Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Sociopath by Lime Craven ~ New Review

Contemporary muscle man

Title: Sociopath

Author: Lime Craven

Genre: Dark Erotica

Release Date: October 23 2014


4 stars

add to gr


The name's Aeron Lore. And you are...? Such a pleasure to meet you, sweetheart. Is that a southern accent? Gorgeous.
You fucking bitch.
Why so surprised? I control a billion dollar fortune. I control the news. Give me five minutes and I'll control you, too. If you could read my mind, you'd probably call me perverted. Unnatural. Manipulative. But I've learned to blend in, to be funny and charming. A predator in a designer suit.
I have no conscience. No shame in taking the things I want. And what I wanted was for Leontine Reeves to sell me her boutique tech firm so I could exploit the fuck out of it. Maybe exploit the fuck out of her, too, because desire haunts me in shades of scarlet, and I desire Leo most of all.
I never meant for this to be a love story. I fought it kicking and screaming, the same way Leo fought me. Now we're bleeding into each other, making a mess. A chaos. There's no control here. And what do monsters like me do when control leaves the building?
We attack.

Becs’ Review

Well, this was definitely dark and really quite erotic but it’s not for the faint at heart as Aeron Lore likes to play hard and right on the edge.  I guess at the centre of the story is the BIG question – can a sociopath ever truly fall in love or is he just self-righteously serving himself for his own motivations?  I’ll leave you to decide when you’ve read through to the very end because, even though the words are said, I still believe that it’s open to interpretation.


The story is told from our sociopath, Aeron Lore’s point of view and being inside his head is definitely not a comfortable place to be.  He’s not one of the nice boys – he’s absolutely an anti-hero.  He actually reminded me a lot of Leonardo Di Caprio’s character from Wolf of Wall Street, Jordan Belfort.  He’s ambitious, avaricious, capricious and ultimately really rather malicious and his story is a bit of a hedonistic and egotistical tale of depravity which at once enthrals and captivates and yet manages to appal the reader too. Safe to say – it’s a mind fuck of epic proportions as I found myself actually rooting for someone who is a gamma hero, at best and really far more of a villain, if I’m honest.


Often, I found myself wondering whether the narrative was actually celebrating his villainy rather than serving as a cautionary tale and wondered if Lime Craven was rubbing her hands in glee as she wrote some of his darker scenes.  He’s not easy to like that’s for sure and when his darker sexual proclivities are revealed, I confess to squirming a little because of his mind set – this isn’t the controlled and caring dom we’re often treated to in erotic romance.  No, this is a sociopath that’s definitely dipping one toe into the psychopath pool.  In the end, I decided to just go with the ride because the style is really rather witty and dry and the book often had me smiling to myself  and, even though it’s all kinds of wrong, it’s actually very engaging and a thrilling read.


I found it very hard to warm to Aeron’s little  Lion – Leontine herself.  I did find myself pitying her because, with our reader’s birds eye view, we’ve got a much bigger picture of the situation than she has and we know what’s coming but, mostly, I just didn’t like her and didn’t care too much what was about to happen to her.  She had few redeeming features if I’m brutally honest – even Aeron is raising his little brother, even if it is just for show!


It’s an exuberant romp that I think will keep you entertained whatever your opinion of Aeron turns out to be and definitely this offers something a little different, even for the dark erotica genre.  Just be prepared to squirm and shudder and, for my part, not really like the main protagonists.  So, I think that if you like your romances darker than dark, then this will probably appeal to you – if you like to discover a lighter and more noble side to your tortured hero and ultimately true love at the end of the story, then this probably isn’t the one for you.  Definitely one for the darker romance junkies.


4 sociopathic stars

Buy From Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment