Thursday, January 16, 2014

Out of Hiding by Mia Kerick ~ Review and Guest Post

OutofHiding ~ 13th January 2014

Title ~ Out of Hiding

Author ~ Mia Kerick

Publisher ~ Dreamspinner Press

Genre ~ M/M Romance

Released ~ 13th January 2014

Rating ~ 3 stars



After graduating from high school early, twenty-year-old Philippe Bergeron spent the past several years lost among the stars while fishing off the New England coast. A shoulder injury ends his dream of living reclusively on the water, and he finds himself lost among the bright lights of New York City. His older brother, Henri, has asked Philippe to chaperone his seventeen-year-old niece, Sophie, on her tours of the city's legendary dance programs.
Sophie meets with professional dancer and choreographer, Dario Pereira, to prepare a routine for her college auditions. Dario’s cool perfection and immaculate style contrast with Philippe’s awkward scruffiness, but it wakes desires Philippe thought he’d left behind. When the attraction is surprisingly returned, Dario’s confidence won’t let Philippe remain invisible. Unsure but curious, Philippe relaxes his rule of isolation, and as the summer progresses, his relationship with Dario leads him to a surprising discovery of his submissive sexual tendencies and a greater sense of self-awareness.
Tragedy threatens to destroy the connections Philippe has made and forces him to retreat into the shadows of his past, far from the radiance of Dario’s love. Ultimately, he must decide if it is time to stop hiding and set himself free.




Monique’s Review


You can’t help but fall in love with Philippe Bergeron, he is a character that will pull on every heart string imaginable. This is his story, told from his POV and I loved his voice, such a gentle, kind and compassionate character. A lost soul and emotionally damaged, still traumatised by his mothers death in his formative years when he had needed her the most. Philippe is an introvert, insular, at home and comfortable in the expanse of the ocean where he feels himself insignificant in the grand scheme of things, somewhere peaceful, where if he cannot deal with his fears and anxieties, he can at least manage them. The world for Philippe is a scary place, claustrophobic, full of people that intimidate him just through their presence, he wants to hide from it all and become invisible and that is exactly what he had been doing. Mentally he is not a strong character, naive at times and almost childlike in his reasoning and he wants to be alone, it meant not having to consider others His older brother and niece where part of his life but compartmentalised… and he could deal with that. But at the same time, he was incredibly lonely and I don’t think he actually realised this himself.

Spending the summer with Sophie In New York as her chaperone he finds the carefully constructed persona of invisibility start to crumble, he finds the love and affection he has for his niece makes him happy and New York wasn’t such a bad place after all, he could still be invisible amongst the many. But it was the very aloof and enigmatic Dario that finally sees into his darkest deepest fears and anxieties, sees past the image he projects of a scruffy, bearded hippy and Dario reaches in with his love to the frightened child within Philippe, the one that had never been able to let go of losing his mother.

Watching Philippe develop emotionally was quite beautiful, he drew strength from Dario gaining in confidence and finally embracing the love from his family, new friends and of course Dario, everything he had for so long shunned through fear, fear of losing those he loves. So when tragedy strikes and all the emotions of losing his mother return… Philippe shuts down.

Even though this touches on a D/s relationship between Dario and Philippe, for me there was still an innocence to it, It’s not your conventional D/s more of a need from Dario to control and Philippe’s need to be controlled, it is an inherent part of who they are and a balance that works perfectly for them. Whilst it is undeniable that Philippe has submissive tendencies, I have to admit I was not completely convinced with Dario, he was so young at twenty two but actually came across as much older, although I think that had a lot to do with the struggle he had with his own past, but for me the D/s part, pushing it further than just the need to control in this book didn’t quite work. There was also a lengthy build up to them actually getting together, with a detailed visit to ballet schools and the art of ballet itself. Their relationship also warranted a slower approach and I could understand that need to establish a background to Philippe and his relationship with Sophie his niece, and the reasoning behind his anxieties. Unfortunately in the beginning it left me skimming a bit as ballet is not something that interests me and I found myself just wanting to get on with it. I also wanted more from Dario, we found out so much about Philippe but very little about the mysterious man that I wanted to know more about… his need to control and the glimpse of darkness that we see in him… but to be fair, it did pick up for me in the second half of the book.

