Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Pre-Release Review : Vanished 2 by Carter Quinn

91zEL0YmjsL._SL1500_

Title: Vanished 2

Author: Carter Quinn

Publisher: Carter Quinn Books

Release Date: 26th September 2015

Genre: M/M (mystery/thriller)

Rating:

grey stargrey stargrey stargrey stargrey star

goodreads add to

Synopsis

It's only been three weeks since Henry woke up to discover his husband, Tom, had vanished. He's still struggling to come to terms with his new reality when he receives a haunting phone call: “Henry. Help me.” It’s Tom's voice, but Henry is afraid to believe. His world has already come crashing down around him twice in the last six months. Is Tom really alive, or is Henry losing his grip on reality again?

1a_thumb4_thumbphone1a_thumb4_thumb

Mark’s Review

AARGH!!!!! THIS SERIES IS KILLING ME! I was emotionally crushed at the end of book one, left on a cliff-hanger of immense proportions, left sobbing my heart out and have never waited for sooooo long in so much anticipation for a second instalment. It felt like the longest wait for a book I have ever had.

I have now finished book 2 and all I can say is - AARRGGHHH!!!!!!! Still not at the end and I must be a sucker for punishment. I LOVE this series! But thankfully the wait for book 3 will hopefully not be so long.

I was left at the end of book one a snivelling, tear stained, emotional wreck and then in the epilogue left on a cliff-hanger to end all cliff-hangers. Well, book two starts with a quick reminder of book one which I thought a very nice touch as it had been so long, but to be honest book one has stuck in my mind so vividly it only took the few pages provided by Carter to be back in the thick of things in an instant.

Henry's loss still bears heavily on him but after having his breakdown in the first book here he tries to regain some form of normality by going back to work and trying to move on with his life. The scenes where he is alone in his house thinking about Tom are as heart breaking as ever, I could feel his loneliness and desolation but this time it is overshadowed by more sinister goings-on. Is Tom really dead or not? Again Henry thinks he's losing his mind but then several turn of events that are all too real convinces him that he can't be and hires a private detective to shed more light on the matter. As things become unbearable with the phone calls his loss for Tom soon turns into anger at the taunting and the hopelessness of his situation. But even in this anger I felt tragic loss and yearning. I guess if you have been with someone for so long then you’ll miss them forever, it just becomes easier to bear.

Henry's best friend, Shaun, still remains an enigma for me. One minute I like him and then the next I’m not sure, don't trust him, always this feeling that there is more to Shaun than meets the eye. Well, this book is no different and even here there is a time where Henry has his doubts too but Shaun throws him a complete curve ball and once again we're back to guessing Shaun's motives. I seriously hope in book three the enigma that is Shaun is resolved for me one way or the other. I would really like to love him or hate him but at the moment it’s impossible to do one or the other and that really messes with my mind – lol!

Carter's writing remains as tight and fast paced in the second book as in the first which meant no chance for me putting the book down once I had started. So heed my words make sure you find three hours for yourself where you’ll be completely undisturbed as you’ll need it! This is one book where interruptions are to be avoided at all costs. The book is perfectly plotted, moving from one scenario to the next very smoothly, surprising the reader all the time with a turn of events and emotional attachment to Henry's situation as in the first. There is no sex in this book, yes you heard me, NO SEX! And to be honest I wouldn't want it in this story, it wouldn't be right. Suits me just fine. It wouldn’t be appropriate at this stage in the story and would throw the plot out completely. Henry is not there yet to consider any kind of relationship. But this book for me is more about the other emotions experienced. It's great just to read a fantastic mystery-thriller with gay characters that I can feel so much for but without having to bring sex into it. Don't get me wrong I love a good sexy scene as well as the next man / woman but here it really is not necessary. There is definitely enough emotion and palpable tension going on to get you hot under the collar without having steamy sex. Incredible, right? The fantastic writing style of Carter Quinn in this book for me is perfect, sits well with me and fits me like a glove. Writing I can truly wrap myself up in and get completely lost in for a few wonderful and memorable hours. Once again all this packed into 106 pages, sheer genius if you ask me.

So as in the first book we get to the epilogue and it was with a great sense of trepidation that I started reading it. It was like trying to watch a film with one eye closed due to the anticipation. Rather difficult to do that while reading but the one eye was definitely trying to look away. So the epilogue started, nothing sinister and then………

………………… AAARRRGGGHHH! SHIT, DAMN FUCK AND BLAST!!!!!!

This is cruel, just cruel!!!!!!  - Do you hear me Mr Quinn? - CRUEL!!!– lol!

Just when you thought everything was going to be OK you left once again on the edge of your seat with an ending that will now not leave me in peace – gggrrrr!! The third book had better be coming out fast otherwise I'll be doing a vanishing act of my own and come to haunt Mr Quinn personally myself until the third book is out! I know one thing now though and that is when the third book comes out, I will most definitely sit down at some stage and read all three books in succession as one book.

1a_thumb4_thumbphone1a_thumb4_thumb

Meet Carter Quinn

downloadCarter Quinn was born and raised in a very small Western Kansas town where cattle vastly outnumber humans. He began spinning tales in fourth grade. After high school, he shelved his creativity in favor of a career. Now that he knows gay fiction doesn’t have to be depressing, he’s told Corporate America to kiss his books. Carter lives in the Denver area, near his beloved Colorado Avalanche.

Connect with Carter Quinn

FACEBOOK | WEBSITE | TWITTER | GOODREADS

AMAZON AUTHOR PAGE

1a_thumb4_thumbphone1a_thumb4_thumb

Series Reading Order and Purchase Links

229228445

Rating ~ 5 Stars

MARK’S REVIEW

Synposis

Henry Cooley has good friends and a good life. He’s secure in his job and his relationship. He and Tom, the love of his life, are about to celebrate their twenty-first anniversary as a couple. Their son, CJ, is in his second year at Cal Arts. Henry's only problems are his growing dissatisfaction with his job and the fact that Tom's parents still hate him, even after all these years. At least those are his only problems until the morning he wakes up to discover Tom has vanished.

 

 

 

AMAZON | B&N | KOBO | SMASHWORDS

1[24]

91zEL0YmjsL._SL1500_

Rating ~ 5 Stars

Synopsis

It's only been three weeks since Henry woke up to discover his husband, Tom, had vanished. He's still struggling to come to terms with his new reality when he receives a haunting phone call: “Henry. Help me.” It’s Tom's voice, but Henry is afraid to believe. His world has already come crashing down around him twice in the last six months. Is Tom really alive, or is Henry losing his grip on reality again?

 

 

 

 

AMAZON | KOBO | SMASHWORDS

No comments:

Post a Comment