Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Review: Backlash (Don’t #4) by Jack L. Pyke

Backlash_CvrPRT_thumb[2]Title ~ Backlash (Don’t #4)

Author ~ Jack L. Pyke

Publisher ~ Forbiden Fiction Publishing

Published ~ 19th January 2016

Genre ~ BDSM Psychological Thriller: M/M/M





In the aftermath of Jack Harrison’s release from the psychiatric unit, Gray Raoul’s first instinct is to take brutal revenge on the one responsible for financing Jack and Jan’s torturous psychological reconditioning. However, that person plays the game dangerously well, and knows exactly how to manipulate everyone in Gray’s life. To help negotiate this delicate situation, Gray contacts ex-Diadem Doms Trace and Gabriel Hunter. But the more Gray seems to regain control, the clearer it becomes that there’s something not quite right about Jan Richards. Jan quickly unravels, taking Jack and Gray with him, and bringing out one particularly deadly player. Gray is left with one last defense: break Jack down in order to partner up with his alter ego, Martin. But once freed, Martin has plans of his own, and he wants to make it personal with Gray. Complete trust between Master and sub, between Gray and Jack, will be tested to the absolute limit.

Monique’s Review

I am used to picking up a book from Jack Pyke and mentally preparing myself for her unique brand of writing that in all honesty, is all consuming...and believe me, I have devoured each and every one her books, even though she twists a knife in my gut with words that cause me actual physical pain, truth I tell you, I’m left emotionally drained to the point of exhaustion, but at the same time exhilarated at the utter genius of her craft. She is without doubt the master of the ‘mind fuck’ and dark, erotic, psychological thriller within this genre and the Don’t series, is, in my humble opinion, an incredible example of how to get it right! She writes with purpose, intention, thought and delivery and never wastes words superfluously. She breathes life into a story and her characters with simple observations, yet so animated. Such a talent! I’m in awe of Jack L. Pyke and her literary talents.

I have been put through the wringer with these three boys in the series so far, to the point where even I was doubting they’d come out of it with all faculties intact, although some might say they were questionable to start with. As much as I love Jack Pyke’s usual roller coaster ride of a read, Backlash had to take time out for healing, which of course it does, but that’s not all, because it wouldn’t be a Jack Pyke novel if she didn’t throw in a few ‘WTF’ ‘Holy shit’ ‘I never saw that coming’ ...moments, as well as a few cleverly worked revelations that leave your head spinning. There is also some action, where the past yet again comes back to haunt them. Old friends are called on to draw strength and support from and Gray is still looking for closure on those responsible for hurting what’s his. But, to ensure their protection, reluctantly Martin needs to be called to action, and as evil as he is, I just love him!

I have always said that despite the punch to the solar plexus this series so often delivers this is above all else, an immensely powerful love story and Backlash continues in the same vein and this time had me hurting for all of them. I cried several times at their pain and the subtleties of tenderness and emotion played between them. It’s such an honest and unconditional love that is bone deep. The flesh of it may be ragged and torn and look beyond repair and the body itself may be infected by what they’ve been through… but the heart, my god the heart that’s shared by these three men still beats strong. Jack Pyke conveys this so well!

It was hard to watch them fall apart, I felt uncomfortable at how fractured and lost they had all become. Each of them remaining private in their own pain, with the echoes of Jack and Jan’s time with Vince still reverberating around them, unable to dissipate, as they fight the demons that continue to claw at their nightmares and at a loss to know how to bridge the divide that’s growing between them. Jan, so fragile and withdrawn, mentally disconnecting himself from life in order to ease his pain. Jack still playing the lad with his cocky grin and quick wit. With him it’s what isn’t said that pulls on the heartstrings the most and without Gray’s controlled strength and focus and Jan’s stability and tender affection to ground him, his still shattered psych is volatile.

As we watch this fallout from Gray’s point of view we start to understand the guilt he carries and dare I say it, see his vulnerability and emotions laid bare. This once stoically guarded man is no longer objective and his actions now questionable, even doubting himself for fear of failing those he loves once again, wavering and unsure of how to move forward, how to heal and rebuild their connection and hold onto their sanity. It’s a heart-breaking mess of emotions and Gray can’t see the wood for the trees. Which is when he calls on his oldest and dearest friend and the person he trusts the most to help him… Trace. Another fabulous character along with Gabe and Dare from Lynn Kelling’s Deliver Us series, who bring much needed perspective and objectivity, as well as a little fun and banter to lighten the melancholy.

As you have already read above, I love this series and Jack Pyke’s writing. I am used to flawless from this author. But if I have one criticism with Backlash, I felt the beginning and some minor editing issues weren’t as tight as I’m used to, but having said that, it soon moved onto familiar territory and the ending was utter perfection, absolutely brilliant! Just fucking peachy! Now I need book #5 as I’m missing them already.

The Don’t… series is an outstanding work of fiction, penned by an incredibly talented author with characters that are guaranteed to steal your heart and soul… read it!

Purchase Link












  1. Yes, yes, yes! Wonderful review. Have already tears in my eyes. Your words speak to my heart. Can not recommend enough this series. This is the best that I have ever taken in my hands. And the Sinfully blog has made me aware. With your great reviews. The heart and soul in it. Thank you very much. And I hope Jack hurries. Don't 5 is for me the most urgently awaited book.