Saturday, December 05, 2015

Featured Guest Author: Lex Chase On the Day in the Life of Hogarth Dawson from her Checkmate Ever After Anthology.

FGALC

We are always happy to welcome the lovely Lex Chase to Sinfully. Today she has popped in the give us an insight into the a Day in the Life of Hogarth Dawson one of the MC’s from her Checkmate Ever After Anthology. Plus you get the chance to win a $25 Amazon Gift Card.

1achess_PNG84471a

Hello Internet! I’m Lex Chase and the crew here at Sinfully was kind enough to let me drop by! Today we’re chewing the fat with my upcoming anthology Checkmate Ever After from DSP Publications. It’s a story about the dizzying highs, the terrifying lows, and the creamy middle of disgraced superhero Memphis Rook and his rise to redemption alongside his sidekick/boyfriend Hogarth Dawson. So, it must be hard when you’re the sidekick of the baddest of badass mofos to watch over the streets of Axis City. Hogarth has popped in today to give a rundown of his day and what it is to live with the broody Memphis Rook. Here we go!

A Day In The Life Of Hogarth Dawson

 
Hogarth wanders in guzzling a Red Bull. He blinks the sleep from his eyes. “Oh heya, sorry didn’t get much sleep last night and totally not for the super steamy reasons like you’d might think. Lex wants to know what I’ve done with the last twenty four hours.” He slumps into a comfy chair like a gelatinous blob of young man. “Okay. Here we go.” “First, I didn’t sleep from the night before of kicking ass and busting heads. Rook and I were dealing with some low level thugs for knocking over the Gabby’s Gas and Grub, again. They must be after the burritos. That place has the best burritos,” he said and fidgeted with the fringe of his houndstooth scarf. “Got in about oooh, three a-yem-ish. Rook decided he needed a shower, I decided I needed a shower. We Rock-Paper-Scissored for it. Both came up with paper. So into my tiny stand up shower we went. Stuff might have happened. That’s all I’m saying.” Hogarth paused, looking off into the distance grinning like a dope. He then realizes where he is. “Um. Anywho. By that time it’s five-ish in the morning—shut up, okay? Moving on! So, to chill out for a bit, I looked up LOLCats on my MacBook. The one with the tuxedo in the cereal box cracks my shit up.”
Hogarth leans forward and points a finger thusly. “And then it was about eight, the sun had long arisen, and I heard the pitiful sound of a mewling kitten for help. Rook meanwhile, was wolfing down a stack of waffles while lounging in is Pac-Man jammie bottoms and parading around the apartment like a Viking god. Jesus. Has he no decency.”
buff-chris-after(1)
 
Hogarth drifts off for a moment, then comes back into clarity. “But the kitten keeps crying, and Rook keeps nomming waffles, and so with a long suffering siiiiiiiiiigh I give up and check it out. Wandering around my walkup apartment, I find Twinklemuffin had gotten his fluffy butt up a tree. No really, the kitten’s name is totally Twinklemuffin.”
Twinklemuffin
Hogarth takes another swig of his Red Bull. “So, after I shimmy up the tree, and let’s just say I am not particularly good at shimmying up trees, but I don’t break my neck so we’re good to go. Save the part cute and adorable Twinklemuffin turned into a Cuisinart and tried to shred my face off. Little bastard can stay up the tree next time. But as I climbed down with the tree, I got face to face with this guy…”
“It was well… awkward,” Hogarth says. “Because if Big Blue shows up, you know your part of town is going to be trashed in three seconds as he battles some horrible planetary threat. And indeed he did. And I’m not going to get into the details, but my MacBook got toasted in the carnage. I was so, so pissed! And then Rook says to me, ‘Well, you could take it over and have Wayne look at it…’ And I held in the immediate reaction to lose my crap.” Hogarth glances down to his shoes and slaps a hand over his blushing face. “Okay, okay! So, maybe I applied to be his Boy Wonder once. But he was sooooo not interested in that kind of relationship. Damn sexy recluse. And with the fate of my beloved torrented episodes of Game of Thrones in the balance we went. Once we walked in the door, Wayne had this face.”
Hogarth held is index and thumb an inch apart. “I felt about this small. Wayne proceeds to ask if we had something useful to do. Like go save kittens from trees. Goddamn douchebag. But he agreed to look at my MacBook. Seeing as it was getting to be time for the nightly patrol, Rook and I took to the streets.”
“The night went well!” Hogarth chirps. “Nothing we couldn’t handle. Even stopped by the Gabby’s Gas and Grub for their ever so delicious greasy burritos. When we returned to Chez Dawson, I hosed myself off in the shower, hoping to wake my ass up. My MacBook was waiting for me on my bed, because Wayne is a goddamn creep like that. He left a note, ‘See you again Boy Wonder.’ And a bill. Motherfudger. I found Rook was already planted in front of the TV. Watching Pretty In Pink.”

Hogarth flops further into the chair. “And I just wanted to die. But I sat down next to him and zoned out in the glow of one of the finest John Hughes films of all time. Or so Rook says. He’s such a hardcore ‘80s addict. Bless his heart. Can I have another Red Bull?” Lex here! We all have the day from hell like Garth, so tell me about your most memorable one! Drop your comment below and click the giveaway banner to enter for a chance to win a 25 USD Amazon Gift Card!

1achess_PNG84471a

Checkmate Ever After

Lex Chase

o-checkmate-ever-afterGenre: Sci-Fi Superhero Comedy

Length: Novel Anthology

Published: December 15, 2015 (Second Edition)

Publisher: DSP Publications

goodreads add to

Synopsis

The day disgraced superhero Memphis Rook literally fell into Hogarth Dawson’s lap, you could say it was fate. But the brawny Rook did nearly crush Garth’s pancreas. What started as two ships passing in the night ended on the weirdest adventure of their lives. Together, Rook and Garth form Checkmate, a daring super duo that keeps Axis City safe from a rogue’s gallery of nefarious villains, dastardly masterminds, and a coalition of calamity. Fighting evil wherever it appears—from reality shows to comic book conventions—Checkmate serves up knuckle sandwiches of justice. But by day, they’re a couple of broke losers who can barely afford a burger and navigating a weird thing called a relationship. Ain’t true love grand? Rook and Garth may be in over their heads, and even super heroes fail sometimes, but they’re ready to take a stand when no one else will. Don’t hate the players, because Checkmate owns the game. 1st Edition of Pawn Takes Rook published by Dreamspinner Press, 2013. 1st Edition of Cashing the Reality Check published by Dreamspinner Press, 2013. 1st Edition of Conventional Love published by Dreamspinner Press, 2014. And the all new fourth novella Miracle in Axis City and bonus short What The Water Gave Me, exclusive to the anthology!

Pre-Order Links

Paperback (and get the eBook for free!) or only the eBook

1achess_PNG84471a

Meet Lex Chase

madison_parker_MG_4269-WEBLex Chase once heard Stephen King say in a commercial, “We’re all going to die, I’m just trying to make it a little more interesting.” Now, she’s on a mission to make the world a hell of a lot more interesting. Weaving tales of cinematic, sweeping adventure—and depending on how she feels that day—Lex sprinkles in high-speed chases, shower scenes, and more explosions than a Hollywood blockbuster. Her pride is in telling stories of men who kiss as much as they kick ass. If you’re going to march into the depths of hell, it better be beside the one you love. Lex is a pop culture diva, her DVR is constantly backlogged, and unapologetically loved the ending of Lost. She wouldn’t last five minutes without technology in the event of the apocalypse and has nightmares about refusing to leave her cats behind. She is grateful for and humbled by all the readers. She knows very well she wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for them and welcomes feedback. You can find in the Intarwebz here:

WEBSITE | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR | INSTAGRAM

1achess_PNG84471a

One lucky winner will walk away with a $25 USD Amazon Gift Card!

1achess_PNG84471a

Follow the Checkmate Ever After Tour!

12/1 - Charlie Cochet's Purple Rose Tea House 12/3 - Tali Spencer 12/5 - Sinfully Gay Romance Book Reviews 12/5 - Erin McRae and Racheline Maltese 12/7 - Aidee Ladnier 12/9 - Genre Talk on The Novel Approach 12/12 - Gaylist Book Reviews 12/15 - Checkmate Ever After Release Day!

22 comments:

  1. LOL! I guess my most memorable day is not as interesting as Hogarth's... I think it was the day I left home to spend a year abroad... It was my first long stay in a foreign country, it was a really scary and exciting day with so many new things... And that was a great year as well, so it is most definitely a day to remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Where did you go? I've always wanted to do a year abroad but I was too far along my college career to do it. It's been on my bucket list to see Europe. <3

      Delete
  2. Probably too many to pick just one, but that would just sound like I'm whining. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL How about one of mine? Just last Monday I was flying home from New York and my connection was in the Charlotte, North Carolina airport. It was my first time flying through Charlotte at all and I heard it's a little crazy. Actual map of the airport makes it look veeeeery tiny. It is WAY deceptively HUGE. I had ten minutes to get from one end of the airport to the VERY end of the other. It was an adventure for sure!

      Delete
  3. I think 9/11 was mine, which was really bad for so many people (much worse than for me). But, I was in Chicago for work and was supposed to fly home that day. Got stuck there for several days with lots of time spent in the airport. It was difficult being alone and trying to process everything that was happening, worried about family and not knowing how/when I would get home. I ended up renting a car and driving non-stop west across the country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. That's insane! It was definitely a bad day for all of us. But I'm glad you made it home safe!

      Delete
  4. I'm not sure about a memorable one... but my last day from hell was 3 years ago. I went to my best friend's former appartment to get her wardrobe for my place. She had some back troubles so I quickly took the stairs from the 6th floor to get to the 1st floor and help unloading the lift... and never made past the 5th floor: I fell in the stairs and broke my arm! I had to leave the keys to my place to her new boyfriend (I just met him once before) and another friend of mine for them to finish moving the wardrobe, while she took me to the ER where I had to wait for 5 hours to hear I had to go to surgery to fix the mess (I'm not a doctor and I already guessed that, I still don't understand why that took them so long!). But they couldn't do it at the moment, so I had to get back to my place with my broken arm in a temporary cast and wait a few days for a phone call to finally come back to the hospital and be tended to!
    Thanks for the chance at the giveaway, that helps lifting our spirits after recalling a bad day ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of those "One of these days we can look back on this and laugh!" That is a hell of a doozy! LOL

      Delete
  5. i would have to say when my dad passed 2 years ago..so much pain but he is in a better place now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad he's at peace, Jodi. :D And I'm glad you're still here. :D

      Delete
  6. I can't remember one right now that really changed me or anything except for Paris attacks in November. My uncle and aunt where in Paris at the time and I remember my mum was really frantic because she couldn't get a hold on them. Luckily, they were at another restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man! How horrifying! But glad they're safe! My girlfriend lives in NYC and was on her commute when she heard about them. Hearing about terrorism is an especially anxiety inducing topic for anyone. But especially New Yorkers.

      Delete
  7. My day from hell was so awful that I can't even remember the details because I blocked them out. What I do remember is my family and I went to my grandmother's house to confront a relative who had abused me and my siblings when we were children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YIKES! So glad you're out of that!

      Delete
  8. I think it was the first day I went in to fill in for my dad at his job when he got sick...not only was it not in any field of expertise I had, a few key people weren't very kind to me. A few others made up for it, though...

    --Trix, vitajex(at)aol(Dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the true case of "I have no idea why I'm here!" But at least it's all okay now!

      Delete
  9. The day I had to choose my daughter's and my wellbeing over any promises made and left my ex. It was a really bad day but one I have never regretted.
    @hojurose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally hear you Jenny. I've totally been there. Good on you for coming out of it. :D

      Delete
  10. I can't really think of one that was especially bad. I the only one I have popping into my head is the time my sister pushed me down the steps and going down she also was on top of me. Half my back was badly bruised, it hurt to lay on it.

    humhumbum AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it was an accident! That would be terrible if it wasn't!

      Delete
  11. My most memorable day was the one when I found out I was pregnant with twins. I was six months along and had grown huge in the last month, so it shouldn't have come as much as the surprise it was. Still, I had an ultrasound and the tech was all, "Oh, what an active baby and yadda, yadda, and... no, that's not possible," and she leaves the image frozen and rushes out to call the doctor, without telling me and my ex anything else. The doctor comes in, and after reviewing the images he's all, "did you know you were pregnant with twins?" My ex nearly fainted, so I guess that was answer enough. ;)

    anamaribelcardenas@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Mari! That's an amazing story!

      Delete