I think I should explain my reading preferences, I read a lot of BDSM novels and like dark, raw and gritty tales with plenty of angst, although I appreciate romance of any kind, as we all need that, for me, this novel is a stepping stone from the YA genre and I think that is Mia’s background, so for me personally the innocence of the writing and their relationship didn’t satisfy me. Now don’t get me wrong I loved the writing it is beautiful and so poetic at times, it was a delight to read and their love for each other undeniable, but it just didn’t have that hook for me. Now having said that my co-blogger Mark would have been in his element with this book, I am convinced of that, and I know there are so many others that would Love It, so whilst some of this book didn’t work for me… those are the very same reason’s it would work perfectly for another reader.


Purchase Links


1368856_224708431022409_258266102_n   1376001_224708434355742_287131193_n   twitter_icon_BN




Guest Post


Hello readers of Sinfully Sexy Books! This is one of my first guest blogs… I hope you find my words enlightening.

In Out of Hiding, my current release from Dreamspinner Press, Philippe Bergeron discovers that there is ultimate freedom in giving up control. Most especially, in the bedroom.

Let’s face it: Philippe is a troubled guy. His beloved mother passes away when he is a boy, already a shy introvert by nature, and he is never able to fully recover from the emotional loss or from the feeling of being noticed in a way he does not desire. (“See that kid over there—his mother croaked!”) Throughout his school years he puts the abundance of his energy into staying lost in the crowd; Philippe detests being singled out and stared at, as he was at the time when his mother passed away.

He is successful. Philippe hides very, very well.

After high school, Philippe’s trend toward seeking invisibility continues. He finds a job as a commercial fisherman and literally gets lost in the stars at night as he traverses the wide Atlantic. No friends, no lovers, very little contact with family… He controls his incapacitating fear of losing someone he loves by not loving anyone at all.

Things change when, due to an injury, scruffy, reclusive Philippe agrees to chaperone his 17-year-old niece, Sophie, on a summer dance exploration trip to New York City. There, he meets Dario Pereira, a seemingly perfect, and meticulously sophisticated dance teacher and choreographer.

Dario refuses to allow Philippe to remain invisible. He sees him in a way no one else does.

Dario’s dominance over Philippe immediately shows its face in their emotional relationship. He forces Philippe to explain himself, to make eye contact, and to discuss his feelings. Philippe is out of his league, for certain, but is somehow compelled to comply.

And Dario’s dominance continues in the bedroom.

NOT TO be crude, but I was as hard as a rock by the time I stuck the keycard into the door. I pushed it open, and Dario slammed it behind us. Then I was yanked into his arms.

“You... taste so... damned... good....” Dario somehow managed to say that between making a meal of my lips.

“Unghhh!” I agreed wholeheartedly with his sentiment, but that’s what came out.

“I want to taste the rest....” He pushed me backward until I fell onto the bed closest to the door. That’s when he made a proper three- course meal of me, starting with my lips and promptly moving south.

Somehow, Dario was able to strip me and kiss me without missing a beat. Our teeth never even banged together once. I lay beneath him, fully naked except for my beard, of course, and strangely, Dario did not seem at all interested in taking off his own clothes. I thought he might have liked the feeling of power he was experiencing from being covered while I was so exposed. He allowed all of his body weight to come down on top of me, driving my back into the soft bed.

And then he opened my mouth with his tongue and grunted against my lips, “Keep your mouth open... and wide.”

As I struggled to comply, he dove inside, his tongue reaching and stretching in his effort to learn every corner, every angle, of my mouth. And he swallowed each one of my gasps by sealing his lips tightly over mine. I got light-headed, almost dizzy, really, with the sensation of having my breath stolen away.

Dario’s hunger soon shifted its focus onto my beard. He tasted it, his tongue licking and then sucking hard enough that I felt the skin beneath my beard puckering up inside of his mouth. And honestly, I was totally into my passive role—for some reason I didn’t understand, or want to understand, I craved even more of his control. It just felt right. My chest was the next willing victim to Dario’s affectionate assault. He bit down with his front teeth sharply on one of my nipples and then the other, and when I squirmed, he nibbled softly at them, one-by-one, as if he could hardly hold back from making my chest his late-night snack.

