Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Precarious by Bella Jewel ~ New Review

precarious bella jewel

Title: Precarious: Jokers' Wrath MC (Book One)

Author: Bella Jewel

Genre: Biker Romance

Publication Date: August 4, 2014

Rating:

3 stars

add to gr

Synopsis

In darkness, we find danger. In danger, I find Beau.

Ash is a prison guard, she's tough, she's strong and she never backs away from a fight. She takes her job seriously, she takes her training seriously, and everything in her life goes as planned.

Until the day he is brought into the prison.

She'll never forget meeting Beau 'Krypt' Dawson for the first time. She'll never forget his haunted eyes and his numb expression. He's a member of the Jokers Wrath MC and it is said he killed an innocent family in the middle of a cafe, in cold blood.

Deranged. Crazy. Psychotic.

All those words describe the infamous Krypt, but Ash suspects there's far more to the quiet man than meets the eye. Secrets are being hidden by the club, information is being kept under wraps. Krypt is silent for a reason.

Ash is desperate to know that reason.

Continually fighting, Krypt is transferred to a high security prison. Ash is in charge. She's always prepared, always alert. Not even her skills will stop the club from ambushing them and taking back Krypt. Only Ash ends up right in the middle of it.

They take her, too.

Now she's stuck with a Motorcycle Club who are tougher than any prisoner she's ever laid eyes on. And they won't let her go. She's too much of a risk. Until the situation can be sorted, they send her and Krypt into the mountains together....alone.

An epic, dangerous love will be built on the foundations of darkness.

 

Lisa’s Review

 

3 Stars

“In darkness we find danger….”

 

image

 

Precarious is book one in Bella Jewel’s new biker series entitled Jokers’ Wrath MC. I am a huge fan of this author, particularly her previous biker series (The MC Sinners). I connect with Ms. Jewel’s writing style and always fall hard for her hard-edged and raw alpha heroes. In this book we are taken into a dark, dangerous and intriguing biker world. These men do not form part of a do-good biker club out to change the world for the better. Nope. These men are ruthless criminals and they are deadly.

“I hear you’re feisty,” he murmurs, letting his gaze travel down my body. “I like them like that.”

I shiver. Oh boy. I straighten and uncross my arms. “Good for you. I like mine outside a cell.”

Ash is as strong as she is feisty. Her no holds barred attitude and strength serve her well as she is one of the few female prison guards working in a maximum security prison. Ash takes her job seriously and treats the prisoners with respect and caution. She is good at her job and takes pride in that. When Beau Dawson (a.k.a. Krypt) is brought into the prison on murder charges Ash can’t help but be intrigued by the eerily quiet and intense man. He is Vice President of the Jokers’ Wrath MC and is being accused of murdering a family in cold blood. The man that Ash sees day in and day out in his prison cell is full of anger but there is much more lurking beneath his rough and gritty exterior. When Beau is transferred to another prison all goes to hell in a hand basket when the transfer vehicle is attacked. Ash soon finds herself a prisoner of the Jokers’ Wrath MC. Ash is now in the middle of a deadly war as she is thrust into the complex and dangerous biker world. As secrets are revealed and more comes out into the open, she discovers that not all the players are who she expected and the man who she thought was threatening her life is now consuming her mind and body as he tries to make her his.

“I’m fucking keepin’ you, Ash. Because there is no way I can go through my life without feeling that kind of intensity again.”

I really enjoyed reading this book and love the biker world that Bella Jewel has created. She did so many things right in this book, from the crazy and corrupt underworld to the intensity of Krypt’s and Ash’s relationship. Ash is thrust into a violent war between rival biker gangs. Throw in numerous corrupt players who are pawns in this deadly game to claim more territory and what you get is a purposefully intense and gritty plot that had me nervous hoping that all would turn out well. Plus, it didn’t hurt that there were quite a number of seriously hot scenes. Krypt and Ash have a powerful connection and share some sizzling hot sexy times. Damn!

While I truly loved the bigger story arc that this author has penned, there were quite a number of things in this book that irked me and prevented me from giving a higher rating. Let me elaborate further….

1. I liked Ash as a character but one thing that I believe did not pan out for me was the fact that she would even fall for someone like Krypt in the first place. This is a woman who has a job that is to uphold the law. Obviously she has high moral standards and is a law abiding citizen. Krypt is a criminal. End of story. I did not buy into the fact that she would have issues being with Krypt because she did not want to be an old lady and someone’s possession but the fact that Krypt and his fellow biker brothers break the law is absolutely fine with her? Not sure that made sense to me.

2. Penny. Without giving too much away, she is someone from Krypt’s past. Her introduction into the storyline seemed superfluous and unnecessary to me. It was like she was introduced just to add some extra drama. Further, the way that Krypt dealt with Penny’s presence and having Ash in his life was just wrong. He was an ass of epic proportions and I am not sure I have completely forgiven him. He made some irreparable mistakes and by the end he simply did not redeem himself in my eyes.

3. The biggest problem I had with this book happened near the end. Bella Jewel throws in a scene that I felt came straight out of left field. I was left thinking “what the fuckity fuck did I just read????” It just did not fit with Krypt’s character to allow something like that to happen and it made Ash out to be a really big whore-bag. I like my books hot and steamy and am all for copious amounts of sexy times; however, this particular scene simply did not fit. I am suspecting that the author’s decision to go with this scene was for it to be used as a catalyst for the next book. Even if this is the case, for me it was the wrong move. It really put a damper on the relationship between Ash and Krypt for me.

All in all, I truly did enjoy reading Precarious. I just wish that Bella Jewel had chosen some other plot devices that made more sense (at least in my mind). I will be reading the next book. Like I indicated before, I love Bella Jewel books and I am very much looking forward to Maddox and Santana’s story which is up next and will be released September 15, 2014.

 

image

 

Purchase Link

amazon

 

 

 

About the Author

Bella Jewel is an Aussie girl through and through. She spent her life in Western Australia, growing up in many different areas of the state. She now currently lives in Perth with her husband, children and mass amounts of pets. She's crazy, fun, outgoing and friendly. Writing is her passion, she started at the young age of 18 but finally got the courage up to publish, and her first novel Hell's Knights was released in August 2013.

Author Social Media Links

Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Author-Bella-Jewel/513907282000951

Website: http://authorbellajewel.wix.com/bella-jewel

Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7178194.Bella_Jewel

 

 

 

Check out more of Bella's work

The MC Sinners | Criminals of the Ocean | Rebels on Bikes | Number Thirteen | Life After Taylah | Wingman

No comments:

Post a Comment