Monday, October 06, 2014

Shame by Rachel Van Dyken ~ Release Day Launch and Review

shame rvd

Title: Shame (Ruin, #3)

Author: Rachel Van Dyken

Genre: New Adult

Release Date: October 6 2014

Rating:

4 stars

add to gr

Synopsis

Everything done in darkness, will eventually be brought into the light.

I ran, but all it did was keep me one step ahead of my past. I tried to start over; new name, new identity. But you can't change your soul.

A fresh start at college was just what I needed. For a while, it worked. I was the party girl, the one that seemed confident, but it was a lie.

When guys kissed me--I felt only pain.

When they touched me--Nothing but fear.

Deep inside, every girl wants to be the beauty in the story, to find someone that will see you as their world.

But the truth? I was the beast. And as much as I wanted redemption, I wasn't fool enough to think I'd ever get it.

Until he walked into my life.

I wasn't prepared to fall for someone. My scars were too deep, the wounds too raw. But he offered me peace, he offered me security. I should have known it was just another lie--I should have known that falling in love with my professor was a bad idea.

But I was powerless to stop myself from falling.

And he was powerless to catch me.

Because the darkness finally caught up to me, and as fate would have it, a cruel twist almost bled me dry. But I'm stronger than I knew. I'm stronger than you think.

You think you know my story, but you don't....after all everyone has Shame in their lives-- and I'm no longer afraid to show you mine.

Trailer

 

Lisa’s Review

3.5/4 Stars!

"Unfortunately, the thing about running, the thing about trying to start over - eventually that hope is dashed by your past coming up to greet you like the fires of hell."

 

image

 

Shame is book three in Rachel Van Dyken’s Ruin series. I am a huge fan of this series and have been looking forward to Lisa’s story for quite some time. In this book Ms. Van Dyken takes us on an emotional rollercoaster ride with a story that is intricately woven. We’ve all done things that we are not proud of. However, what would happen if your deepest and darkest secrets were suddenly out in the open? How would you deal with the shame? We can all run from our pasts but sooner or later you will get caught.

Lisa (a.k.a. Mel) is haunted by her past. Despite the fact that she ran and established a new identity she is still emotionally crippled by events in her past that cause her deep remorse and shame. Lisa has tried hard to keep the truth hidden, forgotten, but it is all starting to catch up with her. She lives in fear that all her indiscretions and decisions she made when she was young and vulnerable will come barreling out into the open for all to see. When the past finally does start to unravel reemerge, Lisa begins the descent back into the fiery pits of hell that consumed her for so long. The memories, the darkness and the desperation all start to claw at her threatening to pull her under for good. When Tristan comes into Lisa’s life he somehow provides a beacon of light for her, a way out of the dark. But Tristan is harboring his own secrets that can destroy Lisa. Can he guide Lisa out from under the storm or will their relationship be yet another experience in Lisa’s life that will cause her shame?

I did enjoy the way this book played out even though I had a hard time identifying with Lisa and understanding where she was coming from. This author threw in some great twists and turns, some of which I did not see coming. It did take me some time to warm up to Tristan as well. He came off as quite the ass-wipe, particularly in the beginning. The way he was with Lisa when they first meet was a little hard to swallow. Essentially, this book was like a slow burn for me. As things began to unravel I found myself becoming more enthralled with the story.

All in all, Shame was an enjoyable read and a great installment that ends this series. This book is about coming to terms with one’s past and being able to accept that there are things we are unable to change. The past can be suffocating and can keep us in a prison of our own making if we allow it. We simply need to grow from our mistakes and move forward with our heads held high. I will admit that this book is not my favorite in the series but, nevertheless, it is still a great read. This author has a way with words that I find compelling. She easily draws me into her stories and I quickly become engrossed in the pain, desolation, uncertainty, happiness, passion and love all experienced by her life-sized characters. If you have yet to give this series a try, I highly recommend you do so.

 

Series Reading Order

1. Ruin -  Amazon US + Amazon UK

2. Toxic - Amazon US + Amazon UK

2.5 Fearless - Amazon US + Amazon UK

3. Shame -  Amazon US + Amazon UK

 

Author Bio

RachelAuthorheadshotRachel Van Dyken is the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today Bestselling author of regency and contemporary romances. When she's not writing you can find her drinking coffee at Starbucks and plotting her next book while watching The Bachelor.
She keeps her home in Idaho with her Husband and their snoring Boxer, Sir Winston Churchill. She loves to hear from readers! You can follow her writing journey at www.rachelvandykenauthor.com

Links:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RachelVanDyken

Twitter: https://twitter.com/RachVD

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4882127.Rachel_Van_Dyken?from_search=true

Amazon Author Page: http://www.amazon.com/Rachel-Van-Dyken/e/B0054TW5AA/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1407369649&sr=8-2-ent

No comments:

Post a Comment