“So beautiful, so sweet... Philippe... all I ever wanted... someone like you.”

I couldn’t form words, as just breathing was proving to be a challenge for me.

But when he moved even lower and his hungry lips began a slow and steady feasting on my dick, another first for me, I was lost. But if I was going to be completely honest, I wasn’t lost so much as I was Dario’s... even more than I was my own. Whatever he wanted, he only had to ask me and it would be his.

Dario was tireless in his exploration of me. His lips and his teeth and his amazingly talented tongue—not that I had anything to compare it to—devoured my dick, top to bottom and then all of it at once, like I was the only meal he’d ever need.

I writhed beneath him, agonizing in my effort to hold back the inevitable. “I have to come... I wanna do it... please, Dario, say I can....” I knew that I wasn’t making a bit of sense, but at the same time, I knew that he understood my predicament.

He pulled his lips from my dick only long enough to utter, “I will tell you when it’s time, Philippe... but I’m still hungry for you... not done with you just yet.” His breathing was as heavy as mine. “Do not come until I say...”

When I couldn’t stand it a second longer, Dario sucked the whole of my dick into his mouth, and then he reached up with both hands and gripped the sides of my face. And then, as my frantic eyes met his greedy ones, he nodded his permission for me to come. So I let myself go completely without removing my gaze from his for a fraction of a second.

I think I love him. Oh, God... I love him....

Philippe thrives on the sense of being Dario’s, in body. As you can see, his soul quickly follows suit. Philippe does not want to make certain types of decisions. He finds total freedom in being the submissive partner. His passivity somehow allows him the freedom and safety necessary for him to experience the intensity of an intimate relationship.

Out of Hiding by Mia Kerick is novel that EXPLORES…

*It explores a man’s tentative journey into rejoining the human race—starting with furthering his relationship with his niece, extending to developing a true friendship, further reaching out to involve a part of him that wants to teach, and finally touching on falling in love.

*The concept of hiding is deeply explored and with it, the answering of a profound question: can you ever truly escape from your own feelings?

*Dominance and submission, not through a formally agreed upon contract, but simply in the context of a natural evolution, both in and out of the bedroom, is revealed.

*Dance educational programs in New York City are explored. **Familiarity with the arts, in this story it is the art of dance, is essential to our very humanity.

*The actual movement of dance, itself, as perceived by a sensitive onlooker is examined. Philippe relates what he sees and hears of dance, and the accompanying music, to his understanding of life.

Out of Hiding is a novel in which I, as an author, allow myself to explore. I teach a bit—you will be exposed to an art form that is very important to my life—and I take a chance at making the backdrop to Philippe and Dario’s experience falling in love, as rich and vibrant as the love itself.


About Mia Kerick



Mia Kerick is the mother of four exceptional children—all named after saints—and five nonpedigreed cats—all named after the next best thing to saints, Boston Red Sox players. Her husband of twenty years has been told by many that he has the patience of Job, but don’t ask Mia about that, as it is a sensitive subject.
Mia focuses her stories on the emotional growth of troubled men and their relationships, and she believes that sex has a place in a love story, but not until it is firmly established as a love story. As a teen, Mia filled spiral-bound notebooks with romantic tales of tortured heroes (most of whom happened to strongly resemble lead vocalists of 1980s big-hair bands) and stuffed them under her mattress for safekeeping. She is thankful to Dreamspinner Press for providing her with an alternate place to stash her stories.
Mia is proud of her involvement with the Human Rights Campaign and cheers for each and every victory made in the name of marital equality. Her only major regret: never having taken typing or computer class in school, destining her to a life consumed with two-fingered pecking and constant prayer to the Gods of Technology.



  1. That excerpt is sexy, but damn.... beautiful.

  2. Hi, it's Mia!! Ashley thank you for that!! I like to make passion hot, but I like to create a lyrical flow of words. Thanks for noticing.

  3. Oh MY!!! I want a Philippe. He is just....omg words fail me!!