Thursday, January 30, 2014

Sweet Rome by Tillie Cole: Release Day Review

Sweet Rome - Tillie Cole

Title: Sweet Rome (Sweet Home, #2)

Authors: Tillie Cole

Genre: New Adult Romance

Release Date: January 30, 2014

goodreads-badge-add-plus grey

Synopsis

You met Romeo Prince in the Amazon & USA Today bestselling novel, Sweet Home. Now hear the story from his lips: unbarred, uncensored and raw to the bone.


It makes me laugh when I hear that folk think Mol and I rushed into it too fast, spouting that we couldn't possibly have felt what we did for each other in such a short space of time. I say, how the hell would they know? We made it, didn't we? She became my whole life, didn't she? And as for my folks not being real, being true? Tell that to me aged ten, eleven, twelve — damn, all my bastard life — when I was never enough, when I was beaten until I bled for being too good at football and not being everything they'd dreamed: the perfectly dutiful son. Tell that to thousands of kids around the world getting wailed on by asshole parents for whatever stupid reason; tell them that evil don't exist in their eyes.

Fuck Romeo and Juliet: this is the story of me and my girl, from my lips. No mushy sentiment, no cheese, just the plain, hard truth, and, because I'm feeling generous, I'm going to let you in on more of our story too.


Sweet Rome is a New Adult Companion Novel to Sweet Home — contains adult content, sexual situations and mature topics. Suited for ages 18 and up

 

 

Lisa’s Review

 

4.5 "My Sweet Romeo" Stars

 

“According to C.S. Lewis the greatest form of love is unconditional love. It is argued that this love is the strongest one can express toward another person and it survives no matter any life change or circumstance. It is pure and untainted and will never be shaken or taken.”

clip_image002

Sweet Rome by Tillie Cole is the follow up book to Sweet Home told from the different point of view of Romeo Prince and is also the second book in her Sweet Home series. I would not recommend reading this book without reading Sweet Home first as this book essentially tells the same story but from a different point of view. I am not usually a huge fan of when authors decide to write the same story but from another character’s perspective. With this being said, I loved this book. It was absolutely wonderful being inside the head of the swoon-worthy Romeo Prince and it only served to solidify my unending adoration for the intense football superstar.

“We were both tragic, both pretty fucked up. But we could be fucked up together, balance it out.”

Like Sweet Home, this book is once again a sweet, loosely adapted modern day retelling of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet. Except, this time, we get it all from the heart and the mind of Romeo Prince. His life gets turned inside out when he meets a shy and introverted English girl, Molly Shakespeare. The lonely quarterback hiding behind the fa├žade of meaningless sex and intense anger issues is stopped in his tracks by a beautiful nerdy girl who has no idea just who he is to the University of Alabama nor does she care that he is the star quarterback for the University of Alabama Crimson Tide. For the first time in a very long while, Rome meets someone who sees him for him and does not want a piece of his fame, status or whatever they think he is offering.

clip_image004

clip_image006

As Rome and Molly begin to connect and open up about themselves, this lovely and romantic tale is not simply about college aged star-crossed lovers. It goes deeper than that. Both Rome and Molly feel so alone and when they enter into each other’s lives, that loneliness is eradicated. They find the other half of their soul. For Rome, Molly becomes the one person who grounds him and stops him from acting out. The odds are against them and they have many hurdles to overcome, but when you find something so beautifully profound you fight and hang on with a death grip.

Having this story told from Rome’s point of view was wonderful. Rome is a powerful character who has endured so much in his life. To get his inner thoughts and to see how deeply he feels for Molly was breathtaking. Both Sweet Home and Sweet Rome are books for the romantic at heart. This is a tale that will having you sighing and give you butterflies in your stomach. Two individuals whose worlds are irrevocably changed. They overcome. They conquer. They relish in the sweet victory.

clip_image008

“I like who I am with her, I hate the man I was before.”

***

Romeo below Juliet’s balcony…Fuck me. Sideways.

Reaching down to my junk, I checked my balls were still there…

***

“I like the way you are with me. I like me when I’m with you. I feel like I could tell you anything, that I could bear my fuckin’ black soul. You make me feel… well… you know… You get me?”

All in all, Sweet Rome is definitely worth the read. For me, it was a more profound book than Sweet Home simply because you get to experience Rome and Molly’s story from Rome’s point of view. You feel his desperation. You feel how isolated he was and his anger. And, most of all, you feel his love for Molly. You get quite a few different scenes in this book that simply serve to solidify just how beautiful and touching this love story truly is. I loved it! I will be anxiously awaiting the next book in this series which is about two characters that we meet in the first two books.

clip_image010

 

Series Reading Order

  1. Sweet Home
  2. Sweet Rome

 

About The Author

Tillie Cole Author PicTillie Cole is a Northern girl through and through. She originates from a place called Teesside on that little but awesomely sunny (okay I exaggerate) Isle called Great Britain. She was brought up surrounded by her English rose mother -- a farmer's daughter, her crazy Scottish father, a savagely sarcastic sister and a multitude of rescue animals and horses. Being a scary blend of Scottish and English, Tillie embraces both cultures; her English heritage through her love of HP sauce and freshly made Yorkshire Puddings, and her Scottish which is mostly demonstrated by her frighteningly foul-mouthed episodes of pure rage and her much loved dirty jokes.

Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads

 

1 comment: