Friday, October 03, 2014

Down & Out by Kelley R Martin ~ New Review

down and out kelley r martin

Title: Down and Out

Author: Kelley R Martin

Genre: Contemporary New Adult Romance

Release Date: September 28 2014


4.5 stars

add to gr

“Tattooed package of sin.”

That’s how Savannah Ryan would describe her new boss, Declan Whitmore, the deliciously tatted and pierced fighter who holds the top spot in Boston’s newest underground fighting organization. She’d also describe him as bossy, arrogant, and—depending on what he does to piss her off that particular day—an asshole.

It’s that aloof attitude, along with Savannah’s witty comebacks and tight little body that land her on his radar. Unfortunately for her, Declan is relentless when he sets his sights on someone, both in and out of the ring. Unfortunately for him, this recently reformed bad girl is trying to go straight after heading down a dangerous path. She’s not going to make this easy for him. In fact, she’s going to make it—and him—very, very hard.

Declan’s not worried, though. He’ll have Savannah come hell or high water, because if there’s one word he’d use to describe her, it’s “MINE.”

Lorie’s Review



Well, well, well... Wasn't that was a huge surprise!?!?!

Not what I was expecting but definitely what I WANTED. I'm so glad I took a chance on this one! The blurb isn't overly intriguing so I thought hey I'll get a nice little underground fighter story with a bit of hotness, right? Nope... Not close... Not even a little bit..... I got something much much better!

So... here's the thing about underground fighter books. I don’t want fluffy and sweet. I want to be pulled in and feel the rawness and scrappiness of it all. These fighters aren't nice guys. I want to see their sharp edges and feel their sting. They are full of themselves. I want to picture the old school worn down gym. I want to see the rough asshole personality. Guess what? Kelley gave me ALL OF THAT! Right down to the old school bare basics gym! I couldn’t believe it.

I am surprised at how much I loved this one. I was just glued to my Kindle. I loved that this wasn't a light and fluffy read. It has depth, and it's a bit gritty.

Is it possible for a guy to be romantic while dirty talk is coming from his mouth? If you said no, well you obviously haven't met Declan Whitmore yet…..




Declan is the tatted sexy fighter with a dirty mouth. Savannah is the fiery little thing that can’t weigh more than 95 pounds soaking wet. In an attempt to get her life back on track, Savannah has sworn off men let alone relationships. Declan has sworn off relationships, but not women which doesn’t bode well for Savannah. The big fighter and the sassy little kitten go head to head when Declan hires Savannah to work at his gym.

“Are you sure you’ve never wooed a girl before? You’re very good at it.

I’m not trying to woo you. I’m trying to ruin you for all others.”

Declan pursues her, but Savannah constantly pushes back. There’s something different about Savannah. Declan has a soft spot for her, and it’s more than just wanting to get into her pants. He’s not about to give up on this one. Savannah doesn’t have the most stellar past, and she’s afraid that if Declan finds out he won’t see the Savannah standing in front of him but the girl she once was. The guy that doesn’t do relationships is ready to jump in, but is the girl ready to jump with him?

“Please don’t’ write me off without giving me a chance. The world’s not gonna end if you let me in.”

Declan and Savannah are such fabulous characters. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM!!! Savannah is one of the best heroines I’ve read. She’s a spitfire to say the least. She’s sassy and feisty and makes Declan work for it. I’m mushy pile of goo over Declan, too. I love the fact that even though he’s whipped by Savannah, he hasn’t lost his somewhat dirty mouth when he talks to her. The banter between the pair is perfect. I couldn’t help but laugh out loud… A LOT. Plus, dual POV is my absolute favorite to read and the internal dialogue these two have (especially Declan) is priceless. I swear the highlight function on my Kindle was broken by the time I finished.

“Declan’s not like most guys. He has no problem articulating anything he’s feeling with that beautiful mouth of his. It’s both a blessing and a curse, because sweet baby Jesus are the things that come out of it hot, and damn it if it isnt’ part of why I’m even in this mess to begin with.”

I love the writing style. It's clever and witty. It kept my attention. Better than that… it hooked me right from the start. The way Kelley describes things is pinpoint on for each character's POV. The tougher side of Boston shows in the character dialogue. I really picture these characters smack dab in the middle of Southie.

Now about that cover……. I’ll be honest, the cover is important to me. I know, I know! It shouldn’t matter but I’m human and I just happen to like hot covers. So, yah the cover kicks some ass. I’m really glad Kelley decided to update it. The new cover gives the rough and gritty feel that plays into the story. And, don’t even get me started on the promo pics. After seeing them, I was seriously tripping over myself to get the book loaded on my Kindle as fast as possible.

I really wanted an epilogue though. Unless they are coming back in a future book??? Maybe? Yes? Well, Kelly tells me YES! Wooohoo! (insert sing-song voice….) There’s going to be a novella featuring Declan and Savannah. I really loved this couple and can’t wait for more! Oh, and there’s definitely more… Kelly has plans for other characters in Down and Out, too.


Purchase Link

Amazon International


Author  Bio

Kelley lives in East Texas, but she swears it's not all country music and cowboy boots... Okay, some of it is, but not all of it. She's got an amazing husband, who continues to inspire her every day. Even after twelve years and two ridiculously cute little girls.

Author Website:

Author Facebook:

Author Twitter:

No comments:

Post a Comment