Saturday, January 25, 2014

New Review: Sweet Home by Tillie Cole

sweet home

Title: Sweet Home (Sweet Home, #1)

Authors: Tillie Cole

Genre: New Adult Romance

Release Date: October  13, 2013

goodreads-badge-add-plus grey


At age twenty, Molly Shakespeare knows a lot.

She knows Descartes and Kant.

She knows academia and Oxford.

She knows that the people who love you leave you.

She knows how to be alone.

But when Molly leaves England's grey skies behind to start a new life at the University of Alabama, she finds that she has a lot to learn — she didn't know a summer could be so hot, she didn't know students could be so intimidating, and she certainly didn't know just how much the folks of Alabama love their football.

When a chance encounter with notorious star quarterback, Romeo Prince, leaves her unable to think of anything but his chocolate-brown eyes, dirty-blond hair and perfect physique, Molly soon realises that her quiet, solitary life is about to dramatically change forever...

Mature New Adult novel — contains adult content, highly sexual situations and mature topics. Suited for ages 18 and up*



Lisa’s Review


Somethin' in your eyes, makes me wanna lose myself
Makes me wanna lose myself, in your arms
There's somethin' in your voice, makes my heart beat fast
Hope this feeling lasts, the rest of my life
If you knew how lonely my life has been
And how long I've been so alone
And if you knew how I wanted someone to come along
And change my life the way you've done
It feels like home to me, it feels like home to me
It feels like I'm all the way back where I come from
It feels like home to me, it feels like home to me
It feels like I'm all the way back where I belong  ♫

“Feels like Home” by Chantal Kreviazuk


sweet home 1


Sweet Home by Tillie Cole is a sweet, loosely adapted modern day retelling of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet. The stars align when a shy and introverted English girl and a moody and possessive football star meet. This lovely and romantic tale does tell the story of college aged star-crossed lovers; however, it also dives into how two individuals who feel so alone finally meet the one person who calls to their lonely soul. The odds are against them but should the hurdles be overcome, the victory will be that much sweeter.


sweet home 2

“I don’t remember Romeo being this pushy with Juliet!”

He arched his eyebrows meaningfully. "And look at how that worked out for them. My way is better - less death, more orgasms."

Molly Juliet Shakespeare is a twenty year old student from England who has recently moved to Alabama to complete her Master’s program at the University of Alabama. She is shy, introverted, extremely smart and also completely unprepared for college life in the United States. She has no clue about partying it up college style, comes across as a little geeky and most definitely does not understand just how important football is in Alabama. Therefore, when she catches the eye of the star quarterback, little does she know just how much her life is going to change.


sweet home 3


"He's standoffish, all moody and dark, but more importantly, he's the friggin' starting QB for the tide!"

Romeo Prince (a.k.a. Rome) is the star quarterback of the Alabama Crimson Tide. Despite his successful future as a football star pretty much being a certainty, Rome lives under the thumb of his very rich, cruel, controlling and hateful parents who have different plans for him. Rome keeps everyone at bay with his detached and angry demeanor. His dysfunctional family issues and dark past are all hidden behind his uncaring and man-whore ways. He is the unattainable, broody and sexy college star that is going to take the team all the way to the championships. When he spies a pretty yet geeky girl wearing bright orange crocs on the first day of classes, he is immediately intrigued by her. Little does he know that this reserved girl will change his life from one of inner solitude to one that holds peace and happiness.

"Hey, Mol."

"Hey, you."

"You gonna give up that sweet kiss?"

"If that's what you want."

"It definitely is."

When Rome and Molly meet their worlds irrevocably change. Here you have this nerdy girl who has no clue about football and Rome’s status. All she sees is this impressively beautiful guy who makes her heart stir (as well as other things). On the other hand you have this college bad-boy with anger issues who is, for the first time, is the one pursuing and willingly exposing his feelings and sensitive side. Predictable? Yes, of course. But, also very, very adorable and sweet. When Rome’s interfering and harsh parents begin to interfere in an attempt to establish their control over Rome, can the pair who are obviously from very different worlds come out on the other side?

While the pensive bad-boy meets sweet good girl storyline has been done many times before especially in the NA genre, I do think this author did a good job spinning this tale in a different light and making it her own. Yes, some parts were a little cheesy but I liked the fact that although this book was ultimately about a delightful romance, there also was a heavier and deeper plot interwoven into the storyline. Ultimately, Rome and Molly were lonely individuals who found solace and a home in one another. Something worth fighting for.

"Home is with the other half of your soul, the person who shares your grief and helps you carry the burden of loss. Home is with the person who throughout it all never gives up on you and brings you eternal happiness. That, Molly dear, is your home sweet home."


“You feel like home to me.”

All in all, Sweet Home is an engaging novel for NA lovers who like an aggressive bad-boy thrown into the mix along with a geeky (and lovely) heroine. This book was not overly angsty, which I loved. Ms. Cole has given her readers a sexy and fun story that did leave me swooning like a school-girl. Yes, I admit I swooned a little. Rome did weave his way into my heart. I have no doubt that this book and the following books planned in this series will garner much love from readers. I for one am looking forward to more.


 sweet home 4


Connect With The Author

Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads



  1. Hi Tillie,
    I enjoyed reading blurb and synopsis for Sweet Home. And Lisa's review. Of course, seeing as I am an Alabama chick, I might just be a little biased. I have added to my Goodreads list.
    Many thanks,
    Ginger aka robertsonreads