Thursday, October 09, 2014

Her Master’s Teacher by Lily White ~ Pre-Release Day Review


Title: Her Master’s Teacher (Masters, #2)

Author: Lily White

Genre: Dark Erotica

Release Date: October 10 2014


5 stars blog

add to gr


She caught my attention the first day I was seated in her class. Her dark red hair fell in waves down her back and her alabaster skin appeared to sparkle under the lights of the lecture hall I'd admired her from a distance, never speaking or doing anything to draw attention to myself. Each day that I spent watching her in this room, I noticed how her eyes would flick up to me. She was wary of me - frightened - and she had reason to be. Allow me to introduce myself… My name is Holland Strong and at 21 years old, I'm the youngest Master within a society of wealthy and influential men. Claire Elliot is my psychology professor in college - that is, at least, until I make her my first courtesan. She believes she knows everything about how the mind works… …and I believe I can prove her wrong.


Becs’ Review

HMT warning

OK, so I know that it’s all kinds of wrong and morally objectionable but these Masters series books from Lily White are like literary crack for me.  When it comes to dark erotica, these books simply just push all the right buttons – she really does seem to have the combination of taboo erotica and abject horror down to a perfect balance.  I definitely don’t agree with sex trafficking, rape or any of the subject matter in the book and, for sure, I wouldn’t want to be abducted from my life at the whim of some rich man to lose all freedom of choice and to serve that man sexually but, heck, does it make for some incredibly compelling reading.

Lily has followed up the highly controversial Her Master’s Courtesan with what can only be described as a darkly twisted and wickedly erotic novel in Her Master’s Teacher.  It’s a far more complex novel than it’s predecessor with a plot that will keep you guessing right until the very end.  Lily really did a number on me with this one – I constantly thought I had things straight in my head, knew who was controlling who but Lily was regularly turning the plot around when I least expected it.  I was getting more and more intrigued and by the time I hit the 60% point, I was quite literally GLUED to my Kindle.  It didn’t matter that the clock on my nightstand had slipped past the witching hour, I was going to finish this whatever.  I think it’s the hallmark of a perfect match of a book for a reader when you just can’t put the damn thing down and never was that more true for me than when I was finishing this book.  The darkened world around me simply melted away – all that remained were the words on the page and the story, living vividly in my imagination.

If you’ve read Her Master’s Courtesan, you’ll be familiar with Aiden – quite possibly the devil incarnate himself.  He’s a fully fledged, highly respected Master within the secret society and he is also training Holland Strong, the youngest Master of the group at only 21 and the book begins with a certain amount of familiarity as Holland abducts his psychology college Professor, some 10 years his senior, and takes her to Aiden’s house to begin her ‘training’.  Make no mistake – this is ‘training’ in the loosest sense of the word so please heed the warnings that come with this book.  This is brutal and controversial but, as I mentioned before, so incredibly compelling.

Clare is the latest ‘Courtesan’ to be procured and we follow, at least at first, a now familiar path with Claire awakening from a drug-induced slumber, bound in Aiden’s freezing cold training room to begin her transformation from free-thinking, independent woman to subservient and obedient Courtesan.  BUT, she’s quite possibly going to be the most challenging woman they have ever chosen for the role.  As a psychology professor, she’s researched Stockholm Syndrome extensively and is determined to use her knowledge to keep her sanity and integrity – to prevent herself from being broken down.  She’s mentally very strong and able to calm herself, think rationally about her situation and is determined not to let these men win – this will be a Battle Royale between Master and reluctant Courtesan.

As Holland learns the ropes. he takes a softer approach than Aiden but just wait for Aiden to step in and dish out his brutal punishments.  This man is every bit as dark as he was in the first book and then some!  I am actually quite afraid of Aiden – I shudder when I think of him and I think this is what makes Lily white’s Masters books into perfect dark erotica.  I’m at once terrified and turned on by what I’m reading – this is exactly what dark erotica should do to the reader.

I don’t want to give too many plot details away, as I said, I was never really sure right until the end of the book quite what was really going down here but you should expect an onslaught of sexual violence, a distinct lack of consent and plenty of mental torture but also one woman, finding strength in the awful situation she finds herself in and choosing to fight.  There’s a lot to admire in Claire as she goes head to head with the men who have taken her freedom and a lot to fear in both Aiden and Holland and other equally terrifying Masters that we meet. Rebecca, the Courtesan from the first book, features heavily in this one and it’s fascinating to see how her life is now.  If you’ve read that one, this is a must read for sure.

As always the writing is super tight – Lily’s beautiful style always sucks me in and keeps me captivated.  If you enjoy a walk on the darker, no possibly darkest, side of erotica and the explicit violence and mental cruelty that goes with it and are looking for an intelligently written yet very taboo piece of erotica, then look no further than this series.  As I said earlier, Her Master’s Courtesan was very controversial and subsequently banned by Amazon but it is still available for sale at Smashwords.  I sincerely hope she carries on with this series – can’t wait for more from these devilishly dark Masters.


5 terrifyingly taboo stars


Masters Series Reading Order

Her Master’s Courtesan

Buy From Smashwords | Add to Goodreads | Read our Review

Her Master’s Teacher

Buy From Amazon | Add to Goodreads




Author Bio

lily whiteLily White is a dark writer who likes to dabble on the taboo side of eroticism. Most of the time she can be found wandering around aimlessly while her mind is stuck in some twisted power play between two characters in her head. You may recognize her in public by the confused expression, random mumbling, and occasional giggle while thinking up a scene. Lily's favorite things in life are reading, thinking about reading, buying books for reading....and writing. Her other secret pleasure is meeting with her plot editor in public to discuss her books and watching the shocked expressions of the people around her that don't realize she's talking about a book. When Lily is not reading, writing, wandering or freaking out innocent bystanders, she's sleeping.

Lily White links:

Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Amazon ~ GoodReads



No comments:

Post a Comment