Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Bang by E.K. Blair ~ New Review and Excerpt

BANG COVER

Title: Bang (Black Lotus, #1)

Author: E.K. Blair

Genre: Psychosexual Thriller

Release Date: May 19, 2014

Rating:

5 stars blog

add to gr

Synopsis

They say when you take revenge against another you lose a part of your innocence.
But I’m not innocent.
I haven’t been for a very long time.
My innocence was stolen from me. Taken was the life I was supposed to have. The soul I was born with. The ruby heart embedded in a life full of hopes and dreams.
Gone.
Vanished.
I never even had a choice.
I mourn that life. Mourn the what-ifs.
Until now.
I’m ready to take back what was always meant to be mine.
But every plan has a fatal flaw. Sometimes it’s the heart.
**Due to the dark and explicit nature of this book, it is recommended for mature audiences only as some scenes may be particularly disturbing.**

 

Trailer

 

 

Becs’ Review

Bang casting

 

Oh, Holy Fuck!!

 

Talk about blown away and traumatised!!  This is actually my first read by EK Blair and I was really keen to try her work I don’t think anything could have prepared me for how profoundly this book affected me.  It was totally not what I was expecting but that’s not a bad thing – very few books have the ability to grip and consume me quite like this one and to truly shock me.  And this one’s a shocker!!  It’s bold, it’s brave and it’s completely addictive.  Once you’ve begun, it’s almost impossible to put it down.

 

I finished it late at night with that final, devastating word echoing in my head – traumatised, bewildered and really rather shocked. I attempted to sleep but this stalked my dreams, refusing to release it’s hold on me.  Even now, days later, it’s resonating loud and clear in my imagination.  Bang is not easily forgotten!  It’s a dark and twisted and very challenging tale of revenge and hatred,  Everyone here is either being played or is a player and nothing and no one is what they seem to be and everything is shrouded in intrigue.

 

I strongly believe that it’s very important to experience this book just as the author intends so I’ll keep the summary very brief.  You really need to go in blind and just let the whole experience take you and lead you far down a very dark path with nothing to guide you.  You don’t read this book – you experience it!

 

We start with Nina, beautiful wife of Bennett, a very rich and successful businessman.  They’ve been married for a few short years and Bennett is a loving, attentive and caring husband.  We also have Declan, a deliciously kinky Scotsman and business associate of Bennett and also Pike, a man from Nina’s past.  Nina has an agenda, a darkly twisted plan for vengeance that is slowly revealed as the story progresses.

 

I was able to feel really very strong sympathy for all four main characters.  These are all good people but they are all victims of circumstance.  None of them deserves the pain and agony that EK Blair unleashes upon them and part of the trauma of reading this book is the shocking chain of events set in motion by Nina’s ill-conceived plan – everyone here is undeserving of their fate.  Nina is a woman completely destroyed by her awful past and it’s easy to understand her motives even if you think they’re wrong.  Not many who’ve endured what she has would even be sane today.  Is Nina sane?  I’ll leave you to mull that one over once you’ve finished the book.

 

So, the story is told in a dual timeline – the present and the past.  It’s not clear how these two lines converge and set Nina on her destructive path for a long time but each story is wholly compelling.  Each time EK Blair left the past and returned to the present, I really wanted to stay to learn more and vice versa.  I found myself galloping through these plotlines with horror as the story unfolds.  Nina’s past is a dark and harrowing place full of extreme sadness and horror and abuse with Pike being the only light in a dark world for her.  He was her shining beacon, her only hope and it’s not hard to understand the strong loyalty she feels towards him.  I was completely unable to put this down as Nina’s past is revealed in agonising, poignant, heart-breaking detail.

 

And now, in the present, as a reader, I found myself experiencing a bad case of divided loyalties.  I fully understood the bitterness and resentment that consumes Nina but her intended victims were all good people that I found myself also adoring and, as the plot hurtles towards its devastating conclusion, the word Nooooo screamed long and hard in my head.

 

It’s a really brave story line from EK Blair, treading a path very few authors dare to take, and I don’t think many books that I read this year will be able to shock be quite like Bang did.  it’s a dark and destructive story of vengeance from a woman consumed by hatred, resentment and bitterness – a woman who is closed off to all positive emotions that she can’t see true love, her one true chance of salvation, when it’s standing right in front of her.

 

Nina does really bad things to really good people and it;s conflicting experience to read this book – at once I felt deep sympathy and utter revulsion for her and shuddered at how she set her dastardly plan in motion. There are two more books planned for this series and the synopsis for book two isn’t even available yet.  I tried to get it out of the author but she resolutely refused.  Authors can be so evil!  It’s hard to see where the story goes from here – any chance of happiness for any of these people seems to have been destroyed by the cataclysmic events of the last few chapters.

 

So, for an utterly consuming yet deeply shocking read, I can highly recommend Bang but all I can say is – BE PREPARED!

 

5 deeply shocking stars

 

Bang Collage

 

Purchase Links

Amazon US - http://amzn.to/1nvmKWl
Amazon UK - http://amzn.to/1mODdRC
Amazon CA - http://amzn.to/1sgA6Dp
Amazon AUS - http://bit.ly/1gpVdhl

 

Excerpt

 

He thinks, in this moment, that we’re making love. He fills me slowly as I lie beneath him. Arms laced around his neck. Legs spread open wide, inviting him in deeper as he makes a meal out of my tits. He believes everything I want him to. He always has. But this is merely a game for me. A game he foolishly has fallen into. He never questions my love for him, and now my body writhes underneath his and moans in mock pleasure as he comes hard, jerking his hips into me, telling me how much he loves me, and I give his words right back.

“God, I love you so much,” I pant.

His head is nestled in the yoke of my neck as he tries to calm his breathing, and when he lifts up, I run my fingers through his hair and over his damp scalp as he looks into my eyes.

“You’re so stunning like this.”

“Like what?” I question softly.

“Sated.”


Idiot.

 

About The Author

 

bioPicUSA Today bestselling author and International Amazon bestselling author, E.K. Blair takes her readers on an emotional roller coaster with her FADING series. A former first grade teacher with an imagination that runs wild. Daydreaming and zoning out is how she was often found in high school. Blair tends to drift towards everything dark and moody. Give her a character and she will take pleasure in breaking them down, digging into their core to find what lies underneath.

Aside from writing, E.K. Blair finds pleasure in music, drinking her Starbucks in peace, and spending time with her friends. She's a thinker, an artist, a wife, a mom, and everything in between.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/EKBlairAuthor

Twitter: @EK_Blair_Author  or  https://twitter.com/EK_Blair_Author

Website: http://www.ekblair.com

No comments:

Post a Comment