Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Charlie Cochet’s Men & Mischief Monthly Author Column

M & M 1

Hello all! Thank you so much for joining me for the first post of my monthly author column! A huge thank you to the amazing folks at Sinfully for giving me this chance. It’s always such a pleasure being here.

FF_Divider_Pink

Tags? We Don’t Need No Stinking Tags!

Actually, we kind of do. I’m talking about author taglines. We’ve all seen them. But why do we need them? Do we need them? Some believe we do, some don’t. Personally, I think we do. When you visit an author’s website and you see their name, do you know who they are and what kind of stories they write? What if they’re a new-to-you author? That’s where the tagline comes in. It gives you an idea of who that author is and what you can expect from them.

When I first started writing M/M Romance, I wrote mainly Historical set in the 1920s and 1930s. Although I knew I’d eventually be branching out into other genres, my tagline fit what I was currently writing, Charlie Cochet: Where Romance is the Cat’s Pajamas. Once I broke out into other genres of M/M, I knew I had to update that tagline, which meant really thinking about what I’d written so far and what all those stories had in common. Who was I as a writer? Geez, and I thought writing the dreaded synopsis was tough.

I thought about the THIRDS series, the North Pole City Tales series, The Auspicious Troubles of Love series, the Fallen Rose series, Little Bite of Love…. All completely different genres ranging from Historical to Paranormal to Fantasy, plus I’ve got Contemporary coming soon. How was I supposed to tie all these very different stories together? What was the common factor? What did readers expect when they picked up one of my books? It struck me then.

All my stories have three things in common.

1. Heroes. Mt stories are filled with heroes, sometimes whole casts of them. I seem to have trouble writing a book with fewer than half a dozen key characters. They may not always be your typical heroes, but their actions, their love, their sacrifices, everything they do for those they care about makes them a hero. They fight for what they believe in against all odds, shedding blood, sweat, and tears to reach their happily ever after.

2. Humor. This is not to say that each story is a comedy. Some are. But each story has humor, whether it’s a small amount or a full-blown romantic comedy. I love humor. Among all the drama, pain, and heartache, we need a little laughter in our lives. Humor’s a tough one to write. It has to feel organic. There’s also the fact that not everyone will find the same things amusing or funny. Dex is a great example. There are readers who think he’s hilarious, while others think he’s annoying. It’s all a matter of personal taste. But that’s the great thing about books. There’s something for everyone. All my stories have some form of humor, whether it’s in the form of Chance’s sarcastic wit, Dex’s adorkable one-liners, or Julius’s sass. These guys got swagger and they know how to use it.

3. Heart. I’m a sappy romantic. My fellas will always get their happily ever after, even if they have to fight tooth and nail to get it. I also write romance, which means among the explosions, flying bullets, punch-ups, and car chases, there’s loving going on, and I don’t just mean sexy-times (though there’s that too). Most of the fellas in my books have been through a hell of a lot before the story even starts, and then I give them a hug, push them off a cliff with a tablecloth, a couple of paperclips, and expect them to go all MacGyver to get themselves home safely. Home being the love they find.

So what’s my new tagline? Charlie Cochet: Heroes, Humor, and Heart. I think it fits pretty well, don’t you?

What do you think about author taglines? Do you ever look at them? Do you think they help? When you visit an author’s website, what do you expect to see?

FF_Divider_Pink

Meet Charlie Cochet


Charlie_Cochet_by_madison_parker150
Charlie Cochet is an author by day and artist by night. Always quick to succumb to the whispers of her wayward muse, no star is out of reach when following her passion. From Historical to Fantasy, Contemporary to Science Fiction, there’s bound to be plenty of mischief for her heroes to find themselves in, and plenty of romance, too!

Currently residing in South Florida, Charlie looks forward to migrating to a land where the weather includes seasons other than hot, hotter, and boy, it’s hot! When she isn’t writing, she can usually be found reading, drawing, or watching movies. She runs on coffee, thrives on music, and loves to hear from readers.

WEBSITE | THIRDS HQ | FACEBOOK | FACEBOOK AUTHOR PAGE | TWITTER | PINTEREST | TUMBLR | INSTAGRAM | CHARLIE'S NEWSLETTER

CHARLIE’S AMAZON PAGE

FF_Divider_Pink

Giveaway

Each week, on our Wednesday Author Column posts we will gift to one lucky commenter answering the author question, a Kindle eBook from your TBR list.

CONGRATULATIONS go to Gen Marie. This week’s winner of Charlie’s Column

Good Luck!

48 comments:

  1. Hi Charlie! Great post and I find your new tagline pretty spot on ;-)

    I don't always actively search for the author tagline... but after reading a book I liked, I often go to the author website to look for his/her other works and it does make it easier to understand what to expect.

    I also like it when the author's site has an updated bibliography with series reading order and work in progress, and also a link to blog posts (if they exist). I especially am fond of "bonus" feature like short stories set in one of the series world, mug shots of the characters in the author's mind...

    Not to soft-soap you, but your website is a model to be followed ;-) Thank you for spoiling us!

    foebz@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Elle! Thank you so much! I'm so happy you like the tagline and thrilled you enjoy the website. It took some time to research what content to put on there, but I definitely did so with readers in mind. I'm so glad it's working for you! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Love your new tag line....it's a perfect fit for your books! Which I am a huge fan of!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kathy! I'm so happy to hear you're enjoying the books. Thank you for stopping by! <3

      Delete
  3. I didn't even know what a tagline was until an author I read was running a contest to update theirs. I think a tagline is great to, at a glance, get a sense of an author.
    When visiting an authors website I expect to see some organization. Books they have written, a bio (which would include any other pen names), buy links, WIP, and coming soon.
    I think your new tagline fits you perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Denise! Thank you so much for dropping by! Organization is definitely important! It's no fun if you have to go digging for information. And thank you! I'm glad you like the new tagline!

      Delete
  4. I always read an author's tag line, but then again I also read the author bio and any other notes they place in a book too. All of that often gives me a better feel for where an author is coming from, especially new to me authors whose books I am considering.

    debdeege (at) optonline (dot) net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, Debra! I agree it can be very helpful with new authors. Thank you so much for joining in! :D

      Delete
  5. Love the new tag line :) I don't usually notice them, but will be looking out for them now ;)

    cerisell at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ceri! Thank you so much! Glad you like it. :D And thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Love the new tag line! I automatically think of Sloan and Dex from THIRDS, man I love that bunch.
    Haven't met a tag line that I didn't like or didn't fit the author perfectly. Can't wait for the next book in the THIRDS Series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Stacy! I'm glad you like the tagline and so happy you're enjoying the THIRDS series! Against the Grain will be here before you know it! ;)

      Delete
  7. Very apt and fitting tag line. I love your series. I think there is one I haven't tried yet. Love how much you have branched out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much, Valeri! So happy you're enjoying the books! :D

      Delete
  8. So happy you will be doing a regular column here. Always enjoy your writing. And love the new tagline.

    I do think taglines are helpful and often fun as well. However, I would not want to have to write one. ;-)

    jen.f {at} mac {dot} com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jen! It's exciting to be here. It's always so much fun. Writing a tagline I think is almost as tough as writing the dreaded synopsis. LOL.

      Delete
  9. I'm a big believer in tag lines and have helped create them for some of the non-profits I volunteer with. I think your new line is spot on! I do look at tag lines when perusing an author's website. I like the website to include a chronological list of books with genres annotated. BTW, while I enjoy historicals, I love the THIRDS series!

    skadlec1@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Susan! I can't imagine having to come up with several taglines. One was tough enough! LOL. So glad you're enjoying the THIRDS series! <3

      Delete
  10. Hi Charlie : ) I love your new tag line. It includes what I love about what you create. My exposure to romance didn't include gay characters, heroes, humor, and heart. It's hard to articulate the snoopy dance happiness I get after feeling included in the romance genre.

    I think tag lines are useful. I read more if it matches what I'm searching. I might stop investigating if it doesn't match. So in addition, I think they have to be good if they are included.

    Regarding author sites, I hope to find the usuals like book descriptions, and also, the insights like you have included in this post. I also love the social media elements that can extend the experience. I always want more of the happily every after elements from the stories and characters.

    I love the way you write, the characters, and stories you create Charlie. Thank you so much for the happy journeys. I can't wait for Healing Hunter's Heart which will be released in 2 days!

    Thank you Charlie,
    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much for your lovely words, Brad! I'm so happy you're enjoying the stories, and I hope you enjoy Healing Hunter's Heart just as much. I'm with you on the taglines being helpful in figuring out if an author's books might be what you're looking for. Thanks so much for stopping by! <3

      Delete
  11. I love the new tagline! It really works for all your stories :) I love all your books and I think this is perfect!

    Sadonna
    sxswann(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your tag line. Succinct but inclusionary. :) Looking forward to more columns.

    Waxapplelover (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for joining me! :D

      Delete
  13. I have to admit though I have browsed your books and have seen many that interest me. I have not actually made a purchase. I think the tagline is an excellent development. It would help me to quickly see what type of writer the author is. For example if I saw "Charlie Cochet: Heroes, Humor, and Heart!", it would quickly help me to decide to quit dillydallying and take the plunge! I love heroes, humor and heart!

    Thank you for the article and inspiring me to jump in the pool!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Senior moments keep happening!

      ree.dee.2014 at gmail.com

      Delete
    2. Thank yo so much, Ree! I'm so happy to hear the taglines have helped! Hope you enjoy the books! :D

      Delete
  14. Hi Charlie! Great post...thanks for sharing!!
    I love the new tagline! I can't say I knew what they were but anytime I go to an author's website, I definitely see them. I think yours is perfect for all your stories! Now that I know specifically what they are, I do think they help to get a reader's attention about what they're going to get into if they decide to read the author's work. And anytime I go to an author's site, I honestly just like seeing what books/series they have published and what they're working on. I LOVE how far out your "works in progress" go....gives me so much to look forward to!! Snippets and extras are always nice but I really tend to just check for what's out and what's coming....especially when I want to make sure I'm reading the books in the right order :)
    Genny
    genbez1@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Genny! I'm so glad you find the taglines helpful. Series order is especially important. I know I can get confused easily when starting a new series, so being able to easily find a page on the author's site with the reading order is a huge help. Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. Congratulations Gen, you have been chosen as our winner for Charlie's column. Email coming your way from us :-)

      Delete
  15. Very nice new tagline! I do like seeing taglines on an authors site but I don't necessary think every author has to have one. I find the catchier one is more likely I'll remember the author at first glance but other than that I don't think too much on it.

    humhumbum AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, H.B.! And thank you so much for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  16. Okay... consider me inspired... this will be my next task :)

    I do see taglines... I like them. I agree they are part of your brand, yes? The way you see yourself as an author and how you want authors to see. It's easy to make them too narrow or too broad, though. So I think careful consideration is needed when it comes to producing and advertising. It think it's important not to be too specific, but also not to be too terribly broad. It's an art. The one that comes immediately to mind is Amy Lane's "Angst and Pain" I think she's just recently redone her site and tagline, but that one said so much about her work, and all of it fabulously true. I think the the tagline has to be fitting to both the author and the work... ugh... now to think... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Crissy! Absolutely! It certainly takes a lot of work and I agree that you can't be too specific or too broad. And you thought the dreaded synopsis was hard. LOL. Good luck! Hope it goes well!

      Delete
  17. I like your new tagline! I don't tend to go looking for taglines but the more catchy ones do stick with me. amaquilante(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Antonia! And thank you for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  18. I had never actually noticed there were tag lines , I promise to look out for them now. Your does definitely fit . And really how can anyone not love Dex in THIRDS !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Irene! And thank you so much for dropping by. Glad to hear you're enjoying Dex and his shenanigans. ;)

      Delete
  19. After I am done reading a book that I enjoyed i go to the authors website or amazon page to see if anything else catches my attention. I read the taglines but they dont sway me either way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jodi! And thank you for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  20. I love your new tag line, but I have to admit, I'm not one to notice them too often. I do notice them when I go to the Facebook sites and websites though.
    jczlapin@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jen! And thank you for dropping by! :D

      Delete
  21. Hi there! I'm not sure I ever noticed tag lines before but if it was clever or humorous I'm sure it caught my attention. When I go to an author's sight I like to see all their books logged and if they are a series the reading order. And if there are any future books I absolutely want to see a potential release date. Nothing is worse than wanting the next book in a series you are hooked on and having no clue when you can read the next one. Also would like it if the author had a way to send you a message once it was out.
    Love you books! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much, Sheila! I'm so happy to hear you you're enjoying the books. Having updates, especially on a series, is very helpful. Thank you so much for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  22. My name is Alice Crystal and I’m from the United States.I’m writing this testimony to tell anyone who needs help No matter if it’s help for love,money or anything else there’s only one place to go to get this help there’s nothing to big they can help you with whatever your problem is. I had contacted them to get some help Dr Oluku was very understanding in my situation and my problem Dr Oluku told me everything I had to do to get this help and what was required of me, Dr Oluku was always there to answer any question I had and was always quick in responding to my questions or any problem I had. They will be there for you every step of the way and will be by your side for as long as you need them. Dr Oluku will solve any of your problems and get you the out come you deserve and want. If you want your lover back or you need help with any other situation all you have to do is contact this email address and ask for help.They are caring and understanding and will help you every step of the way.I never believed in magic or that there was anyone who could help until I contacted this email drolukuspellhome@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Charlie - I don't really pay much attention to taglines but your new one is catchy and a good description for your books! I'm a big fan of all your books and series - just got Hunter's book - can't wait to spend time this weekend reading it <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lisa! Aw, thank you so much! I hope you enjoy Healing Hunter's Heart. And thank you so much for stopping by. :D

      Delete
  24. I have been HIV positive for 6 years and long for the day to be free of this disease. I would love to be part of any trial that helped find the cure, i have an undetectable viral load and CD4 count of around 1100.
    I have tried almost everything but I couldn't find any solution on my disease, despite all these happening to me, i always spend a lot to buy a HIV drugs from hospital and taking some several medications but no relieve, until one day i was just browsing on the internet when i came across a great post of !Mechelle rose ! who truly said that she was been diagnose with HIV and was healed that very week through the help of this great powerful healing spell doctor ,I wonder why he is called the great Dr, AZIZA, i never knew it was all because of the great and perfect work that he has been doing that is causing all this. so I quickly contacted him, and he ask me some few questions and so i did all the things he asked me to do,He ask me to buy some herbs and which I did for my cure,only to see that at the very day which he said i will be healed, all the strength that has left me before rush back and i becomes very strong and healthy, this disease almost kills my life all because of me, so i went to hospital to give the final test to the disease and the doctor said i am HIV negative, i am very amazed and happy about the healing doctor AZIZA gave to me from the ancient part of Africa, you can email him now for your own healing too on his email: dr.AZIZASPELLTEMPLE@gmail.com or call +2349031112512 thanks

    ReplyDelete