Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Audiobook Review: The Christmas Throwaway by RJ Scott ~ Includes Audio Excerpt


Title: The Christmas Throwaway

Author: RJ Scott

Narrator: Sean Crisden

Length: 3 hrs + 2 mins

Publisher: Love Lane Books

Release: 17th October 2014

Genre: M/M (Christmas)


Christmas is a time for giving - what do you do when no one gives a damn?

For Zachary Weston Christmas means sleeping on a churchyard bench in the freezing snow with nothing better in his future. Thrown out of his home for being gay, he is left without money or, it seems, anywhere to go.

Until a stranger shows him that some people do give a lot more than a damn.

Ben Hamilton is a rookie cop in his small home town. He finds a young throwaway, fresh from the city, sleeping on a bench in the churchyard on a snowy Christmas Eve. Can he be the one to give Zachary his own Christmas miracle?




grey stargrey stargrey stargrey stargrey star


grey stargrey stargrey stargrey stargrey star


Mark’s Review

This was such a beautiful story for Christmas. About finding a home, love and acceptance, giving and goodwill. I loved it from beginning to end and gave me the warm cosy feeling inside that comes from knowing despite all the bad things that happens there is also a lot of good going on. We just don’t hear enough about these things unfortunately.

Zach has been thrown out of his home by his abusive father because he is gay and is now on the streets. I never heard the term “throwaway” used before for someone who has been thrown out of their home and the family has turned their back on them. Zach’s story as to how he landed on the streets is harrowing, upsetting and quite frankly hard to believe that this could happen today but sadly Zach’s case is all too common still and it left a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat for the boy’s predicament. When we first meet him we don’t know exactly why he has been thrown out of his home but as we gradually learn why I went through a whole scale of emotions from anger, to sadness, to anguish. This boy, this sweet, loving, tender soul who is just a few days away from his eighteenth birthday is now almost hypothermic while trying to sleep on a bench in the graveyard of the local church in a small town called Hill Valley on Christmas Eve. Through RJ Scott’s wonderful writing my heart just went out to Zach, brought all the protective instincts in me to the fore and all I wanted to do was to take him with me and give him a home myself.

He is discovered by Ben a police officer for Hill Valley after receiving a phone call and Zach just not realise how lucky he will be to be discovered by Ben. Ben against his professional judgement but because of a big heart takes him to his mother’s house and lets Zach stay for Christmas. Providing him with a warm bed, food and a roof over his head for the night. Little does Zach know how loving and accepting Ben and his family are. Ben is gay, on the police force but that’s fine, and is a rookie who will replace the retiring police officer shortly. Even in this very short time Ben gets to hear Zach’s story and oh my did I feel like crying. The abuse he suffered at the hands of his father were dreadful but the story is not only about that. It is about the loving and caring family he now finds himself in, Ben’s friends who are genuinely concerned for his well being and want him to be safe. It’s a whole new world for Zach and it’s one he hast to adjust to but one not to be refused either. That is the real message of Christmas for me in this story. I could just feel surrounded by all the warmth and love Ben’s family and friends have especially at this time of year.

Ben does not take advantage of Zach’s predicament and is the model police officer. Concerned for Zach’s well being but keeping a professional distance as well as he can. However, he finds himself falling for Zach big time. When Ben reaches his 18th birthday on 28th December it would technically leave Ben free to make advances as Zach is no longer a minor. But Ben is so beautiful, patient and understanding and knows he will not start anything until Zach has his head on straight and all the emotional baggage is behind him. Zach needs to sort out what kind of future he wants and he will go through one last trial before he he is free. He needs to protect and rescue his little sister from the hands of his father. With Ben’s help and support, knowing that ben feels more for him than just a professional interest in Zach they eventually start to exchange a few chaste kisses. Zach wants more but Ben does not rush into things for Zach’s sake which is so admirable on his part. A wonderful slow burn romance that turns into a blazing inferno by the end.

This story carries us through a number of years and Zach is almost twenty before Ben’s defences fall and lets Zach into his heart or I should say Zach with pure frustration gives him no way out – lol! I loved the final scene where all these years of caring and loving from Ben and his family come to a final conclusion. Zach has found a home, a family who cares and loves him but most importantly someone he can love and cherish in return. What more could you wish for for Christmas. A truly beautiful Christmas story, with a real message and if you haven’t read it yet then I strongly recommend you do.


I first heard Sean narrating when I listened to Amy Lane’s Keeping Promise Rock. He is one of my favourite narrators and this still remains the same. He has done a wonderful job in bringing this emotional story of Christmas to life. His voice characterisations bring the words of the author to life and true living colour, giving them flight and brought Zach so near to my heart it hurt. I sat on every single word and found myself staying in my car to listen to the end of the current chapter before getting out after I had arrived home from work.


Audio Excerpt


Meet RJ Scott

RJS logo largeMy goal is to write stories with a heart of romance, a troubled road to reach happiness, and most importantly, that hint of a happily ever after.

I've been writing since age six, when I was made to stay in at lunchtime for an infraction involving cookies and the mixing bowl. You can't tell a six year old not to lick the bowl!

I was told to write a story and two sides of paper about a trapped princess later, a lover of writing was born.
As an avid reader myself, I can be found reading anything from thrillers to sci-fi to horror. However, my first real true love will always be the world of romance. I love my cowboys, bodyguards, firemen and billionaires (to name a few) and love to write dramatic and romantic stories of love and passion between these men. (Yum)
With over 70 titles to my name and counting, I am the author of the award winning book, The Christmas Throwaway, which was All Romance Ebooks best selling title of 2010.
I'm also known for the Texas series charting the lives of Riley and Jack, and the Sanctuary series following the work of the Sanctuary Foundation and the people it protects.

Connect with RJ




Audiobook Purchase Links




Ebook Purchase Links


No comments:

Post a Comment