Thursday, February 20, 2014

Undone by Rebecca Shea ~ Release Day Review

Undone-RebeccaShea-high

Title: Undone (Unbreakable, #2)

Author: Rebecca Shea

Genre: Contemporary Romance

Release Date: February 20 2014

goodreads-badge-add-plus grey

Synopsis


I’ve found it’s easier to share my body but not my soul. I need no one, yet I crave her.
Self-assured and independent, she doesn’t need me—but she wants me, and undeniably I want her too. At war with myself as I battle the secrets of my past, I don’t know if I can allow her to see the darkest parts of me, the parts I’ve left untouched—undone.


As she chips away at the walls I’ve built for years, I fear those secrets will hold me hostage from love—forever.

Companion to "Unbreakable" -- Landon's story
**This book is a Contemporary Romance and contains mature subject matter.It is not intended for those under 17 years of age.**

Trailer

 

 

undone character casting

 

Becs’ Review

 

Undone is the second book in Rebecca Shea’s Unbreakable series.  Although we first met Landon back in book one, Unbreakable, this one works perfectly well as a standalone and it’s not necessary to have read Unbreakable first.  Although, I can highly recommend it as an excellent read!

 

Undone is Landon’s story – he’s the highly delicious, inked cop that we first met back in Unbreakable, Jess’s story.  I got the impression that he was only meant to be a background character but somehow he just developed a life of his own and I knew I was left wanting his story after reading Unbreakable.  There’s just a few hints, a few little teasers about his traumatic past and his intense loneliness to leave me wanting more and I’m so glad that we finally now have his story.

 

Landon works had as a cop with his partner, Matt.  He has ambitions to work as a detective and he plays as hard as he works.  He goes through women like a hot knife through butter, never sleeping with the same one twice and certainly never allowing them to kiss him on the lips.  He’s a total manwhore but it’s plain to see that this seemingly tough, singular man is in fact burying his emotional pain in one casual one night stand after another.  He believes that seeing a woman more than once will just complicate things, he feels nothing for them and never emotionally connects with them.  That is until he meets Reagan!

 

I don’t know what the fuck just happened, but I think I may have my hands full with this woman—and for the first time ever, I think I’m ready.

 

Reagan, although actually an OB/GYN doc is working a couple of shifts in her Uncle’s bar when Landon and Matt are called to a disturbance there and Landon takes one look and he knows he has to have her.  BUT, he finds he likes her a little too much to just take her home for one night and discard her and they start to develop a beautiful friendship.

 

I so enjoyed this dysfunctional couple – Reagan, at first appearances, seems to be feisty and confident but getting to know her better reveals her vulnerability and insecurities.  She’s also has sadness in her past causing her to be mistrustful and wary of being let down but the darkness in her past pales in comparison to Landon’s.

 

Landon has another very important relationship in his life – with his younger sister Lindsay.  They have shared an awful childhood of abuse and abandonment and Landon is and always has been fiercely protective of her.  They have a beautiful relationship which really does show that Landon is capable of love, whatever he may think.  But, their past is just awful.  Landon is really quite cagey about this, and only slowly reveals the full extent of it to Reagan but, when he does, it’s incredibly emotional. Nobody should have to endure what they endured and it really did make my eyes well up – these two kids really did seem to have been abandoned by society, by the community around them and Landon is so damaged by his experienced, it made my heart hurt.  No wonder he is mistrustful of fully connecting to someone, fully trusting them and allowing them in – he’s terrified of the pain of abandonment and won’t allow anyone one close enough to hurt him like that again.

 

Of course, Landon’s rules about only sleeping with a woman once and Reagan’s refusal to sleep with him on a first date leads to a very angsty journey for these two.  I’m never happier than when an author is heaping misery and angst on our central characters and Rebecca Shea does this so well.  They develop a beautiful friendship and genuine feelings for one another but are so very scared to take the next step – Reagan because she fears Landon will just walk away from her and Landon because he is scared of his developing feelings for her.

 

“I’m going to break my rules for you, Reagan,” I whisper in her ear. “Rule number one. I never fuck the same woman twice. Rule number two. I don’t kiss women,” I say, pressing a gentle kiss to the side of her cheek. I turn her around gently by the shoulders, positioning her in front of me. With the tilt of her chin, I kiss her. Softly and gently, I kiss her, succumbing to the feel of her soft lips on mine.

 

This was yet another emotionally intense and very sexy romance from Rebecca Shea proving that Unbreakable was no fluke, no flash in the pan.  With Undone, she’s showing everyone that she’s a force to be reckoned within the romance genre and she definitely proves her mettle with this one.  It’s a soulful, compelling read that really did have me turning the pages at an incredible rate – I just had to know what was going to happen next, what was around the corner for this couple.  I rooted for them, so desperately wanted them to shed those cast-iron emotional defences, especially Landon, and just wake up and see what they have, what they share and grasp the happiness they both so richly deserve and just run with it.

 

undone quote

 

This is a powerful story of love and how that love can heal and save an apparently broken man.  Landon’s story will make your heart hurt as the full atrocity of his past is fully unveiled and Reagan’s willingness to fight for him, to stand by him really does mend his broken heart.  It’s a beautiful thing.  Of course, there’s plenty of ups and downs for this couple throughout the novel and a couple of real shocking, dramatic moments – just the way I like it.  It’s a page-turner and it’s another heartbreaking romance from Rebecca Shea!

 

4.5 stars

 

Series Reading Order

  1. Unbreakable
  2. Undone
  3. Unforgiven – release date TBC


 

About The Author

 

BeccanewRebecca Shea is the USA Today Bestselling author of Unbreakable. She lives in Phoenix, Arizona with her family and her beagle, Miles. From the time Rebecca could read she has had a passion for books. Rebecca spends her days working full-time and her nights writing, bringing stories to life. Born and raised in Minnesota, Rebecca moved to Arizona in 1999 to escape the bitter winters. When not working or writing, she can be found on the sidelines of her sons football games, or watching her daughter at ballet class. Rebecca is fueled by insane amounts of coffee, margaritas, Laffy Taffy (except the banana ones), and happily ever afters.

FacebookTwitterWebsite

 

1 comment: