Thursday, February 13, 2014

Transcendence by Shay Savage: Pre-Release Review

transcendence

Title: Transcendence

Author: Shay Savage

Genre: Contemporary Romance

Release Date: February 14 2014

goodreads-badge-add-plus grey

Synopsis

It’s said that women and men are from two different planets when it comes to communication, but how can they overcome the obstacles of prehistoric times when one of them simply doesn’t have the ability to comprehend language?


Ehd’s a caveman living on his own in a harsh wilderness. He’s strong and intelligent, but completely alone. When he finds a beautiful young woman in his pit trap, it’s obvious to him that she is meant to be his mate. He doesn’t know where she came from; she’s wearing some pretty odd clothing, and she makes a lot of noises with her mouth that give him a headache. Still, he’s determined to fulfill his purpose in life – provide for her, protect her, and put a baby in her.


Elizabeth doesn’t know where she is or exactly how she got there. She’s confused and distressed by her predicament, and there’s a caveman hauling her back to his cavehome. She’s not at all interested in Ehd’s primitive advances, and she just can’t seem to get him to listen. No matter what she tries, getting her point across to this primitive, but beautiful, man is a constant – and often hilarious – struggle.


With only each other for company, they must rely on one another to fight the dangers of the wild and prepare for the winter months. As they struggle to coexist, theirs becomes a love story that transcends language and time.

 

Lisa’s Review

 

5 "MELT MY HEART" STARS!

tran·scend·ence

/tranˈsendəns/

noun

  1. Existence or experience beyond the normal or physical level.

transcendence 1

Transcendence by Shay Savage will likely go down as one of the more unique and delightfully heart-warming books that I have ever read. This book will also be one of those books that stays with me….forever. As I finished the book I was sobbing because my heart was so profoundly touched. Ms. Savage has created a story that not only captured an epic and beautiful journey of love, but she also wrote a tale that resonated deeply with my heart. I laughed. I cried. I sighed. I swooned. But, most of all, I was completely enthralled with this story that captures what true love is all about and how it can overcome any difference and hurdle. Even such differences that transcend across time….

Transcendence tells the story of Ehd, a caveman in prehistoric times living on his own since the death of his entire tribe, who discovers a woman in strange clothing in one of his pit traps. Upon this amazing encounter, Ehd is certain that this beautiful young woman is his destined mate. She may be wearing strange clothing and makes constant weird noises that give him a headache, but Ehd is determined to keep her. He wants nothing more than to protect and provide for his mate. That has now become Ehd’s purpose in life, one that he will happily fulfill. Oh…and to also put a baby in the belly of his new mate. Again, he will happily go about accomplishing his new duties.

 

transcendence 2

I want her; I know I do. It is far beyond not wanting to be alone anymore. I want her – only her. I will do anything to make Beh mine.

***

Does she like that, having her lips touched? Does she like having her mouth touch mine?

Do I?

Yes. Yes, I do.

***

My mate is serious about this bathing thing. I don’t like it. Not at all.

Elizabeth (called “Beh” by our lovely caveman) suddenly finds herself in prehistoric times, the Paleolithic Era to be exact, with no recollection as to how she got there. She is terrified and completely out of her element not fully understanding how she ended up staring into the beautiful green eyes of a caveman with messy reddish-brown hair. Beh soon finds herself being hauled to a cave which she assumes is the home of her caveman rescuer. Her attempts at communication are met with confusion as it suddenly seems like Mr. Caveman is now willing to happily play house with her.

As Edh and Beh slowly begin to work together and start to communicate in their own way, they learn how to live harmoniously as they prepare for the upcoming winter months. They struggle to comprehend one another but the beauty of this entire story is in their inability to communicate using modern language. Ehd strains to grasp Beh’s ways of thinking and doing things and their constant misunderstandings provide for some hilarious and also tender moments between the pair. However, with all this being said, Ehd and Beh somehow push past all that sets them apart from one another and actually learn from each other. Their relationship becomes so much more than a simple coexistence to survive. In this simplistic and primitive world where Ehd and Beh’s focus can only be on survival and on one another and their family, their story becomes one of profound love and acceptance that simply transcends all understanding.

 

transcendence 3

 

transcendence 4

 

This entire novel is told from Ehd’s point of view. I will admit that when I first commenced the book, I was a little unsure as to how this author was going to pull it off. I mean, how can a whole book be written in a way where there is such limited dialogue and the only point of view is that of a caveman without language? I am now a believer in Shay Savage’s brilliance as an author. She has truly written literary perfection. The lack of any real dialogues and verbal exchanges is ingenious. For me, it was made this book truly unique and special. I was literally held captive from the moment I opened the first page on my kindle. Ehd’s unsophisticated nature and innocent demeanor won me over immediately. Being inside his head, experiencing his frustrations and eventually deep love for his mate was a truly moving journey that had me clutching at my heart by the end. I loved the fact that because there was no verbal communication between Ehd and Beh and they had to learn how to understand each other’s body language and expressions, everything written in this book is methodically constructed in such a way to effectively show the reader what was required for them to understand. Pure genius!

All in all, Transcendence is an unbelievably touching love story about a primitive man with only the desire to please, protect and love his mate and care for their family and a woman who sacrifices it all to experience such undying devotion. I simply am unable to express in words how much I adored this book. A story about overcoming insurmountable obstacles with the power of love that is brilliantly written. It was amazing. It was all kinds of awesome. And, it is an example of why I am a hardcore reader. Books such as this take me away and take a hold of my heart in such a profoundly moving way that I am left breathless.

 

transcendence 5

 

About The Author

 


dedc5d_eaaaece2e9ce79a59cc59865603afd37.png_srz_341_341_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srz

Shay Savage lives in Cincinnati, Ohio with her husband, two children, and a variety of household pets.  She is an accomplished public speaker, and holds the rank of Distinguished Toastmaster from Toastmasters International.  When not writing, she enjoys science fiction movies, and loves soccer in any and all forms.  During the fall, she coaches her daughter’s soccer team.  Though she currently works in the technology field, her school background is in psychology, and she brings a lot of that knowledge into the characters within her stories.

Connect with the Author ~ WebsiteGoodreadsTwitterFacebook

3 comments: