Wednesday, November 12, 2014

After The Rain by Renée Carlino ~ New Review

after the rain

Title: After The Rain

Author: Renée Carlino

Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance

Release Date: November 12 2014

Rating:

3 stars

Synopsis

From the USA TODAY bestselling author of Sweet Thing and Nowhere But Here comes a deeply emotional contemporary romance about the second chances waiting beyond the shattered dreams of youth.
Under the bright arena lights of a rodeo show, young Avelina Belo falls for a handsome cowboy with a larger-than-life personality. After a whirlwind courtship, she happily moves away from her family in northern California and settles into married life with her cowboy on a seven-thousand-acre cattle ranch in Montana. One freak accident later, Avelina’s hopes for the future come to an end.
Nate Myers graduated from UCLA medical school at the top of his class, ready to follow in the footsteps of his father, a superstar cardiothoracic surgeon. Six years later, Nate’s career is being ruined by a malpractice suit. Questioning himself for the first time, he retreats to a Montana cattle ranch to visit his uncle and gain perspective. There, he meets a beautiful young woman named Avelina who teaches him more than he ever knew about matters of the heart.

Lorie’s Review

I was looking forward to an emotional, sweet, and romantic story. I got what I asked for, but I didn't love it like I wanted to. The writing is beautiful, the story is beautiful, but I just couldn't connect with the heroine. I was by no means impressed with her. She constantly blamed herself for something she wasn’t responsible for.

Since I’m struggling to write a full review, I’m finding it easier to just list the things that kept me from falling in love.

Ava. I felt sorry for her loss, but not necessarily her. She wasn’t very welcoming, and she came off as a bitch. It’s easy to see why some characters in the book saw her as a lost cause. I really didn’t connect with her AT ALL. The constant self-blame was a huge turn off. As soon as she found herself opening up, it’s like she realized what she was doing and slammed that door shut – quite exasperating to say the least. She was young and without anyone to really guide her when it all happened, but there’s only so much feeling sorry for yourself and self-persecution I can take. I was frustrated with Ava, and unfortunately that affected my feelings overall.

(I did, however, connect with Nate. There’s just something about him, and it certainly wasn’t his doctorly bedside manner because he didn’t have one. He may focus only on work, but his personality is attractive for some reason. )

I had trouble with the dynamic of Nate and Ava’s attraction. I know the attraction was there, but just didn’t get it or feel it. It felt a bit artificial. Neither have been with anyone for years, and for some reason when their paths cross it's like all of a sudden it's time. I'm not anti insta-love, but it needs to feel possible. I got the feeling Nate and Ava happened more out of convenience than a deep need for one another.

Overall, am I glad I picked this up? Yes, I just wish I was able to get lost in it to the point where I could absolutely love it. I liked the setting of Montana and the ranch. I like the premise of the story. But, sadly, this one just wasn’t for me.

 

Buy From Amazon

 

Author Bio

renee carlinoRenée Carlino lives in Southern California with her husband, two sons, and their sweet dog, June. When she's not at the beach

with her boys or working on her next book, she likes to spend her time reading, going to concerts, and eating dark chocolate.

To learn more, visit ReneeCarlino.com.

Find Renee online:

http://reneecarlino.com/

Facebook

Twitter

Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment