Friday, January 15, 2016

Release Day Review : Br0th3rly (Famous on the Internet Book 1) by Alina Popescu

brotherly

Title ~ Br0th3erly (Famous on the Internet Book 1)

Author ~ Alina Popescu

Publisher ~ Wayward Ink Publishing

Published ~ 15th January 2016

Genre ~ Contemporary M/M Romance

Rating

1c1c1c1c1c

goodreads add to

Synopsis

Fighting his relentless love for Trevor, the guy he was raised to consider his brother, has been Tristan’s mission in life.
To distance himself from Trevor, even after discovering they weren’t really related, he left for college at sixteen. Moving into the city, building a new life, and running an anonymous blog about what he considers sick, twisted feelings might make Tristan famous on the Internet, but it isn’t enough to get over his obsession. Every time he goes home, a quick glance at Trevor brings it all flooding back.
When commitment-phobe Trevor announces he’s got a serious boyfriend during one of Tristan’s rare visits home, the adoring kid brother will be forced to run once again. This time, however, Trevor doesn’t stand back and watch him leave.
Instead, he follows him, making it nigh on impossible for Tristan to keep his love a secret for much longer.

Freya’s Review

Fall in love with your brother was the first line I read and immediately thought – WTF. Thankfully, that didn’t last long. In the next paragraph, I found out the men were not actually related. They were raised together but not related. Like the main character, I sighed with relief.

The way in which this story is written is unusual – at least for me. I’ve never read a story before that starts in the form of a blog. That alone immediately perked my attention. I like an author who isn’t afraid to do something different, and this author seems to like producing stories outside the box.

Yes, Tristan is in love with his non-biological brother, Trevor, and he hates himself for it. He hates himself with a vengeance. He believes himself dirty and perverted because, for a lifetime, he’s thought of Trevor as his brother. Tristan has also been living in a world where he’s had to watch his older brother develop, and become the town’s gay stallion. So, as soon as possible he leaves and only returns when he absolutely has to. Distance though does not make his desires wane.

I’m ashamed to say that at one point I thought, Yeah I get it, he’s depressed, move on. But, the realization hit me that, what was being realistically depicted was the way in which certain forms of depression takes hold of a person. Yet, beneath it, all Tristan still holds on to hope that his brother will be happy, even if it’s not with him, and that he himself will find a way out of his love for Trevor. At times too, I wondered if his feelings were unhealthy in a psychiatric way. But again, there is something about Tristan that drew me in, tugged at my heartstrings and made me root for him – to the point where I actually cried. The emotions a story invokes in me makes the difference between a 4 and 5* rating.

If, like me, you salivate at reading a story that is not only written different but will have your emotions doing everything from the rumba to a Paso Doble (yes I watched the latest Strictly) – you will love this.

Purchase Links

Don’t miss WIP’s Unzipping 2016 Sale – 35% off all list titles till January 24th!

wayward-ink

AGL ARe B&N

pink-divider (1)

Meet Alina Popescu

Writer, traveler, and coffee addict, Alina Popescu has been in love with books all her life. She started writing when she was ten and she has always been drawn to sci-fi, fantasy, and the supernatural realm. Born and raised in Romania, she finds her inspiration in books of all genres, in movies, and the occasional manga comic book. She is a proud geek who needs her fast Internet and gadgets more than she needs air.

Website Facebook Twitter Intstagram G Goodreads Author Amazon Page

1 comment:

  1. Oh, wow, I don't even know what to say. Thank you? That does not seem enough though. I am so, so beyond happy you've enjoyed Br0th3rly. To be perfectly honest, I was a bit scared people would not dig the format :D Or the story! Or how much self-hate Tristan expresses, how he runs around in circles in his head. But I loved this boy and his story and I am so lucky this is the first review I've seen! <3

    ReplyDelete