divider_by_ucurmi-d587m8c

A Word from Mark Wildyr

I’m an Okie who kicked around Texas, Germany (courtesy, U. S. Army), and Colorado before choosing New Mexico as my permanent home. Always of a creative bent, I took up the easel and paint brush but soon realized I tensed up every time I came near to finishing a painting. Sooo… time to change avocations. I tried writing without much success until one day I picked up a gay erotic anthology in a used bookstore. Some sixty short stories, one novella, and seven full-length novels later, the change has proven beneficial. Given my university degree in History and my fascination for different cultures, especially Native American, it’s not surprising that historical settings and cross-cultural romances appear often in the Wildyr books. My personal life? Pretty insular. I belong to SouthWest Writers and teach a free writing class every Monday afternoon in an Albuquerque community center.

The first lines of the book blurb pretty well position JOHNNY TWO-GUNS: “When vacationing Denver architect Roger Mackie rolls into a quaint old trading post in Montana’s Bitterroot Mountain Range to gas up his car, it’s the start of a life-changing journey. Lean, handsome Chippewa Johnny Two-Guns is looking for a ride.” The following scene occurs early in Chapter 1 when Roger first lays eyes on Johnny.

 

Excerpt

After a hearty breakfast, I-90 led me out of town, and an innocuous turnoff to the west drew me deeper into the Bitterroot Mountains. I must have been recovering from my foul mood because the scenery started to hold some interest again. These hills were a part of the same great Rocky Mountain chain as those around Denver, but they had a different feel… craggier, wilder somehow. If I had been the outdoors type, I would have bought a tent and camped out in the crisp mountain air.

Nonetheless, before long this trek started to look like the latest in a series of mistakes, because the road degraded, the traffic evaporated, and I was absolutely alone without an idea of where I was. My anxiety level soaring as the gas gauge dipped, I came to a place where the road widened. An old log building stood to the left. At the sight of two antiquated gasoline pumps in front, I pulled over and stopped. The place was so novel that I grabbed the Canon and clicked a couple of shots of the place.

Inside, the building was low ceilinged, but much larger than it looked from the outside. If I had been on the Navajo reservation, I would have guessed this was an old-fashioned Indian trading post. I had no idea if they had such things up here, although there were plenty of Native Americans in Montana. The trading post or store or whatever it was had goods crammed in every corner, was dimly lit, and gave off a pleasant, homey atmosphere. A grizzled man of about sixty waited on an elderly woman buying a few basic groceries. The Caucasian trader stood six foot three or four—brawn going soft. He finished with the lady and turned to me.

“Come right on in and look around. Got a pot of coffee on, and you’re welcome to join us.” He gestured toward a distant corner dominated by a potbellied stove with a few cane chairs grouped around it. At this altitude the warmth was inviting. Someone was seated in one of the chairs beside the stove.

“Thanks. I’ll take you up on the offer. But first I’d like to gas up the car.” I halfway expected him to say he was out of gasoline.

“Easy done.” He turned to the stove at the rear. “Johnny, can you come pump this fella some gas?”

“Yessir, Mr. Beasley.” An indistinct figure rose from his chair with animal grace. A moment later, a young Native American emerged out of the semigloom and walked toward us with the strong, languid movement of a mountain lion… unhurried, efficient, powerful.

“Give Johnny your keys,” the trader said. “He’ll gas up for you. You want it filled?”

I nodded. “Yep. To the brim.”

When I told him what I was driving, he told the kid to give me the premium. I agreed and asked for a restroom. The shopkeeper directed me to the back of the establishment, where I took a leak and puzzled over my reaction to the young man now gassing up my car. Occasionally you run into someone who catches the eye and won’t let go. Someone whose physical presence engages the entire you. I’d experienced it only once before in my life.

I shook my head. Surely that wasn’t what I was experiencing now. Then how did I explain the butterflies in my belly? No, my reaction was simply that I admired attractive people. Although a broad-brimmed black felt hat had shadowed his features in the dim lighting of the store, I knew without a doubt I would find Johnny handsome when I saw him clearly. And he was well put together. The silhouette that had approached with the light behind it had been broad-shouldered and lean-hipped and small-waisted.

a_divider_by_ucurmi-d587m8c

I hope that leaves you panting for more. The following are some links where you can learn a little more about me and my writing. 

Connect with Mark Wildyr 

WEBSITE | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | GOODREADS

Once again, thanks to Sinfully Gay Romance for allowing me to guest post this blog. And thanks to you for reading. By the way, readers are my favorite people.

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment