Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Featured Guest Author: Kate Sherwood chats about her New Release, Ferel: Shelter Book 1

We are thrilled to welcome the lovely Kate Sherwood to Sinfully. She has popped in to chat about her new release Feral, the first book in the Shelter series. 

I am not an artistically sensitive person. I am emotionally sensitive, but when I see/hear creative works I tend to zoom right to the content and be affected by that, rather than picking up on the artistic merits. (For example, I’ve heard enough compliments on the Feral cover to know that it’s good, but honestly, I can take zero credit for that. When AJ Corza asked me what I was picturing for the cover, I was, like, “I guess maybe…maybe the title of the book should be on there? And maybe my name? And some sort of… picture, or something?” Totally clueless.)

I’m the same way with music, in general. If the words are good, I like the song, but instrumental music does very little for me. And yet…

There are times when the music and the words can combine into something so powerful that even someone like me gets hit. I know Les Miserables lacks subtlety and is designed to appeal to a mass audience—which is just what I need! If it’s subtle, I’m not going to get it, but if it’s Do You Hear The People Sing, especially with epic visuals and some handsome young actors, I’m IN.

So while listening to the song on repeat for a few days, I started trying to figure out the appeal of it, the romance of it. Most of the stories in Les Mis are too damn depressing for me to want to spend much time thinking about them, but this song, and this scene? The voices raised together, fighting the power, trying to make a better world? Damn. I get chills just writing about it.

Possibly I’m being overly ambitious in trying to capture any of this mood, but I like to push myself, and I have a good day job. I can afford to write for passion and fun, and I can afford to take some chances. Which brings us to the Shelter series.

Feral’s the first book, and as I’m writing this it’s gotten only one review, which is generally favorable but points out that there’s no sex in it (true) and that this may be a problem for many m/m fans (true?). The review also mentions that the ending isn’t as satisfying as the reviewer would have liked. I can see how that might be true… for me, it’s at least a Happy For Now, but the world the characters live in certainly hasn’t changed, and they still face a lot of the challenges they faced at the start of the story. The main difference by the end is that they’re facing the challenges together. For me, that’s enough.

And, as the reviewer points out, this is the first book in a series. We will see more of Shane and Noah in future books (and future books will probably have more sex in them!). My plan is to write several novels, but also novellas, short stories, or whatever matches the part of the story I want to tell. And of course, this will all build to the final story in which my characters will band together to rise up against the yet-to-be-determined forces of oppression!

I’m excited for it. It’s a bit ambitious, but that’s part of the fun.

Ferel: Shelter Book 1 

Kate Sherwood

Published ~
15th December 2015

Genre ~ Contemporary M/M Romance


Noah Reed has his life planned out. There was that one glitch, years ago, but he's back on track now and determined to reach his goal of becoming a veterinarian and building his own practice.
Shane Black's hard life has taught him there's no point in looking forward and even less in looking back. He takes life as it comes, and his only real need is medical care for his young pup, Dodger.
When Shane stumbles into the clinic where Noah volunteers, Noah’s instincts tell him to run away from the dangerous, unpredictable ruffian. But the puppy needs help, and maybe Shane does, too.
The young men soon discover that Dodger was poisoned, and so were several street people Shane knows. As they search for the source of the poison, Noah learns about the dark underside of the city where he’s spent his whole life, and Shane learns that there is light in the world, even when he’s stuck in the shadows.
But when their relationship begins to grow from a partnership to a romance, new challenges appear. Their worlds are so different—can they ever make sense together? Is there any room in Noah’s carefully planned life for someone as unpredictable as Shane?

Purchase Link


Meet Kate Sherwood

Kate Sherwood started writing about the same time she got back on a horse after almost twenty years away from riding. She’d like to think she was too young for it to be a midlife crisis, but apparently she was ready for some changes!

Kate grew up near Toronto, Ontario (Canada) and went to school in Montreal, then Vancouver. But for the last decade or so she’s been a country girl. Sure, she misses some of the conveniences of the city, but living close to nature makes up for those lacks. She’s living in Ontario’s “cottage country”--other people save up their time and come to spend their vacations in her neighborhood, but she gets to live there all year round!

Since her first book was published in 2010, she’s kept herself busy with novels, novellas, and short stories in almost all the sub-genres of m/m romance. Contemporary, suspense, scifi or fantasy--the settings are just the backdrop for her characters to answer the important questions. How much can they share, and what do they need to keep? Can they bring themselves to trust someone, after being disappointed so many times? Are they brave enough to take a chance on love?

Kate’s books balance drama with humor, angst with optimism. They feature strong, damaged men who fight themselves harder than they fight anyone else. And, wherever possible, there are animals: horses, dogs, cats ferrets, squirrels… sometimes it’s easier to bond with a non-human, and most of Kate’s men need all the help they can get.

After five years of writing, Kate is still learning, still stretching herself, and still enjoying what she does. She’s looking forward to sharing a lot more stories in the future.


Fore more books by Kate Sherwood, you can visit her


1 comment:

  1. That must be so hard for you authors to deal with us reader/reviewers who have all of these personal paradigms and don't share space inside your head to see how the story arc is going to play out, lol. Thank you for sharing about your new release, it sounds intriguing.