Tuesday, October 06, 2015

Queer Romance Month: Mini Interview with Kris Ripper

KR

This mini-interview with one of our contributors is brought to you in support of Queer Romance Month.

QRM runs throughout October, celebrating love stories in all shades of the rainbow in all shades of romance. Join us, and over a hundred LGBTQ+ authors and allies, for essays, flash-fiction and much, much more.

paint-red

Kris Ripper

1. Why is queer romance important to you?

Queer romance is important. It’s important to everyone, even when they don’t know it. Maybe you’re not queer; I’m not straight, but I’ve certainly loved a great many books about straight characters. Some of those books have changed my life, some of them have enriched my world. Queer stories will do the same for everyone who reads them.

2. Tell us about your books

I like writing relationship dynamics we don’t always see in romance. I love polyamorous romances, super kinky folks finding each other, open relationships and relationships that change and are constantly reevaluated. I’m rarely satisfied ending with a fixed point; I always want to know what happens after that, how people stay together, what their struggles look like. I, um, write a lot of series books. I may have trouble letting things go...

3. Tell us a story – can be real, or fictional, about queer romance

This is a story about a book. I used to work at one of those huge multi-level bookstores, and one night as we were cleaning up the store, someone found a library book. Not just any library book, but a lesbian romance novel. “What’re we going to do with it?” someone asked. “Throw it away?” You can bet I almost jumped across the table. “Oh hell no we’re not! Give me that.” I quite enjoyed the book, and until that moment I didn’t know you could actually sell queer romance to publishers. So thanks to whoever checked out It’s in Her Kiss by Elizabeth Dean from the library and left it in a bookstore!

4. What do you think is the future of queer romance?

Man, the future is good. We’ll be seeing a lot more books in print and audio. We better be seeing some dissolving of the lines between “romance” and “queer romance”. More non-mainstream stories--a lot more stories with trans folks, and poly folks, and lesbians, and bisexuals. I’d love to see an awful lot more people of color in our stories, and a lot more non-traditionally-attractive folks on our covers.

Ripper’s contribution to Queer Romance Month – “A Chat About the Question of 'Authenticity' in M/M, Gender, and How This Shit Is Complex” - will be published on 22nd October.

“I’m queer, man. We didn't necessarily get a script in sex ed, and that's one of the greatest strengths of queer sexuality to me: it can be whatever you and your partner say it is, full stop.”

paint-red

Meet Kris Ripper

Kris Ripper lives in the great state of California and hails from the San Francisco Bay Area. Kris shares a converted garage with a toddler, can do two pull-ups in a row, and can write backwards. (No, really.) Kris is genderqueer and prefers the z-based pronouns because they’re freaking sweet. Ze has been writing fiction since ze learned how to write, and boring zir stuffed animals with stories long before that.

WebsiteFacebookTwitter

No comments:

Post a Comment