Thursday, August 28, 2014

You Loved Me At My Darkest by Evie Harper

you loved me at my darkest

Title: You Loved Me At My Darkest (You Loved Me, #1)

Author: Evie Harper

Genre: Dark Erotica

Release Date: August 28, 2014

Rating:

3.5 stars

add to gr

Synopsis

Lily
Ripped from Heaven, Burned in Hell.
Caught and caged in beauty.
Beauty comes at a cost.
One man holds the key to our survival, to our freedom.
Find out how I lived and lost the greatest thing on earth.
Love.
Jake
I didn't see her coming and that will be my downfall.
She will ruin me, take everything from me, and give me everything I can't have.
I can't help her. I won't.
She is innocence. She is strength.
She is my piece of heaven in hell.

Lorie’s Review

I was really excited to read this one. The blurb is so intriguing with tons of potential. The story could have gone just about anywhere with how vague it is. And, that’s what had me anxious to read it – the possibilities and the unknown. While this one didn’t get under my skin and have me totally and thoroughly enthralled, I did have a hard time putting it down.

With not much to go on, I was dying for some kind of hint as to the storyline. Well, You Loved Me At My Darkest turns out to be another kidnap/sex slave story. My first thought … hmmmm, not sure how I feel about that. While I love dark books that deal with the sex trade, I didn’t want this to turn out to be like the similar stories we’ve seen lately.

“I could, but I won’t. I won’t save you, or anyone else.”

Evie Harper did change it up a bit so it's not like every other sex slave story. I’ve read enough of these that I did figure out early on where the story was ultimately headed – there aren’t many untraveled roads when it comes to these stories. Taking a road already travelled isn't necessarily bad as long as the writing and characters can utterly capture me and my heart. So which road did she take? The beaten path or the road less travelled? I’m not telling. But I can say I ENJOYED THIS STORY, I just wasn’t drowning in it.

“The remaining parts of my heart are broken pieces of glass with sharp edges, and I dare any one to come near it. I will make sure it cuts them.”

I wanted dark and gritty tension. The Prologue eluded to the fact that’s what I’d be getting but that feeling didn’t carry through the entire book. That tempestuousness and ominous feeling I crave with a dark read never really came out. I wanted to be uncomfortable, squirming in my seat, and reading with one eye open. I never really felt afraid for Lily or that she was truly ever in grave danger. I was on the edge of my seat because I wanted to know how it all played out but not out of fear or anticipation.

“I will run to the ends of the earth to escape him. God will have given me a man I may one day love, but could never be with.”

Overall, this is not very dark. For being about the sex trade, surprisingly, actual events of the trade weren’t as much a part of the story as I had expected. The focus is on the relationship between Lily and her captor. I really enjoyed this from the “romance” standpoint. I just wish there was more of a balance between the relationship and the trade to bring in more of the dark I was craving. For me, it really comes down to darkness and that’s what was missing for me. But, please remember I like books so dark that you need a flashlight to even see the words. Once again…. I enjoyed this story, I just wanted more.

If you're looking to dip your foot in the dark pool and want to try a kidnap/sex slave story, I'd recommend this as a good place to start. The story is great as is the writing. For the hardcore dark read fans, you'll probably still enjoy this one for the "romance" behind it or if you want something “tinted”.

 

Purchase Link

Buy From Amazon

AUTHOR BIO

Evie Harper is an Aussie girl who has always been in love with reading. She decided to try her hand at writing and found it addictive and inspirational.

You Loved Me At My Darkest is Evie's debut novel. It is a stand-alone with two companion novels to follow:

You Loved Me At My Weakest
You Loved Me At My Ugliest

You Loved Me series are dark romance stories and are only recommended for readers 18+ due to mature content.

AUTHOR LINKS

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evie-Harper-Author/647660445316351

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/8276648.Evie_Harper

Website: http://evieharperauthor.wix.com/evieharper

Twitter: https://twitter.com/evieharper_auth

 

Giveaway

The author is giving away a $25 Amazon Giftcard.  For your chance to win, just enter the Rafflecopter below and Good Luck!!

a Rafflecopter giveaway

No comments:

Post a Comment